Why is there better Thai food in San Francisco than in Pattaya?

Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Seriously dude....you need to stop. You are just looking like a petulant child. Some might say acting like a prima donna. Certainly not a primo uomo.

Stop, for your own sake. It's just getting a bit pathetic.

Go to talk to Ek. He might add some of your suggestions to the menu if he thinks they will work.

Pattaya is not Bangkok. Get used to it. If you can't, try moving to Bangkok or San Francisco.

Beluga caviar tastes on a tuna fish budget...

I need to stop? You don't have to post here if you don't like it. You're sending me to a Steak house and bakery? Seriously? 

I agree Pattaya is not Bangkok.

I am suggesting for THAI food, it really could be better.

As we are in THAILAND in an urban area that must have THOUSANDS of places selling THAI food. 

Let's not act like it is when it isn't, which some people (clearly not you) are doing. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps JT should read a little about Thai food eaten at the 'highest level': http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/eat/chef-mcdang-myth-royal-thai-cuisine-655324/ 

Not so different from what is available in Pattaya.

There is good food in Pattaya. But Pattaya is not London....or whatever city one imagines have the most cosmopolitan range of food.

But they still have a go. 

So this thread is just about JT and his dissatisfaction with his life.

Some of us have other things in our lives. I prefer Oishi Grand in Bangkok as compared to the Oishi in Pattaya.

Guess what I do? I go to Oishi Grand when I want to eat at Oishi Grand.

I don't begin an inane thread as to why the is no Oishi Grand in Pattaya.

Again, I'm open to specific and SINCERE suggestions of places that might come CLOSE to being really memorable Thai food here.

Not referring to Royal Cuisine ... did you bother to see my examples of places I love in Bangkok? Both not promoted as royal.

The Michelin star place in SF ... also not marketing as Royal. 

Another one not bothering to get the concept and just mouthing off off topic condescending personal insults. 

That said, with the suggestions.

If they are JOKES like Tin Cup, why bother?

If they are obviously nothing near the level I'm talking about like Surf Kitchen, yes, sorry, I will say that.

So if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. 

I will add another detail that is sure to annoy people, but it's the truth. The best green curry dish I've ever had was in SAN JOSE, California. A place packed with local Thai people. I've had green curry scads of times in Pattaya. Not even close. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I need to stop? You don't have to post here if you don't like it. You're sending me to a Steak house and bakery? Seriously? 

I agree Pattaya is not Bangkok.

I am suggesting for THAI food, it really could be better.

As we are in THAILAND in an urban area that must have THOUSANDS of places selling THAI food. 

Let's not act like it is when it isn't, which some people (clearly not you) are doing. 

You need to stop for your own sake. Your mental health. 

Stop banging on about THAI food. There are many types of regional cuisine. There is good Thai food in Pattaya.

If you want something different than you can find in Pattaya, go to that place where you can eat it. 

Why are you still banging on? Unhappy with your life?

2 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

You need to stop for your own sake. Your mental health. 

Stop banging on about THAI food. There are many types of regional cuisine. There is good Thai food in Pattaya.

If you want something different than you can find in Pattaya, go to that place where you can eat it. 

Why are you still banging on? Unhappy with your life?

Actually, dude, at this point I'm hoping people will come up with sincere and specific suggestions here with the aim of proving me wrong. I would love to be proven wrong!

As far as your mental health advice. Please don't bother. Not interesting. Look after your own mental health. Mine is NOT your business. 

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

99% of thai food made overseas is lacking in authentic taste mainly due to the taste of the ingredients….chicken in thailand tastes much better than in australia or the US/UK…the chicken there is rubbery and artificially pumped up…all mass and bland taste…even the vegetables like baby corn taste different.

The only thai restaurant i have enjoyed overseas is Long Grain in Sydney, which is helmed by a south african chef.

They are in Melbourne too. Great food but I hate the communal tables.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Again, I'm open to specific and SINCERE suggestions of places that might come CLOSE to being really memorable Thai food here.

Not referring to Royal Cuisine ... did you bother to see my examples of places I love in Bangkok?

