Proof of residence letter from immigration?

Im trying to book the Thai driving test in Bangkok at the moment and Ive been told that I need to get a letter that states my proof of residence and this can be obtained from either my embassy or immigration but the embassy option is expensive and slow so I want to go to my local immigration centre in SamutPrakarn today. What exactly am I asking them for (a lot of the staff there dont speak much english so knowing what its called in thai would help), what do I need to take with me and how long does it take and cost?

thanks

You can download and complete this form that is in Thai and English to give to them. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

If you are doing 90 days reports to them you may not need anything other than you passport since they would have your address in their records. 

If not you would need proof of residence such as a rental agreement.

Every office has their own requirements so is difficult to predict what they will want.

Are local Immigration offices required to issue Residency Certificates?  

Last week, Chiang Mai Immigration posted a sign that they are no longer issuing them the sign said something to the effect that there is  "system problem" and "go to your Embassy/Consulate".  In truth, it is more likely related to increased scrutiny of their relationship with the "visa agency" that had been processing Residency Certificates at 500 baht each.  Up until last week, that "visa agency" had it's office right next door to CM Immigration-Promenada Mall, but now has relocated inside the mall.  The discontinuing of Residency Certificates coincided with their move.