Dog attack on three year old - who should be responsible for dogs outside shops?

webfact

I do not believe there are such things as  'aurhorities" in Thailand who are responsible for rounding up stray dogs.

Thailand is not a namby-pamby society like in Eutope or the U.S.

Paents are responsible for their own children, and dog owners are responsible for their dogs and  even shop owners must be responsible for stray dogs that sleep outside their shops.

I understand rhe distress the 3 year old girl's parents must feel, but 3 year old children in Thailand should not be wandering around without their parents right there beside them to watch them. Not even for a minute or two.

i don't mean to be rude or unsyphathetic,, but the parents are ultimately responible for protrcting  their own children.

Sorry to say that, but is a fact of  life in Thailand, and needs to be understood by parents of all young children.

My Thai girlfriend, (now 68 years old), was a single mother whose husband left her to raise 3 children and one grandchild on her own with basically no help from the Thai govenment.

For your info....at one time my Thai girlfriend had 7 stray dogs she adopted and fed kept tied up at her house . All were neutered at her expense by the vet.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The core problem is the lack of proper garbage cans in Thailand.
The residents predominantly lay their garbage in plastic bags on the roadside.
The stray dogs tear the bags then, and live off the remains.
Whole cities characterized littered, and the street dogs breed like flies, because of the oversupply of food out of the garbage.

In our village, the mayor ordered that all trash cans are to be deposited on 1 meter high metal or wood racks. Result: No more stray dogs in our neighborhood.

If Thailand solve its garbage problem correctly, then the many stray dogs will disappear.
It is the responsibility of the authorities.

I don't agree with the ones who feed those dogs. Those people are better humans than most. They care about the animals and probably do the same for poor people. The dogs aren't going to die if they don't get food; they'll find it somewhere else or attack even more people for it. The dogs have to be rounded up and dealt with. The problem exists because the Thai government local or national has failed. It's hard to figure out who is responsible in this nation because the national government overhangs every local administration. The problem is they have no unified policy or a terribly weak one. All these kids and others getting attacked on the streets is the government's problem. In nations where there aren't problems it is primarily because of government.

Just now, Keesters said:

Sorry but the dogs do not have a right to be there. In any civilized country they would not be there suffering from abuse, hunger and disease. They would have been removed to a caring facility. The streets were built by the tax payers most of whom I am sure would prefer them not to be there. Give me one sensible reason why the dogs should be there except for pandering to the likes of you.

Did you not read where it said the parents were distracted for a moment. All parents can be distracted from looking after their child for a moment. And a moment is all it takes for a dog to attack an innocent child.

Yes those civilized countries have exterminated a number of species from the face of this earth.

Streets were not built by tax payers, because hardly anyone pays tax.

Why should they not be there? because someone incapable looking after a child? Do you think dog approached the child? or Child stepped or touched sleeping dog?

Moment has a broad definition. moment is all it takes for a car to hit a child

37 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

give a 3-month period for mandatory registration of owned dogs (maybe cats too?) and put collars around their necks (ask a hefty fee, too). after that, round up all the dogs without collars and deal with them. maybe export them to china, vietnam, or myanmar for energy conversion.

Most dogs on the streets already have collars. That is done by some half-caring idiot who rather than take full responsibility for the dog collars it to ensure the dog catchers won't take it away.

Solution is to remove all dogs on public property. House them and for a period of time make the collared ones able to be retrieved by the owner for a fee and compulsory desexing. I doubt that many will be retrieved.

https://www.facebook.com/DogAttacksThailand

2 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I do not believe there are such things as  'aurhorities" in Thailand who are responsible for rounding up stray dogs.

Thailand is not a namby-pamby society like in Eutope or the U.S.

Paents are responsible for their own children, and dog owners are responsible for their dogs and  even shop owners must be responsible for stray dogs that sleep outside their shops.

I understand rhe distress the 3 year old girl's parents must feel, but 3 year old children in Thailand should not be wandering around without their parents right there beside them to watch them. Not even for a minute or two.

i don't mean to be rude or unsyphathetic,, but the parents are ultimately responible for protrcting  their own children.

Sorry to say that, but is a fact of  life in Thailand, and needs to be understood by parents of all young children.

My Thai girlfriend, (now 68 years old), was a single mother whose husband left her to raise 3 children and one grandchild on her own with basically no help from the Thai govenment.

For your info....at one time my Thai girlfriend had 7 stray dogs she adopted and fed kept tied up at her house . All were neutered at her expense by the vet.

Comedy!

20 minutes ago, Jimdbim said:

those are called people with compassion and a heart. Dogs do have the right to be there no more or no less than you..

It is humans who supposedly are the superior race and yet incapable of looking after the child.

Main road, cars, bikes, and millions of other dangers  and yet 2 grown ups struggle to take responsibility for 1 kid.

In that case also elephants, tigers, buffalo's, monkeys,snakes have the right to live on the streets......close to your house i hope.

