Thailand’s Casual Racism Returns: Comedian in blackface wins 'Best Dressed' award at elite party

snoop1130

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the examples of so-called Thai racism cited on this thread come close to meeting the definition, casual or otherwise, of racism. Racism is defined as "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

If a white performer darkens his skin to appear black for a role which does nothing to demean black people, (i.e., Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder) no one considers that to be racist. Putting on black face to insult or demean black people is racist. This comedienne dressing up as a black rapper may reflect a lack of awareness of Western social and racial history, but it fails the definition of racism. The same can be said of almost all of the other so-called examples of Thai racism cited here. 

For example, the Darkie brand name and blackface logo were no doubt developed solely for the purpose of emphasizing how white your teeth can become by using this brand. Nothing in that logo would suggest to a Thai person that people with black skin are inferior. And by the way, inferior to who? Inferior to white people? Is that really the marketing message you think that the company was trying to convey? Or are people saying that this logo attempts to make Thai people feel superior to black people? I don't think so. People are just projecting Euro-centric racial sensibilities onto Thai culture. Very quickly, in response to feedback from Westerners who were offended by the historical significance of the blackface image, the company changed the logo to Darlie. My recollection is that the brand name was changed no later than 1994, over 20 years ago.

The Blackman janitorial bucket logo would indeed be viewed as racist in the West because it offensively suggests that janitors are most likely black. In Thailand, however, where (in case you haven't noticed) there aren't any black janitors, this logo certainly doesn't perpetuate a stereotype that all janitors are black. In all likelihood it was innocently introduced/borrowed from the West without the manufacture having a clue as to the racial stereotypes it would be perceived as perpetuating in the West.

The same is true for the swastika. Of course any Westerner is horrified to see such an image which evokes visceral memories of the Holocast. But anybody who thinks that Thais are anti-Semitic because on rare occasion the swastika (which to this day is a sacred symbol in many Indian faiths) is seen being sold by street vendors, is simply misinformed. Do you think the average Thai is running around speculating about who is and who isn't Jewish? Because world history is so poorly taught here, few Thais could even tell you who Hitler was. Any knowledge that have was probably gleaned from Hollywood movies such as Schindler's List,  Saving Private Ryan, or Inglourious Basterds. So judging Thais based on Western levels of awareness of the historical significance of this symbol is not fair.

Regarding the debate over whether "farang" is a racist label reserved exclusively for white foreigners or is used more generally for Westerners regardless of what color they are, I am resigned that there are those who want to perpetuate this grievance into perpetuity. I can only tell you that, while some This might make various distinctions based on skin color, it has been my long, long standing observation that the vast majority of Thais use the term in a colloquial, benign, non-racial manner to refer to Westerners in general.

Edited by Gecko123

On 8/22/2016 at 7:18 AM, Prbkk said:

It was only about 10 years ago that they changed Darkie toothpaste to Darlie. Some way still to go.

Originally, the toothpaste you mentioned was from Malaysia.  The name was changed when a Senator, on a visit to that country, complained about the name and its racial connotations. 

10 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

As do black and brown dolls of all shapes and sizes that do not ridicule black people like golliwogs did.

Wake up mate, clear the crap out of your eyes and stop making out that, somehow, your right to free speech is being curtailed just because you can't call a black person a sambo or a nig-nog and soften the impact with a sheepish chuckle afterwards as if it's harmless.

Multiculturalism has worked. I went back to London earlier this year and it was great seeing black, white, Asian kids hanging out together. The dinosaurs are dying out - thank God - and today, many kids don't even see colour

As for your final point, a little while ago, one of the luxury malls - I think it was Siam Paragon - had a huge poster in which Thais and/or farangs stretched their eyes to emulate Chinese people. There was outrage among Thai and foreigner alike about racism. 

You people who claim to be besieged by political correctness can always find some bullshit anecdote to support your absurd claims that, somehow, because the "harmless" racist jokes of cretins like Jim Davidson and Alf Garnett, all colour has been bleached out of life need to get with it and realise that socially conscious people who know how ridicule affects others simply won't tolerate it any mIn the UK kids (white, black, brown or whatever) are not allowed to play with once-popular traditional black dolls called golliwogs because they have been officially banned as racist. 

