Fines and traffic stops cause Chinese to avoid CM

Nick ZepTepi

On 8/27/2016 at 5:50 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Thanks! That's great to hear. But can you provide a link from a valid governmental source for this?

Otherwise, it's yet again just 'hear-say.'

In the examples below is the use of home country licence use without IDP.

If you had only an IDP whilst travelling, you'd be illegal and liable to get shafted.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-visitor-to-great-britain

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/new-residents-and-visitors/driving-on-nz-roads/

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

http://www.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/transport-and-regional/driving-with-an-overseas-licence

And finally from the Thai Embassy in Wellington,

Dear (Redacted)

Thank you for contacting us.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai Driving Licence or a valid International Driving Permit or a foreign Driving Licence with a photograph. The Licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand.

Those in doubt should contact their own government for advice.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licences as described above or an International Drivers Permit are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

Motorcycle Licences

To exchange a motorbike licence the procedure is essentially the same. There is no limit to the size of engine that can be driven with the licence.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further inquiries & Have a safe trip to Thailand.

Kind regards,

Royal Thai Embassy |

www.thaiembassy.org/wellington

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licences as described above or an International Drivers Permit are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Thanks Paul, but this actually adds weight to my comments... You see, when I went to get my Thai Drivers License, I showed my U.S. drivers license, my Japanese drivers license, and my IDP,  which showed that I was licensed to drive a car and a motorcycle over 750cc (Japanese motorcycle licenses are based on bike engine size.)  And yet... I was still required to do the practical driving test when I applied for my Thai license.  So who really knows what the laws require? We know what they 'say,' but there seems to be a discrepancy between the theory and practice.

14 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Thanks Paul, but this actually adds weight to my comments... You see, when I went to get my Thai Drivers License, I showed my U.S. drivers license, my Japanese drivers license, and my IDP,  which showed that I was licensed to drive a car and a motorcycle over 750cc (Japanese motorcycle licenses are based on bike engine size.)  And yet... I was still required to do the practical driving test when I applied for my Thai license.  So who really knows what the laws require? We know what they 'say,' but there seems to be a discrepancy between the theory and practice.

Rather like "street/bar checkpoint" interpretations that one must carry original passport or then again maybe paper photocopy is OK or yet maybe wallet sized laminate is OK

NZ Government stipulates the following from https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/Thailand , reviewed 12 Aug 2016, further annotated as still current 30 Aug 2016.

General travel advice
It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times.  A  New Zealand driver’s licence or a photocopy of the biodata page from a passport would be adequate identification in the first instance.

Discrepancy between theory and practice by all of bureaucracy

50 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times. 

I carry a mirror. When asked for ID, I pull out my mirror, take a GOOD long look at it, look at the cop and say 'Yes, sir! THAT is ME!'    :)

On 26/08/2016 at 1:14 PM, JaseTheBass said:

I guess China hasn't got around to signing the UN Convention on Road Traffic which is why they are breaking the law using a Chinese driving licence (unless there is an agreement directly with China in place).

Tourists from the UK, US, Aus & NZ under Thai law don't need an IDP, but that doesn't stop the local mafia extorting money whenever possible.

Yes I believed my Aussie licence would suffice on a holiday trip in LOS, alas it did not 300 baht donation...Only time in 30 years of driving in Asia I was extorted..:w00t: