Cold weather (lightweight) gear

AllanB

I have done 98% of my biking in hot weather, but last year we did a short tour of Laos and for two days in the mountains we were both quite cold.

We are returning to Laos later this year, but further north and higher and need some clobber for those cold days.

We will be travelling 2 up on a 200cc Lifan so luggage weight/bulk is at an absolute premium and was looking some some ideas of what to take. Stuff available in LOS.

We have a couple of nylon pack-a-mac jackets which should cut down on wind-chill, but wondered what other stuff works.

A jumper/sweater.  A good quality one with breathable materials and that wick away any sweat. Northface do some great stuff although a little expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Like you mentioned, a rain coat can cut out the wind chill factor.

It can get dam cold if you go to the plain of jars or Phongsaly in the north of laos. You can get pea soup thick fog. Some form of waterproofs can be needed, not heavy weight, just enough to keep you dry, meaning warm too.

Layer your clothes, T shirt, jumper, light jacket, waterproofs. You can always take it off, but not so easy to add to.

We have done quite well in the past travelling light and I have been looking at what climbers take. I seem to remember many (guys) wore women's tights to keep legs warm, they weigh nothing and are quite warm. Last time we were in the UK we picked up some thermal under-vests.

Last time we were in Laos my face/head were really cold, with my nose running like a train. Not sure what to do about that.....

3 hours ago, AllanB said:

Last time we were in Laos my face/head were really cold, with my nose running like a train. Not sure what to do about that.....

Well a full-face helmet of course, possibly with a balaclava.

Simple scarves have also been available for quite some time now.

Thin fleeces. I bought mine in decathlon in the UK and I'm guessing you will find them in Decathalon in BKK, they had other cold weather gear that you wouldn't find in other sports shops in Thailand.

if you want something an extra light base layer, there are brand name-knock off mx jerseys on aliexpress for 500B, they make me stink in the heat when worn under a jacket but are useful in a variety of situations - even in the summer when slow trail riding to keep off the sun and scratches from branches.

Not forgetting your feet, I am still impressed with my Forma Adventure boots (even tho the sole fell off one, I got it stuck on in a local market) they have a goretex membrane, along with a pair of cheap skiing socks, which keeps your feet bone dry and warm (not hot).

i can't believe the times when I rode in ankle boots and the water ran down my waterproof pants and filled my boots from the top. Having dry feet makes everything else easier to handle.

I bought a load of those nylon gaiters from eBay. They are great for a variety of uses - protecting your neck from the sun, to cover your nose and mouth when riding dusty dirt roads, people like to pull them right over their heads to absorb sweat, they can be pulled down to keep your earplugs/earbuds tight and keep out road noise. Well worth the 30B each. I was in the Cameron highlands a few weeks back, I didn't take one off for 3 days, just having one around my neck just kept me warm and a provided a comfortable feeling. The cold comes as a bit of a shock when you spend most of your life in shorts.

i think a good buy would a Krama, a traditional Cambodian scarf to keep out the cold air from around your neck in the evening or when off the bike.

Edited by recom273

Fantastic! Thanks, where is the Decathlon in BKK, I buy all my stuff from them in France. Have 5 Quechua shirts, super thin and cool, dry in 4.5 seconds, 25 Euro though. Would like to take a look.....

I have a biggish nose (read toucan) and it gets really burned, I wear a big hanky but it is a bit restrictive to breathing (acute bronchitis, yes I.m falling apart), tried sun block but it wipes off with the sweat. I did think about a motocross helmet with the big (beak) peak, but then cant have a visor, which I like. So is there any other hooter cover available, or DIY gadget?

MrsB could do with a burka but it may send out the wrong message, so she, well she wears about 15 items of head gear.

I had a good pair of boots and the soles fell of them on a trip to Loei, so I chucked them, wish I hadn't now. Perhaps the western glue melts in this climate.

Cheers

Take a look in the Decathalon website, I went to one at mega bang-na, there info is there on the Asian site, along with what they stock - I found everything on my shopping list - a good head torch, sleeping bags, liners, pillows, foldable spoon. I was impressed.

Layering is key and gives the possibility of various combinations.

I use : T shirt + Sleeved shirt + fleece + light jacket + ventilated riding jkt&trs + lightweight waterproofs

I ran into very cold fog and had a day of cold rain but only had summer gloves = freezing numb fingers, so now I carry a huge pair of rubber washing up gloves as overgloves;-)