Reporting to BMA helps, they are ready to capture. But two problems, they come at the wrong time when the dogs there away, or some one claim the street dogs as their own. These claimed owners have no idea where these dogs are and whom they are biting, but they feed them and keep on the streets, especially they are on terror during nights.

Probably the best place would be Vietnam or China to deport these street dogs.

20 minutes ago, Jimdbim said:

Yes those civilized countries have exterminated a number of species from the face of this earth.

Streets were not built by tax payers, because hardly anyone pays tax.

Why should they not be there? because someone incapable looking after a child? Do you think dog approached the child? or Child stepped or touched sleeping dog?

Moment has a broad definition. moment is all it takes for a car to hit a child

I doubt any dog species has been exterminated by man. And removal of dogs from the street would not affect their existence either. Plenty of well cared for dogs to carry on the species. Everyone pays tax. Never heard of VAT.

I asked you why they should be there. You do not and I think cannot answer.

And if a car had hit a car the owner/driver would be responsible because it would normally be registered, taxed etc. Why not the dogs?

3 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I doubt any dog species has been exterminated by man. And removal of dogs from the street would not affect their existence either. Plenty of well cared for dogs to carry on the species. Everyone pays tax. Never heard of VAT.

I asked you why they should be there. You do not and I think cannot answer.

And if a car had hit a car the owner/driver would be responsible because it would normally be registered, taxed etc. Why not the dogs?

And what if a motocycle drives into a straydog? Who's going to pay the hospitalbill if he isn't dead on the spot?

What a sad story.

About 5 dogs can be found lying around the entrance to one of the 7/Eleven stores in Bang Saray, even I as an adult have to pick my way carefully through them for fear of stepping on the tail of one of them, who I know will most lightly snap at me in shock after jolting him out of his sleep. 

20 minutes ago, Alive said:

I don't agree with the ones who feed those dogs. Those people are better humans than most. They care about the animals and probably do the same for poor people. The dogs aren't going to die if they don't get food; they'll find it somewhere else or attack even more people for it. The dogs have to be rounded up and dealt with. The problem exists because the Thai government local or national has failed. It's hard to figure out who is responsible in this nation because the national government overhangs every local administration. The problem is they have no unified policy or a terribly weak one. All these kids and others getting attacked on the streets is the government's problem. In nations where there aren't problems it is primarily because of government.

But feeding the dogs makes the situation worse. Dogs will give birth according to the availability of food. More food=more dogs.

At Ban Amphur beach there has for many years been dogs at the far end away from the beach chairs. Those dogs have now been enticed up to the car park area where a Farang feeds them. Being in that car park at feeding time is very dangerous as the dogs will attack any person who gets too close. After the dogs are full they all trot over to the populated beach and take a ****.

Feeding makes it worse. Do not feed them no matter how much it makes your heart bleed. You are doing no favors to the human population and are partly responsible for this young girls injuries.

10 minutes ago, Thian said:

And what if a motocycle drives into a straydog? Who's going to pay the hospitalbill if he isn't dead on the spot?

It is quite likely that the motorcycle driver, if not dead, will be asked for compensation for the injured dog as people crawl out of the woodwork to own the dog.

It is a no win situation for the motorcycle.

I have always been screaming the odds on this one especially in front of many 7/11 stores in Ubon Ratchathani, i would cycle and this crazy dog would cross the road from sleeping at the 7/11 and go for me on the bicycle - people would just say mad dog and that would be that. I would have to go to school down different roads added another 10 minutes to the cycling time.

People would bypass the dog to get in and sometimes it would go into the shops and meander around and none of the stop would do anything about it.

This is a 7/11 issue. 

26 minutes ago, Thian said:

In that case also elephants, tigers, buffalo's, monkeys,snakes have the right to live on the streets......close to your house i hope.

All of the above most likely make better neighbors than most expats and locals and yes I would enjoy having all of the above next to my house and the way humans with your way of thinking going, not long before all of the above will be forced to live on the streets like dogs, as their habitat is destroyed by the same humans 

20 minutes ago, Keesters said:

It is quite likely that the motorcycle driver, if not dead, will be asked for compensation for the injured dog as people crawl out of the woodwork to own the dog.

It is a no win situation for the motorcycle.

I see , so it's also dogs fault for a retarded driver who is incapable of driving ?

whats next? Dogs fault for running the red light? Driving drunk? 

May be a tree is to blame for being there when another retard smashes into it?

2 minutes ago, Jimdbim said:

All of the above most likely make better neighbors than most expats and locals and yes I would enjoy having all of the above next to my house and the way humans with your way of thinking going, not long before all of the above will be forced to live on the streets like dogs, as their habitat is destroyed by the same humans 

And just how would you expect to walk to 7-11 past that tiger?

People have the right to walk the streets they paid for without being attacked and most of these dogs will attack if not treated with extreme care.

5 minutes ago, Jimdbim said:

I see , so it's also dogs fault for a retarded driver who is incapable of driving ?

whats next? Dogs fault for running the red light? Driving drunk? 

May be a tree is to blame for being there when another retard smashes into it?

