Monitor Lizards

GuyDow

They keep getting into the hen house and eating the eggs. I am in discussions with a view to improving the security of the hen house and need to refer to them often.

I know enough not to call them "hia". I have been using "tdua ngern tdua tong" but this is a bit of a mouthful.

Is there a snappier but polite way of referring to them ?

"tdua ngern tdua tong" is correct.

"hia" and "dtua hia" are vulgar but arguably still correct as an everyday term for the animal.  They are commonly used.

"hia" is used in other expressions too. I've never used it and never will.  I strongly recommend that you avoid using it and understand how vulgar and inappropriate it is when you hear others using it.

เหี้ย is in the dictionary and there is no mention of it being vulgar. People calling people เหี้ย is vulgar. What about saying ตัวเหี้ย if you fear to be thought vulgar?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have just re read your post; you are saying that the term is commonly used so why not use it when there is no chance of being thought vulgar as is the poster's case? Oddly, the 2525 edition of the RID doesn't have ตัวเงินตัวทอง

Asked my brother in law about this last night. He was adamant that it was impolite to use the word  เหี้ย  . In fact, he wouldn't say it aloud. He spelled it it out letter by letter. 

Looks like I'll be sticking to  ตัวเงินตัวทอ .

Dtua Heia....   That's what they are called... its not vulgar.  Calling a person by that name is very vulgar and rude.  If you are talking to someone about the actual animal eating you chicken eggs then its quite correct to call it what it is.

I suppose its like calling someone a 'bitch'.  But if you are seriously talking about dogs and refer to the females as bitches that is not rude.

Whatever you do you need to protect your chickens better so the lizards can't get into the hen house.  Next they will be eating you actual chickens. 

Archived