Jellyfish warning signs go up at Samui and Bang Saen beaches

webfact

Jellyfish warning signs go up at Samui and Bang Saen beaches

864_Jelly-fish-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Jellyfish warning signs are now posted on the beaches of the country's famous tourist destinations, Samui and Bang Saen,  after a dozen of tourists have been stung and injured.

In Samui’s Lamai beach, signs were erected warning of the invasion of beach by the jellyfish after two tourists were stung while go swimming in the sea yesterday.

The signs were posted by business and jetski operators on the beach warning of swimming in the sea after the dangerous jellyfish were sighted.

The two tourists were given first aid treatment with vinegar water by the beach guards, before taking them to hospital.

Both were later said by doctors to be in safe condition.

A jetski operator said almost 10 tourists were stung by unknown species of jellyfish last week at Lamai beach.

Meanwhile in Bang Saen district of Chonburi, warning signs went up on the beach after a large number of jellyfish were sighted.

Department of Marine and Coastal Resources’ head of the Eastern Gulf research centre Mr Supawat Kanjanatirek said large number of jellyfish were sighted and washed ashore at Bang Saen beach is a natural phemenon during this season.

He said fishermen were reluctant to go out fishing jellyfish because it fetches low price and the sea is turbulent.

Earlier there was report that fishermen at Bang Saen and Ang Sila were making 1,000 baht earning a day from selling jellyfish.

They sold them to buyers who said the jellyfish would be fermented first before selling.

Chalarmkao lifeguard at Bang Saen beach warned of swimming in the sea during this season as dangerous jellyfish were sighted.

They said they would use vinegar water to treat people who were stung first before sending them to hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/jellyfish-warning-signs-go-samui-bang-saen-beaches/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-22

Getting stung by jellyfish in Thailand is a new feature. Normally people get stung by police, jet ski operators, taxi and tuk-tuk drivers and cheap suit merchants.

Oh, forgot to add,  some Thai BGs.

Edited by ratcatcher

I got stung by Jelly fish Pulps or small one in Phuket years ago.

I only had to use a bit of vinegar to get rid of the stinging and

rash. I consider myself lucky, and am pretty cautious around

these creatures.  I guess other beaches will be the best

places to go and I will have to research and try to

find one , this coming Winter. I hope that there will

be some beaches that are not overtaken by jelly fish as I still

like to go wading in the ocean on the occasion.

Geezer

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Getting stung by jellyfish in Thailand is a new feature. Normally people get stung by police, jet ski operators, taxi and tuk-tuk drivers and cheap suit merchants.

Oh, forgot to add,  some Thai BGs.

It's nothing new, my friend got stung severly in Hua Hin about 10 years ago. It's really dangerous to swim near them.