Stupid answer. Who said the rider was retarded? Hard to avoid a dog sometimes when it rushes out to get in your way. You must have never driven on Thai roads.

I can't understand why nothing is ever done about these stray feral dogs. 

I am an animal lover... and its clear to see that most of these dogs are suffering from disease or starvation / malnutrition.

They are often wounded or injured on some way also. 

How can dog lovers thing this is OK for dogs to live like that and object to solving the problem?

Apart from the dogs suffering from severe neglect and often physical abuse, road accidents, poisoning, fighting each other etc, they pose a real danger to HUMANS around them.

I could not even begin to guess the number of road accidents they have caused, the number of people (including children) they have bitten or threatened, and the diseases they spread.

They are a threat to peoples pet dogs, often attacking them or giving them diseases like mange. They kill pet cats, and livestock like chickens and ducks too. They mess up the place when they rip open bin bags and spread rubbish all over the street (which also encourages other vermin like rats), they poop all over the pavements, they bark and howl throughout the night keeping people awayke.

Living here many years I have been bitten 3 time... once quite badly on the leg.  These attacks were unprovoked. 

Time to sort the problem out people!

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Stupid answer. Who said the rider was retarded? Hard to avoid a dog sometimes when it rushes out to get in your way. You must have never driven on Thai roads.

When soidogs are fighting they don't care for anything, i've seen them running/fighting on the most busy roads of BKK and there really is no way to avoid them. 

Some of them also hate white people (like me), even when they see me sitting in the car (with open window) they can go beserk and bite the tires or chase the car.

Yes they have dog catchers, they round them up and drop them off elsewhere :( Dog attacks are a daily event of course with over 3 million strays and this one is only in the news due to it being a kid and rather nasty. Never mind who is responsible- they all are from the very top down, question is when are they going to start doing something about it ?

15 minutes ago, Keesters said:

And just how would you expect to walk to 7-11 past that tiger?

People have the right to walk the streets they paid for without being attacked and most of these dogs will attack if not treated with extreme care.

How do you expect for tiger to survive if you had taken away it habitat ?

i am glad you keep posting links, so let's play a game.

how many dogs are there In Thailand ? And how many attacks?

how many people are there in Thailand ? And how many attacks human on human ? Including murder, shootings, stabbings, rapes, assaults .

Once you post the links with numbers, perhaps you would like to share your opinion on who you think should be eradicated ? 

10 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Really ? In my 20 years of riding I do not seem to have a problem avoiding dogs or trees or other moving vehicles.

might be a problem for you, but for most seems to be ok

Just now, Jimdbim said:

How do you expect for tiger to survive if you had taken away it habitat ?

i am glad to keep posting links, so let's play a game.

how many dogs are there In Thailand ? And how many attacks?

how many people are there in Thailand ? And how many attacks human on human ? Including murder, shootings, stabbings, rapes, assaults .

Once you post the links with numbers, perhaps you would like to share your opinion on who you think should be eradicated ? 

And please answer the question "How do you expect to walk to 7-11 past that tiger?"

I see nobody taking away tiger habitat so much that they will have to live on our street and sit in front of 7-11. Prove it if you can.

It matters little how many dog attacks there are. One is one too many just like drunk drivers who should also be removed from the streets.

1 minute ago, Jimdbim said:

Really ? In my 20 years of riding I do not seem to have a problem avoiding dogs or trees or other moving vehicles.

you dont face this stuff do you?

nah didnt think so, 

if you do i think  your attitude might change a little

vlcsnap-2016-08-26-09h44m13s41.jpg

1 hour ago, giog said:

What the government said about this? Children are bitten by dogs, cyclists and motorcyclists falling down and damage to cars caused accidents with dogs. It would not be appropriate to REGULATE THE MOVEMENT OF THESE ANIMALS responsability and empower the owners? In Europe the dog pay tax and have the chain in the neck with the onewr's name.

A few years ago, I baught a set of bicycles for me and my child (5 years).

Every day, at evening, we went to make some rounds of the block.
At the end of the block, a German Shepherd which was belonging to a military as sitting behind the fence andevery time we passed that house the Shepherd jumped against the fence and wanted to attack us.

One day, the Shepherd managed to jump of the fence and he bit my daughter in her ankle.
Nothing life threatening, but as a precaution I went to the hospital and let her have an anti-Tetanus shot.
Back home, I went straight to the Police and filed a complaint about this.
The Police officer went with me to the house of the Military and asked me to point the dog.
I did.
The Police officer shot the dog and put a paper of the fence with the nore to present himself ASAP to the Police.
He never had any dog again.

The Police is responsible if there has been an attack and he Police is the one who need to clean up this mess.

No money. No dog removal, honey.

Its one of those things that could be sorted in two or three days, if they bothered to mobilise every citzen and had a humane destruction plan. 

Altogether now...

A.G.H. (ain't gonna happen).

3 minutes ago, Jimdbim said:

Then you must be extremely lucky and the only person to do so.  Do you have super powers? Another poster has already given his experience with fighting dogs on the streets.

Archived