A few points for you to ponder.

I have no desire, as you seem to imagine, to call a black person a sambo or a nig-nog, though I should perhaps point out that black men (at least in Hollywood movies) frequently refer to one another as "nigger". The fact that they routinely refer to white folk as "honkies" doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe somebody needs to grow a thicker skin.

It is not a "claim" that political correctness is inimical to free speech - it is a fact. 

Your assertion that golliwog dolls "ridicule" black people is simply ridiculous.  Millions of children around the world grew up coveting and loving them and probably still would, if some idiot hadn't told them they were being racist (The same ,incidentally, can be said about the feelings of millions of people, old and young, for the incredibly popular Black and White Minstrels before some "progressive" authority decided they were dangerous).

Your claim that multiculturalism "has worked " is laughable.  Even David Cameron has been forced to acknowledge this myth. Why do you think so many Brits voted to quit the EU if it wasn't because of the massive social and economic problems mass immigration has fostered?

You clearly missed the point of the Alf Garnett sitcoms, which were all about lampooning - not condoning - outdated attitudes towards immigrants. Goodness knows what you would make of Little Britain, were it to be resurrected in all its irreverent glory! I guess you would ban all those lovely old Al Jolson movies, too?

I am no admirer of Jim Davidson's brand of humour. But I would have hoped that the freedom to take the Michael out of anyone he chooses, irrespective of creed, colour or religion (provided it is not designed to spread hatred) is something you, as a guest in a country where human rights scarcely exist, would wish to defend.

Your problem is one shared by so many minority groups and their misguided "progressive" supporters - the lack of a sense of humour. A hallmark of any civilised society is the ability to laugh at itself.  

We Brits are fortunate that you are here and not there to proselytise your pathetic and debilitating mantra of political correctness.

Edited by Krataiboy
errors

On 8/23/2016 at 8:50 PM, Shawn0000 said:

If generalizations are based on race then they are by definition racism.

Try that theory out when your car breaks down in a ghetto at 2am.

A racist statement?

58 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Try that theory out when your car breaks down in a ghetto at 2am.

A racist statement?

I come from a place that some cowardly white people say they cannot go because they are white, you would call it a ghetto, I do not, I call it home.  Xenophobia is just another phobia, you would do better to try to get over it than to try to justify it.

Good for her and so what? She was joking. 

God forbid that the totalitarian scourge of western style political correctness should take hold here in Thailand. All those pathetically fragile humourless people hiding behind Twitter and getting offended on other people's behalf. 

What if there was no racist intent?
I am sick of thought control...
Being told what's acceptable to think.
It excludes everything accept buggery and transgender and homosexual content( unless against it) 
Then your homo phobic....even though that means fear of homosexuals.

Which I don't fear ...but some disgust me....but I tolerate them.
I don't agree with gay marriage but that is my thoughts.

PC trespass on free thought.
So good on Thais not giving a F&@k about PC.

In Australia they are dragging kids over the coals for what's perceived to be Racists comments and actions ( like this)

Laws are made.

A few years ago a TV skit made national headlines .
For those unaware it appears below.
It involved doctors ( some surgeon s ) dressed as the Jackson five.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

7 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Good for her and so what? She was joking. 

God forbid that the totalitarian scourge of western style political correctness should take hold here in Thailand. All those pathetically fragile humourless people hiding behind Twitter and getting offended on other people's behalf. 

And the so tolerant Thais won't get upset at what they consider as insults to Thais and Thainess   ?

Prime example climbing a rock that only locals knew was   '  sacred  ' .

Edited by NongKhaiKid

On 8/28/2016 at 9:06 PM, Shawn0000 said:

I come from a place that some cowardly white people say they cannot go because they are white, you would call it a ghetto, I do not, I call it home.  Xenophobia is just another phobia, you would do better to try to get over it than to try to justify it.

Wow....so sweet.  I guess I will try and change my outlook. I'm done with being cowardly and white.  I'll give the ghetto a fair shot. When I'm next in the windy city....or on a pier in my hometown. 

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

Wow....so sweet.  I guess I will try and change my outlook. I'm done with being cowardly and white.  I'll give the ghetto a fair shot. When I'm next in the windy city....or on a pier in my hometown. 

Stay white, just try to man up a bit.