If You Saw This Happening

Cigarette Burn

When people who do go to the aid of someone in distress are asked why they did it, they often have difficulty explaining their actions. The summary, because "I just had to" is often given as an explanation.

Either you are the kind of person that will go to the rescue or you are not.

People who, prior to such an experience say they would way in are perhaps responding to what they feel are noble motives.

Likewise people who say they would not, giving 'sensible excuses' are perhaps responding to the most ignoble of motives.

However, what is for sure, non of us really know how we would respond unless we face the choice.

I would like to believe I would intervene, but the basis of my view is that I, like everyone else, wouldn't know.

What is clear to me is, people who do go to the aid of others deserve respect on all levels for their actions.

If you have access to a phone, i think calling the police goes without saying. But by the time they get there, the victim may well be dead. All decent people would attempt to scare them off. Once disturbed they may flee the scene, and a physical confrontation may not even be required. It's worth taking the chance to save someones life, surely?

"Happens everyday", everyday ?, really, I think not, exaggeration,

and it's all second hand,

Sorry, in my case it is not second hand.

I am working with the local rescue volonteers here in Bangkok in several districts, and therefore i do personally come across such cases regularly.

And these sort of cases are increasing.

I would step in and quit probably join the person on the ground being beaten. But if I lived through it I could at least live with myself knowing I at least tried.

And if you didn't live through it what would you like the BiB to tell your wife and kids?

My family should be told I died for something that mattered more to me than my own well being.

They understand I know who and what I am and they know who and what I am. They would be hurt but they would understand some things matter more than our life.

Ghandi understood this but used a different approach. It is hard to make a decision to choose not to help someone when you know you will die to.

The choice is only "not suicide" if it appears you have a chance to survive.

There was an incident simmilar to this in the UK a while back, to boys abducted a toddler from a shopping center and beat him to death on some railway tracks.

The little boy was called Jamie. I just find it hard to believe that alot of people on this board would have just called the police and not gone to his aid.

Difference is that the toddler was abducted and beaten to death by 6 year old kids, and not by potentially armed and highly dangerous gangsters, as you will find in the scanario you decribed here in your first post.

If you think that my mention of a crowd of Thai boys and girls in my first post gives you the idea they were potentially armed and highly dangerous gangsters then you have a strange way of thinking.

If you think that my mention of a crowd of Thai boys and girls in my first post gives you the idea they were potentially armed and highly dangerous gangsters then you have a strange way of thinking.

If you meant 6 year old children, then i wonder <deleted> you start this thread anyhow? :D

You just grab'em by the ears and slap their behinds. :o

Edited by ColPyat

^^The situation described is not a fight. A small girl is being beaten to death. You could seriously stand by and watch that happen, just because of concern for your own safety? You wouldn't even make an attempt to scare them away? You sir, are a coward.

and you sir are remarkably brave behind a keyboard. gee can i change my answer?

ITS HYPOTHETICAL!! get over your brave self.

If you meant 6 year old children, then i wonder <deleted> you start this thread anyhow? :D

:D

There was no mention of age in the post, it stated a crowd of Thai boys and girls.

please dont twist it to excuse yourself.

Cheers.

^^The situation described is not a fight. A small girl is being beaten to death. You could seriously stand by and watch that happen, just because of concern for your own safety? You wouldn't even make an attempt to scare them away? You sir, are a coward.

I stand by what i've said, that would be my response. Decent people would agree with me. Not everyone is a coward who would watch a small girl being beaten to death by a group of adolescents.

"Happens everyday", everyday ?, really, I think not, exaggeration,

and it's all second hand,

Sorry, in my case it is not second hand.

I am working with the local rescue volonteers here in Bangkok in several districts, and therefore i do personally come across such cases regularly.

And these sort of cases are increasing.

There was a time when I was a very young pup that I drove ambulance in a tough area. We were required not to enter premises unless the police were on scene to clear it first in most cases. I saw a lot. I have no delusions as to what people are capable of and I have a good sense of when you can rush in and not become part of the mess.

Through most of my life I have encountered dangerous situations all over the globe. I also know what I can live with because of this. But I have met wonderful people everywhere. Someday I may very well misjudge and looking back just being lucky has accounted for my survival in some cases. Realizing that can be very disturbing. But each of our comfort zones and acceptance of risk vary. Somebody that timidly enters a danger zone that has never done so is much less likely to come out the other side alive. I have no doubt due to your experiences in Thailand you know this particular subject better than I. But I would still do what I had to do. I do know the axiom that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it and ignoring your experience could be detrimental to my health. But were I to ignore my experiences I would not be true to who and what I am.

I hope you can continue your good work. It is needed everywhere.

Guesthouse had a good response.

I think that when the situation arrives, you would react without enough time to think it through. Your brain does some reaction-time calculation akin to the fight-or-flight mechanism and you're either in there fighting/trying to help, or you're running around calling the police/calling for help. Your brain would assess the situation, and the response signal sent would depend on your character.

