How to stay trim in Thailand ?

TacoGuy

I'm in the states and my wife works at a Thai restaurant as a manager. Anyway, if I stop by to see her, she feeds me. She brings food home. You can imagine...

Anyway, I've just been trimming the calories, less carbs. But the big thing has been intermittent fasting. I do this during the week. I only eat in a 6 hour window, say 2pm to 9pm. I don't take food to work. I just drink coffee and tea. I work from 5 to 2 or so. It's working. And walking at lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you avoid piling on the lbs in this country when there is food everywhere, and it's all relatively good value? 

From the OP last year, my reply is that Thai food might be relatively good value (as in value-for-money), but for the most part it is cr*p, unhealthy food, full of MSG, fried in the cheapest oils, full of white rice etc etc.

The only Thai food I eat now is grilled fish and steamed vegetables.  The rest is junk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2016 at 2:45 PM, TacoGuy said:

Yeah, I think sugar is a problem as they put it in and on everything here.  I certainly avoid it in coffees and try and keep smoothies to a minimum.  Dairy and booze not an issue these days.  Was thinking to try and not eat UNTIL early evening as a method!  Just some kind of method to reduce intake.  

Intermittent fasting works well.  Keep you 'window of eating' to 4-5 hours, fasting the rest of the day.  I tend to do that naturally, especially, when it is so hot here!

Once one gets their head in gear you can do anything regarding your physical appearance.....Keeping in trim costs NOTHING.

Some are lucky and their genes take care of stuff, but for many it is about "control", self control.....You can do it if you want too....:stoner:

1 hour ago, transam said:

Once one gets their head in gear you can do anything regarding your physical appearance.....Keeping in trim costs NOTHING.

Some are lucky and their genes take care of stuff, but for many it is about "control", self control.....You can do it if you want too....:stoner:

People kind of laugh off being fat or fat people.  Ok, they just like to eat a lot. Or, he has big bones and is husky just a bear of a man.   Some people are actually proud of their fatness.  But, being fat from sugar, fat, grease food is an addiction.  Most people who lose weight gain it back because they are not dealing with their issues.Counseling or a 12 step program should be considered for true fatness redemption.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

People kind of laugh off being fat or fat people.  Ok, they just like to eat a lot. Or, he has big bones and is husky just a bear of a man.   Some people are actually proud of their fatness.  But, being fat from sugar, fat, grease food is an addiction.  Most people who lose weight gain it back because they are not dealing with their issues.Counseling or a 12 step program should be considered for true fatness redemption.

I tried "counseling" a friends wife, spends ooooooooodles on pills that do feeeerk all, she even was sold protein powder for an instant six pack...:sad:

In the end she said I cannot, l do not want to stop eating.....I told her to then forget about what you look like.....Just do your thing because your thing has nothing to do with what you look like...

I try and avoid most thai food as its either fried, or has lots of added sugar. I do tell them "Mai aow nahm Taan",  Don't want sugar, but it doesn't always work.

I get salads from the salad bar at the supermarkets, barley, sweet corn and red kidney beans for some carbs. Cut down on my meat consumption, and mainly have steamed fish in the evenings, or salads.

Cut out red meat completely for a while. Now lost 3kgs in six weeks since changing my diet.

The hypocrisy of the US and the world really on things like opioids addiction.  Big push by Trump on this yet fatness and heart disease, smoking, alcoholism cause so much more expense and issues in the world then opioids.  Billions more. So why not ban fast food, smoking and booze all addicting?  Haha no, too much money for the politicians.  A guy like Trump and others are fat pig obese fast food addiction guys who do not care and do not try to lose weight, so why would they attack themselves when they can attack others?   So hypocritical.

I'm an exercise fanatic and trim.  Not bragging just providing background info.  What "I" know to be true.  Doesn't matter when you eat and exercise doesn't matter much compared to diet.

For the average person, running a mile burns 100 incremental calories.  Run 5 miles and you can eat only a few more cookies which you probably will because you feel like it is deserved.

