Residency Certificate - which offices won't do?

Just last week, the Chiang Mai Immigration office announced they are no longer issuing Certificates of Residency.  The sign at the Info Desk outside their Promenada Mall office says something about "system upgrade. Go to your Consulate/Embassy".  The "visa agency" that had been next door to Imm. also moved to a new office upstairs in the mall right when the Res. Cert. service was discontinued.  Previously, their people had processed the document for CM Imm for 500 baht or you could wait a month to pick up a free one.  Now, you can't even get a free one if you're willing to wait.  Sadly, the U.S. Consulate in CM is closing for remodeling until Nov. 1, so that option isn't available for Americans for a while.

So, what other Immigration offices refuse to offer Cert. of Residency, even for a price?

CR's are needed basically just for DL and or a vehicle sell or buy. It was never a law that immigration had to issue cr's they just did. You need to check with the local DLT and see what their requirement is for a cr. The 3 major DLT's in Surin accept a YTB or letter from the BIB. Unfortunately Buriram province who also has to use SI there DLT will not accept BIB letter for a vehicle registration only for a DL and getting a ytb is another story. So for those about this area its off to Bangkok.

This is the second time imm. in chiang mai has stopped issueing the certificate, the first time was because of the cronic bitching by the holier than thou club it is free ok go to embassy and pay double or triple

that phanom dlt accepts (and requests!) the tm 30 as proof of address. so did the amphur when i got married.

immigration (in nakhon phanom) is required to issue it free of charge if you turn up within 24 hrs of having received your entry stamp.

i know, everything is different everywhere in thailand but if your embassy is in bangkok this is worth trying to safe you some ฿.

Just done this for motorbike licence in Kanchanaburi...

Immigration here wont issue them.

I went to city hall where Accompanied by my house owner(I rent), I was issued with 3 copies of an official letter .

These are acceptable, and valid for a year apparently.....

Job done.....

The post about getting a Thai ID card is very useful, thanks, so why don't you all do that and avoid the problem? Perhaps I'm being dense, but a Thai ID seems to solve a lot of issues regarding interaction with Thai agencies 

I've just had the runaround trying to get a CR for a driving licence from Chiang Mai immigration.
Now I'm having to weigh up the big cost of going to Bangkok against how many fines for driving without a licence.
I have everything else to get a licence but not the mandatory CR.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

5 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Can you get a Thai I D if you rent??

The problem would not be getting the ID card it would be getting the yellow house book that is a prerequisite to get one.

The owner of the place you are renting would have to give permission for you to get a yellow house book based upon their blue book,

16 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Can you get a Thai I D if you rent??

Rent?

As opposed to what ?

The options are surely 'ownership' - of a condo - or renting/lodging.

Either way it will not prevent you getting a Thai ID card, as long as you have a yellow book.

You can get RC at your main police station used to get mine from there before I got yellow book usualy in and out in 15 mins and yes I paid and no recipt which is/was fine by me 200 bht doesn't break the bank

I tried the main station in the city and the traffic station next to the river, both gave me the brush off.

My Thai girlfriend said that with the new regime of "good guys in, bad guys out" many civil servants (if that's what you call them) won't do anything other than what the rules say.

Maybe a out of town one might?

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The post about getting a Thai ID card is very useful, thanks, so why don't you all do that and avoid the problem? Perhaps I'm being dense, but a Thai ID seems to solve a lot of issues regarding interaction with Thai agencies 

You have to have YTB first before you can get an ID and you need a CR to get the YTB.

10 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

I tried the main station in the city and the traffic station next to the river, both gave me the brush off.

My Thai girlfriend said that with the new regime of "good guys in, bad guys out" many civil servants (if that's what you call them) won't do anything other than what the rules say.

Maybe a out of town one might?

I was going to suggest try the out of town police stations they have seemed to be more friendly. Also as another poster suggested try your amphur, some do and some don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Now that depends on your Amphur I didn't need one for yellow book.

Agree it does depend on your amphur. I did have to get a cr for a YTB in Chiang Mai. Where are you?

Edited by khwaibah

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

The whole thing is illogical. Why won't a yellow book do,  and what about the 90 day reports?

What if you pay cash for a car, is it important where you live?

Yes, it's important to give proof of address because that is recorded in the registration book.

If you want to pay cash without changing the registration, then you'll have a problem taxing the vehicle.

If you want to sell in the future you'll have even bigger problems.

21 minutes ago, Faz said:

Yes, it's important to give proof of address because that is recorded in the registration book.

If you want to pay cash without changing the registration, then you'll have a problem taxing the vehicle.

If you want to sell in the future you'll have even bigger problems.

Yes, but won't the yellow book do???

Part of the problems we face as foreigners when dealing with government departments, is the ill advised or poorly trained front line staff that is our first contact.

A CR is usually issued for a specific procedure and is only valid for a limited period of use, usually 30 days.

A YTB is valid for as long as you remain at that address and should be accepted by all government offices for any procedures.

When I obtained my first DL, the DLT wanted a CR as proof of address.

By the time I return to get my 5 year DL I'd obtained a YTB. However the DLT still asked for a CR.

The front line staff had been told that all foreigners needed a CR, so that is what they expected.

After consulting a senior manager and arguing that a Tabien Baan was in effect a permanent CR because my details were now registered on the Civil Register and the same document is provided by Thais for the same purpose, they relented and issued my new DL.

They now accept YTB and CR on the front desk.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Faz said:

Yes of course it should. The YTB is in effect a permanent CR.

Read my above post as to one of the reasons we sometimes face problems.

Are the authorities accepting the New PINK ID card as prof of address as the YTB and CR?