Nobody cares about your suggestions. They have their own idea of what they like. If you like the pictures in Bangkok, go to Bangkok.

A friend of mine makes Gaeng Keow Wan Gai with sweet potato. I haven't seen that in Pattaya....but so f***ing what?

I can make it myself or go to eat at my friend's place. :) 

You are just appear to be an obnoxious character. 

Others will visit Ek's place instead of just 'mouthing off' as you do and may even enjoy the food there.

Others might sit on the fat <deleted> and complain about their lot in life. Horses for courses.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually, dude, at this point I'm hoping people will come up with sincere and specific suggestions here with the aim of proving me wrong. I would love to be proven wrong!

As far as your mental health advice. Please don't bother. Not interesting. Look after your own mental health. Mine is NOT your business. 

JT

Guys like yourself are never wrong and us lesser mortals are in awe of your knowledge in the majority of the topics you start on here :whistling:

bon appetite :thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure thing dude.

The point was we're in Thailand, here in Pattaya, or so the map says, and yet this really is NOT a great area for world class THAI food. 

That's weird to me.

years ago i invited you to my home but you declined. i am inclined to invite you again after discussing with our cook how to enhance her Thai cooking to match SFO Michelin looks, taste and especially quantity. from my memory i can say that half the time i ate in "award restaurants" i left hungry (a dozen plates with nouvelle cuisine) :sick:. and many rainy seasons ago at (that time the most famous restaurant in Munich) the host got raving mad with me and one of the guests (a Middle Easterner) who asked me jokingly when leaving the restaurant "Ya Sheikh Naam, where can we have a hamburger now?" and i broke out in roaring laughter.   

10 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Nobody cares about your suggestions. They have their own idea of what they like. If you like the pictures in Bangkok, go to Bangkok.

A friend of mine makes Gaeng Keow Wan Gai with sweet potato. I haven't seen that in Pattaya....but so f***ing what?

I can make it myself or go to eat at my friend's place. :) 

You are just appear to be an obnoxious character. 

Others will visit Ek's place instead of just 'mouthing off' as you do and may even enjoy the food there.

Others might sit on the fat <deleted> and complain about their lot in life. Horses for courses.

I'll ignore your moronic personal attack baiting.

I am asking for suggestions here. 

Doesn't need to be Michelin star level as of course that isn't available here anyway.

Even at the level of that authentic flavor Thai place that used to be in Big C would be great.
Bring them on!

BTW, about Michelin Stars. They are not worthless aside from the customers they bring in. You know that Michelin Star DIM SUM place in Bangkok? Well, I tried it. Some of the best dim sum I've ever had and I've eaten a lot of world class dim sum in my life.

Edited by Jingthing

I'll<snip>

You are the one attacking people suggestions and being unpleasant. For me it's like water off a duck's back.

I've given you suggestions, but instead you prefer to freak out like a hysterical woman.

I told you to go to speak to Ek, but instead you act like an arrogant fool, stating that you don't need to visit a bakery.

What a twit you are. Perhaps if you actually spoke to him, instead of acting the fool, you would find that he worked in the kitchens of five star hotels and is very humble.

So how about you stop making a fool of yourself...eh?

7 minutes ago, petermik said:

JT

Guys like yourself are never wrong and us lesser mortals are in awe of your knowledge in the majority of the topics you start on here :whistling:

bon appetite :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah and you enjoy Surf Kitchen innit? 

Your not Vicky Pollard from Little Britain by any chance :cheesy:

1 minute ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

You are the one attacking people suggestions and being unpleasant. For me it's like water off a duck's back.

I've given you suggestions, but instead you prefer to freak out like a hysterical woman.

I told you to go to speak to Ek, but instead you act like an arrogant fool, stating that you don't need to visit a bakery.

What a twit you are. Perhaps if you actually spoke to him, instead of acting the fool, you would find that he worked in the kitchens of five star hotels and is very humble.

So how about you stop making a fool of yourself...eh?