It's a calorie game and eating low carb is a good way to win.  Also experiment with eating patterns.  Eating my first meal at 2pm each day after exercising sets me up for a low calorie day.  Might not work for you but give it a try. The first week sucks!  Then is is easy.

10 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I'm an exercise fanatic and trim.  Not bragging just providing background info.  What "I" know to be true.  Doesn't matter when you eat and exercise doesn't matter much compared to diet.

For the average person, running a mile burns 100 incremental calories.  Run 5 miles and you can eat only a few more cookies which you probably will because you feel like it is deserved.

It's a calorie game and eating low carb is a good way to win.  Also experiment with eating patterns.  Eating my first meal at 2pm each day after exercising sets me up for a low calorie day.  Might not work for you but give it a try. The first week sucks!  Then is is easy.

Good info.  Yes the "odd diet" people are usually thin.  Seriously the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to not eat a big dinner.  Some nights (maybe 2or 3) no dinner.  Someone once said "do you gas up your car at night as it sits in your garage"? Try eating a good breakfast, a good lunch about 2 pm, then nothing or something lite in the evening.  I guarantee you will feel better and lose weight. 

Just a suggestion.  I am in decent shape and do this.  Eat a good breakfast, then about 2 to 3 pm, go to a place like Sizzler.  I eat there 3 to 4 times a week.  Load up on the salad bar with not too much of the oil and vinegar dressing.  Then, order a lean piece of meat and a baked potato with no butter. Put ketchup on the potato no problem. Have the fruit for dessert.  I promise if you do this for 30 days you will lose weight. You will be full and satisfied.  Give it a try.

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Good info.  Yes the "odd diet" people are usually thin.  Seriously the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to not eat a big dinner.  Some nights (maybe 2or 3) no dinner.  Someone once said "do you gas up your car at night as it sits in your garage"? Try eating a good breakfast, a good lunch about 2 pm, then nothing or something lite in the evening.  I guarantee you will feel better and lose weight. 

Just a suggestion.  I am in decent shape and do this.  Eat a good breakfast, then about 2 to 3 pm, go to a place like Sizzler.  I eat there 3 to 4 times a week.  Load up on the salad bar with not too much of the oil and vinegar dressing.  Then, order a lean piece of meat and a baked potato with no butter. Put ketchup on the potato no problem. Have the fruit for dessert.  I promise if you do this for 30 days you will lose weight. You will be full and satisfied.  Give it a try.

Works for you and that is all that matters for "you". Congrats! As for me, eat huge dinners but don't eat breakfast.  It doesn't matter when you eat.  Only how many calories you take in compared to use. I guarantee you will lose weight if you're at a calorie deficit.

Interesting topic and lots of opinions.  Personally, think it is simple.  Eat fewer calories than you burn.  Experiment on how to get to this point but eventually chose a plan of action and drop the weight.  Don't think there is an easy solution but from experience reducing calories is easy after the first week.  No more hunger pains.  Actually 3-5 days usually does the trick.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-26 at 8:01 PM, atpeace said:

Works for you and that is all that matters for "you". Congrats! As for me, eat huge dinners but don't eat breakfast.  It doesn't matter when you eat.  Only how many calories you take in compared to use. I guarantee you will lose weight if you're at a calorie deficit.

Interesting topic and lots of opinions.  Personally, think it is simple.  Eat fewer calories than you burn.  Experiment on how to get to this point but eventually chose a plan of action and drop the weight.  Don't think there is an easy solution but from experience reducing calories is easy after the first week.  No more hunger pains.  Actually 3-5 days usually does the trick.

Cheers

Plenty of studies that show a good breakfast is the way to go. But as you say if it works for you why change it. I exercise and am trim, but like you said exercise does not burn that much. If you burn 500 calories its a lot and you don't exercise every day. However I have found that exercise combined with a good diet yields better results. Of course the more you get in the mindset of exercise and diet the better it is. I let go for a while as I had some insomnia problems (was still trim but a bit heavier) now doing full exercise again and diet follows again. But its always hard for me as I really gain weight easy.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:01 PM, atpeace said:

Cheers

Yeah you both are proposing a form of intermittent fasting, just your timings are different.

Archived