Healthcare for Thais

Alex2015

I had a discussion re Healthcare with my Thai lady, I could not fully understand what Thais have to pay for regards Healthcare.

we currently live in Pattaya. She said if she became ill she would have to pay here at the local government hospital but if she travelled to Isaan where she is from it would be free ? I asked about children but didn't understand her explanation.

Is Healthcare free for Thai children wether they have had an accident or developed an illness 

Similary is it free for adults ?

All of my thai friends have a healthcare from the company they work. They have to choose a prefered hospital (one in the list of the company health care). If they then use another hospital, this will not be covered except it was an emergency case. The hospitals which they can choose from depends on the company they work. Till now this are not hospitals like Samitview or Bumrungrad but still are good ones. of course much much better than the standart 30-baht scheme with which all thais are covered.

If the person is not working or working somewhere where they not have a private health insurance, I am thinking there is only the 30 baht scheme.

Adults get free health care at the government hospital nearest the home they have registered in.

Children under 15 (?) get free health care in any government hospital.

Employed adults get health care in their registered work hospital (and sometimes their spouse/children).

Outside that, they have to pay.

All Thais have free health care (or almost free i.e. 30 baht--- some hospitals don't bothet to collect this and some do). However care is limited to the government hospital responsible for the location where they are registered in a tabian ban (house registration) OR any other government hospital that this  hospital refers them to. In an emergency, however, they can receive care at any government hospital though it is often necessary to put in a call to the Health Security Office hotline to ensure the hospital does not charge them.

Thais employed in the civil service or formal private sector come under different schemes wherein they can choose from a list of hospitals which one to register at, and it is not tied to their tabien ban.

From what you describe your GF is under the first scheme and her tabian ban is in Issan. It is therefore correct that she would have to either travel back to Issan or pay out of pocket for care UNLESS it is an emergency.

She can, however, become eligiblefor free care in Pattaya if she changes her tabian ban registration and if she anticipates being in Patttaya long term this is worth doing.