Simply not an option...........:coffee1:

I don't think a place where the food isn't actually on the menu is a credible suggestion. 

Difficulty reading and comprehending?

Old menu. (I'm not currently in Thailand, so don't have an updated menu) Old restaurant had four tables. 

Other dishes on blackboard. Ribs in special gravy. Tamarind prawns.

Ironic since you spend so much energy trying to convince us that we don't get it.

You asked for suggestions. Not menus. Pathetic.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Michelin stars are awarded not just for the quality of the food. After the food it is all about style - indeed it's about pre-conceived Western standards. Something of a paradox when discussing Thai food.

Michelin has expanded into Asia. Even gave a star to a Chinese hawker stall in Singapore. They are making adjustments based on the rise of Asia. So perhaps your preconceived notions about what they are are simply DATED. 

Anyway, not suggesting Michelin stars are everything, certainly not, but they aren't nothing either. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Difficulty reading and comprehending?

Old menu. (I'm not currently in Thailand, so don't have an updated menu) Old restaurant had four tables. 

Other dishes on blackboard. Ribs in special gravy. Tamarind prawns.

Ironic since you spend so much energy trying to convince us that we don't get it.

You asked for suggestions. Not menus. Pathetic.

OK. Where is it exactly?

Edited by Jingthing

15 hours ago, lou62 said:

After visiting a couple of Thai restaurants in London my Thai missus said she didn't want to go to another.

Bland food, done for locals and yes, very decorative and expensive. 

Sounds like a 5 star hotel menu here in Thailand lol

I honestly don't know of any restaurants in Pattaya that I would consider either really good, or even really Thai. I'm sure there are some! But I haven't found any in the several dozen visits I've made to the city (I'm talking only of Pattaya, and not Jomtien; I know almost nothing about the latter). So many restaurants there seem to be flamboyant and overpriced tourist attractions. Those that I've found that offer more "ordinary" foods do exactly that: offer more ordinary foods. Did Pattaya and the restaurateurs manage to chase away or otherwise end the fledgling food court trying to make a go on Beach Road somewhere around sois 7-8 or so? As I recall, the eateries there were only 2-3 times more expensive than similar eateries elsewhere around Thailand. Even so, a bargain compared to everything else around there.

Otherwise, it's worth noting that the Kin Khao restaurant OP initially referred to is in or near a fairly affluent and touristy area of SF. I doubt I could afford to eat there. It's also worth reading the 1-2 star reviews of the place (inedible squid, anyone?). Actually, I suspect it's about as Thai as the Mix restaurants located in Bangkok and Chiang Mai might be. There's a Mix Bistro located in Pattaya. Is that the same expensive, pretty food, 10% service charge and 7% VAT add on kind of place as the other Mix restaurants are? Do the Mix restaurants actually serve authentic Thai food? What is "authentic Thai food?" People's opinions on that matter already vary in the previous posts...

IMO, the best and most authentic Thai food in SF is served in the "King of Thai Noodle House" and and "King's Thai Cuisine" restaurants. The Thai food is much better in these places, but the ambiance is also dead on -- located in working class and typically Asian neighborhoods, maybe across the street from the Asian variety and hardware shops, and the Asian shops specializing in all your cheap plastic needs, Asian laborers pushing around hand trucks loaded with big bags of rice and etc, beat up metal covered tables (in one, at least, though some of them are pretty nice), lots of steam rising from the cooking areas, and etc. Here's one, for example: https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=king of thai noodle&tbs=lf_msr:-1,lf_od:-1,lf_oh:-1,lf:1,lf_ui:9&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=37764570,-122445260,4109&tbm=lcl&rldimm=18269176772754369863

One reviewer's comment: ' “Hungry students with a light wallet” and other penny-pinchers “shocked” at the “unbeatable” prices flock to these “casual” eateries where “large” portions of “very tasty Thai noodles” and “spicy” curries come “amazingly fast”; there's “no ambiance whatsoever”, so some favor “takeout”, but they're undoubtedly “convenient” when you have a “late-night” “craving” (most are open nightly until at least 1 AM).'