I believe it rather naive to say for certainty that one would definitely jump in or definitely would not jump in... there are too many factors that go into the equation right at the moment where you make that decision (I would venture to say that in an extreme case it's not even a decision, rather more of a reaction)

edit sp

Edited by teej

There was no mention of age in the post, it stated a crowd of Thai boys and girls.

Cheers.

Jeezas... :D

Your example was the infamous case in the UK, and sorry, the kids involved were 6, or so.

Now, age does matter though, don't you agree?

6 year old kids you give a slap on the backside.

Do the same with a crowd of 17 year old kids and you are history.

Cheers.

Jeezas... :D

Your example was the infamous case in the UK, and sorry, the kids involved were 6, or so.

Now, age does matter though, don't you agree?

6 year old kids you give a slap on the backside.

Do the same with a crowd of 17 year old kids and you are history.

And you would watch while a group of 17 year old girls and boys beat a little girl while she was out cold?

I stand by what i've said, that would be my response. Decent people would agree with me. Not everyone is a coward who would watch a small girl being beaten to death by a group of adolescents.

you sir are a fine figure of a man. no more needs saying.

Guesthouse had a good response.

I think that when the situation arrives, you would react without enough time to think it through. Your brain does some reaction-time calculation akin to the fight-or-flight mechanism and you're either in there fighting/trying to help, or you're running around calling the police/calling for help. Your brain would assess the situation, and the response signal sent would depend on your character.

I believe it rather naive to say for certainty that one would definitely jump in or definitely would not jump in... there are too many factors that go into the equation right at the moment where you make that decision (I would venture to say that in an extreme case it's not even a decision, rather more of a reaction)

edit sp

I agree with this.

Character means different things to different people. I think it is accurate as long as it is not an attempt to say something is good or bad which it often is. It is a conglomeration of our learnings and experiences. Each society has different values and therefore what may be good in one place may not be considered good in another. It is always a difficult thing to determine because of this.

There was a time when I was a very young pup that I drove ambulance in a tough area. We were required not to enter premises unless the police were on scene to clear it first in most cases. I saw a lot. I have no delusions as to what people are capable of and I have a good sense of when you can rush in and not become part of the mess.

Through most of my life I have encountered dangerous situations all over the globe. I also know what I can live with because of this. But I have met wonderful people everywhere. Someday I may very well misjudge and looking back just being lucky has accounted for my survival in some cases. Realizing that can be very disturbing. But each of our comfort zones and acceptance of risk vary. Somebody that timidly enters a danger zone that has never done so is much less likely to come out the other side alive. I have no doubt due to your experiences in Thailand you know this particular subject better than I. But I would still do what I had to do. I do know the axiom that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it and ignoring your experience could be detrimental to my health. But were I to ignore my experiences I would not be true to who and what I am.

I hope you can continue your good work. It is needed everywhere.

There is a reason for the requirement of not entering before cops are at the scene. For one - they are armed, and trained.

Here in Thailand there is no such direct requirement, it just is common sense. Too young and keen volonteers do regularly get injured in such cases when group leaders are not present.

I have seen situations where even cops present ran and let the thing blow out before coming back. Needless to say that i took a hike as well (oh yes, Rambo, i know that might look cowardish to you :o ).

Many times we were called into situations, only with the radio code for a fight, and when we arrived there was a huge thing still going on, and we drove off as fast as we could as people started attacking us, throwing bottles and stones at us.

The importance is keeping a cool head and assess the situation fast, and don't play hero. Sometimes you do see things that are very very bad, and you gotta calculate, and not just react instinctively. That's the first thing that would get you in serious trouble.

A crowd of Thai boys and girls kicking and pounding a small Thai girl to the ground and then when she was unconcious taking turns grabbing her by the back of the head and kicking her in the face and slamming her head against the cement.

My first responce(without reading past this first post in the thread) would be to grab the girl and take her to the hospital. For me I couldn't sleep had I just watched as her life slipped away at the hands of some juvinile lynch mob. No, I would have to take her if it ment flattening some punk kids in the proccess or even getting hurt myself.

Whatever she did, if she was already beat up and knocked out like that, she paid for it already.

Well Said, Man up, you only live once people.

And another amateur internet hero crawls out of the woods... :o

There was an incident simmilar to this in the UK a while back, to boys abducted a toddler from a shopping center and beat him to death on some railway tracks.

The little boy was called Jamie. I just find it hard to believe that alot of people on this board would have just called the police and not gone to his aid.

Common Valor isn't. Many expats here are deathly afraid of any confrontation with Thais. And in many cases for good reason, as it's usually a bad idea. Or perhaps the people in question aren’t exactly physical people and their aid would be more useful if it was calling someone else.

However I personally believe that if you are giving the opportunity to do a such a noble and just thing as save the life of a child, then you gotta man up and do it. It's just the right thing to do.

But I guess this requires the Lion philosophy of life i.e. "Better do live a day as a Lion than a life time as a sheep" apparently this thread has no shortage of wool :o ain't that right Colpyat...say it like you mean it "Baaaaaaaaa"

Edited by Cpt_M0ney_Sh0t