Want neighborhood suggestions with access to Sukumvit BTS

dblaisde

Hi All,

I'm looking for an apartment in an interesting expat neighborhood in Bangkok with easy access to the BTS Sukumvit line or the MRT. The closer the neighborhood is to Asok the better, but I'd like to pay no more than about 20K baht/mo. rent, and access to good walking and parks is more important than being close to Asok, as long as I'm close to the BTS/MRT. I'm used to living in a hotel room, so the apartment can be small.

Any suggestions?

PS I've live in BKK for 15 years, but in a hotel in Banlampoo. I know nothing about Bangkok neighborhoods in "New Bangkok".

thanks in advance

Edited by dblaisde

You should just about find a studio for 20k around Asoke. Just go check some condos, some better than others. Some of the sois are nice and relatively quiet for Bangkok, others like Soi 11 & 23 are awful. Take a walk and discover for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Take a look at Baan Siri on Sukhumvit Soi 10. There are a couple of 50+ sqm units on hipflat for 25,000 a month. If you paid a year in advance you might be able to get a deal with the price.

Sukhumvit Soi 10 would be perfect for you because the end of the road furthest from Sukhumvit has an entrance to Benjakiti Park, and also a walkway along the khlong that takes you to Lumpini Park. At the Sukhumvit Road end of Soi 10 you have Chuvit Gardens. You won't get better than that combination.

The majority of the time Soi 10 is quiet, apart from twice a day when the gate at the end of the road is opened to allow rush hour traffic through.

It's not an expat area as such, but it's close to the BTS (about 500m) and MRT and Asoke. For expat, go 1 stop from Asoke to Phrom Phong and have a beer at the Robin Hood or Royal Oak on 33/1. If that doesn't appeal you can go hang out at the Tescos food court at On Nut. Obviously Sois 8, 4, 7, 11 and 13 are all close by too.

Victory Monument BTS area is not particularly close to Asok (7 stops) but it does have a very nice public park off Soi Rang Nam,  decent apartments in your price range and is a very interesting neighborhood with lots of food, shopping and entertainment options.

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

Take a look at Baan Siri on Sukhumvit Soi 10. There are a couple of 50+ sqm units on hipflat for 25,000 a month. If you paid a year in advance you might be able to get a deal with the price.

Sukhumvit Soi 10 would be perfect for you because the end of the road furthest from Sukhumvit has an entrance to Benjakiti Park, and also a walkway along the khlong that takes you to Lumpini Park. At the Sukhumvit Road end of Soi 10 you have Chuvit Gardens. You won't get better than that combination.

The majority of the time Soi 10 is quiet, apart from twice a day when the gate at the end of the road is opened to allow rush hour traffic through.

It's not an expat area as such, but it's close to the BTS (about 500m) and MRT and Asoke. For expat, go 1 stop from Asoke to Phrom Phong and have a beer at the Robin Hood or Royal Oak on 33/1. If that doesn't appeal you can go hang out at the Tescos food court at On Nut. Obviously Sois 8, 4, 7, 11 and 13 are all close by too.

Just now, bark said:

Soi 10 , I didn't like living there. Too many condos and hotels. Very busy with cars, hard to walk. ( My opinion).

I agree with On Nut. Lots there, cheaper. I lived in a 95 sqm. for 14,000 bt. Five year old building. Lots of cute girls.

Warning. When you think you have found the right place. Spend time in the area. Rent hotel near by, and go to the location,

different times of the day. Good luck.

2 hours ago, bark said:

Soi 10 , I didn't like living there. Too many condos and hotels. Very busy with cars, hard to walk. ( My opinion).

I agree with On Nut. Lots there, cheaper. I lived in a 95 sqm. for 14,000 bt. Five year old building. Lots of cute girls.

Warning. When you think you have found the right place. Spend time in the area. Rent hotel near by, and go to the location,

different times of the day. Good luck.

Bark, I've never spent any time in On Nut.  But I agree that soi 10 is not the easiest soi to walk.  How do you get around On Nut?  It didn't seem to me that there was a lot within easy walking distance of the BTS.  It looks more like a place that you can really only navigate with a car.

