Ferry to connect two vacation spots, Pattaya and Hua Hin

webfact

Ferry to connect two vacation spots, Pattaya and Hua Hin

By Coconuts Bangkok 

6884778291_b092cde555_z.jpg

Photo: Philip Roeland/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- The East-West Ferry, a proposed government project that will link to link Hua Hin to Pattaya, should be open for rides by 2020.

It currently takes about five hours to drive the 345 kilometers between Pattaya and Hua Hin, but the ferry service should take less than two hours since it goes straight across the Gulf of Thailand. The distance of the proposed route is only 105 kilometers.

The Marine Department has ordered a feasibility study for the project, which should be done by the end of this year.

Full story:  http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/23/ferry-connect-two-vacation-spots-pattaya-and-hua-hin

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-24

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure there used to be a conventional ferry on that route but it failed financially.

Now, if they had a fast ferry, say a Jetfoil :-

Or maybe even a WIG (Wing in Ground Effect)

CourtesyIncatCrowther-60516.jpg

IC14221_Press03-60537.jpg

With one of these (used in Singapore) it would take 2 hours to do the trip one-way. It cruises at 28 knots or 53 km/hr. It's hardly scary and is usually a very smooth ride. I've traveled back and forth from Singapore to Batam many times. The problem is, would there be the market to justify the purchase one or more of these.

Edited by TimTang

financially not profitable, unless the government builds the infrastructure, modernizes the pier, landing etc.  Then the Return on Investment doesn't have to deal with the sunk cost.  Otherwise the price won't be supported by enough people.  There just isn't that much traffic or demand.  But somebody will probably generate a study or report that shows it is feasible, the military government will approve it, the people's money will be spent on it, the contract(s) probably will go to people the military wants it to go to, friends, or family, business associates, etc.  There just isn't any accountability under the current government, and I use the term government loosely.

1 hour ago, TimTang said:

With one of these (used in Singapore) it would take 2 hours to do the trip one-way. It cruises at 28 knots or 53 km/hr. It's hardly scary and is usually a very smooth ride. I've traveled back and forth from Singapore to Batam many times. The problem is, would there be the market to justify the purchase one or more of these.

In my comment I specifically said Thai ferries, as per the op photo, not those in Singapore, or anywhere else, at least at this stage, assume any other type of craft, or the capabilities of the crew.

17 minutes ago, Rorri said:

In my comment I specifically said Thai ferries, as per the op photo, not those in Singapore, or anywhere else, at least at this stage, assume any other type of craft, or the capabilities of the crew.

Yes...the one in the photo looks a little dodgy and probably doesn't go that fast anyway. Here's a 'Thai' ferry that goes from Hua Hin to Kho Phangan which is more like the type they would use in Pataya.

tour_img-410554-145.jpg

Edited by TimTang

I think many would be surprised to find out just how rough the Gulf of Thailand can get.

Knowing how seasick many locals get I would be a real "vomit-Comet" unless they use a sufficiently large vessel. If just a small cat the weather could impact profits.

I thought the latest feasibility study was for a vehicular ferry ?

If just pedestrians it would be pretty pointless IMHO.

23 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

It is indeed and moves the project into a whole new dimension for both the vessels and the facilities at each end.

3 hours ago, TimTang said:

That is no different to the cats that Lomprayah run between Samui, Phangan, Tao and the mainland.  In fact it looks smaller than some of Lomprayah's boats.

As mentioned elsewhere I think the government is looking at a car ferry which to get those speeds would need an Incat or similar.

28 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

I think many would be surprised to find out just how rough the Gulf of Thailand can get.

Knowing how seasick many locals get I would be a real "vomit-Comet" unless they use a sufficiently large vessel. If just a small cat the weather could impact profits.

If just pedestrians it would be pretty pointless IMHO.

A ' vomit-Comet' is an airplane    :whistling:

Ah to dream that in 3-4 years you will be able to step out of your Waterfront condo, stroll past the mega-yachts moored in the Pattaya Marine and jump on a high speed ferry to Hua Hin for brunch.

this project has about as much chance of success as putting the cable mess underground. a private company has even tried to run this service without success. hard to compete with the 400thb mini vans running the service already. at least they have given us 4 years to forget about it this time. 

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

9 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

A ' vomit-Comet' is an airplane    :whistling:

Yes. Coined from the parabolic flights used to give prospective astronauts the feeling of weightlessness... But you can imaging the carnage would be similar on a bouncing boat filled with Thais...

2 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Why not use the billion dollar submarines ?

Its not like they will be doing much anyway.

Why not use the Aircraft carrier that has been moored in Sattahip since it was bought for billions many moons ago? they never had any aircraft! could use the aircraft parking area for the 60 + cars/lorries they intend to carry :)

I live in Jomtien and would love to go to Hua Hin once in a while by boat. But two things for sure :

1/ If the ferry in question looks anything like the one on the picture, I won't set a foot on that thing. I do take the Koh Larn ferries regularly, and they look exactly like that, but it's a very short trip and if the boat sinks (yes, it has happened several times before) you have every chance to be rescued as the area is full of other boats. If you're in the middle of the Gulf of Siam, it's a whole different story.

2/ If the ferry is OK but the ticket costs an arm, as it did in a similar project not very long ago, I'll wish them the best of luck but will spend my cash elsewhere.

This is an old idea with a new image , I started an inquiry into ferry services between these two points back in the mid ninety's and was told due to smuggling and drug trafficking  it would be unwise,  I found in Thailand any excuse is good enough not to do anything , so I didn't.....................:coffee1:

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

financially not profitable, unless the government builds the infrastructure, modernizes the pier, landing etc.  Then the Return on Investment doesn't have to deal with the sunk cost.  Otherwise the price won't be supported by enough people.  There just isn't that much traffic or demand.  But somebody will probably generate a study or report that shows it is feasible, the military government will approve it, the people's money will be spent on it, the contract(s) probably will go to people the military wants it to go to, friends, or family, business associates, etc.  There just isn't any accountability under the current government, and I use the term government loosely.

with the amount of tourist Thailand has, it would be profitable - that is if the government does not think with its head and tries to rip off tourists. I would say ticket costing not over 1000 baht would be reasonable depending on the class of the seats.