15 hours ago, Tom Parkinson said:

Bark, I've never spent any time in On Nut.  But I agree that soi 10 is not the easiest soi to walk.  How do you get around On Nut?  It didn't seem to me that there was a lot within easy walking distance of the BTS.  It looks more like a place that you can really only navigate with a car.

Get a condo, right on Sukhumvit. Skytrain is right there, Tesco mall, restaurants etc. Then Skytrain everywhere.

Save 10,000 baht/month. It is worth it.

23 hours ago, blackcab said:

Soi 10 is dreadful

It's dead, zero street food, no 7-11 (so unless you actually like walking 300-400 meters carrying your drinking water supply from the teeny-tiny 7-11 on soi 12, it's a major pain) and when the power goes out, it's out for hours on end because there are very few if any business users that the MEA need to keep sweet. 

Baan Siri soi 10 condos don't have hot water in the bathroom sinks and the shower mixer taps are impossible to get the temperature right if you like lukewarm showers. It's either scalding hot or cold.

I moved back to Asoke within 6 months - to hell with the security deposit - I saw about 8 renters moving out during my aborted stay

Do not pay rent for the year in advance in any condo - if shit goes wrong, the owner has no motivation to do repairs as they've already got your money.

I'm sure you can find decent (if a little dated and small) condos in Asoke for 20k 

Not sure why people slate Asoke as much as they do.

Fair enough if you prefer countryside etc but I love the buzz around here.

Close to all the best supermarkets, a plethora of choices for street food, BTS and MRT, loads of moto-taxis and taxis, cinemas, gyms, clubs and it's a priority area for the MEA so on the rare occasion there is a power cut, it lasts minutes, not hours.

Yes it is a bit more expensive than places like On Nut but my experience has been that you tend to get a better class of neighbour who isn't likely to be blasting music at 3am on a Monday night

Thanks all for replying...there's some good info.

I was thinking that commuting from a nice quiet expat community on good transportation lines *to* the maybe-not-so-close Asoke area would keep both noise and price down, so I don't necessarily need a ground-zero apartment.

I like peace and quiet (age 70 in a few months) and am used to living simply (aka cheaply). I don't need the latest in style and am not trying to impress anyone, and there's just one of me. I *do* need a working elevator though (knees). So....maybe someplace on the MRT/BTS line a number of stops (or even quite a number) from Asok would be fine. I need my hour walks regularly, so quiet streets and a park would hit the spot.

PS: Makes me wonder whether anybody has done a rundown (say in the Bangkok Post or some other mag) on the various Bangkok neighborhoods, their character, price and amenities. Seems like a natural.

Edited by dblaisde

5 hours ago, dblaisde said:

Thanks all for replying...there's some good info.

I was thinking that commuting from a nice quiet expat community on good transportation lines *to* the maybe-not-so-close Asoke area would keep both noise and price down, so I don't necessarily need a ground-zero apartment.

I like peace and quiet (age 70 in a few months) and am used to living simply (aka cheaply). I don't need the latest in style and am not trying to impress anyone, and there's just one of me. I *do* need a working elevator though (knees). So....maybe someplace on the MRT/BTS line a number of stops (or even quite a number) from Asok would be fine. I need my hour walks regularly, so quiet streets and a park would hit the spot.

PS: Makes me wonder whether anybody has done a rundown (say in the Bangkok Post or some other mag) on the various Bangkok neighborhoods, their character, price and amenities. Seems like a natural.

Get on the MRT /BTS and explore for yourself...what's wrong with you??

15 hours ago, dblaisde said:

http://bk.asia-city.com/

BK Magazine actually has some good lifestyle articles about the various neighborhoods around Bangkok. The online version is easily searchable.

Maybe you should consider some of the neighborhoods on the other end of the BTS such as Ari, Sanam Pao and Saphan Kwai.

21 minutes ago, dddave said:

http://bk.asia-city.com/

BK Magazine actually has some good lifestyle articles about the various neighborhoods around Bangkok. The online version is easily searchable.

Maybe you should consider some of the neighborhoods on the other end of the BTS such as Ari, Sanam Pao and Saphan Kwai.

thanks.