"Volunteering" helping teach English

This has been asked so many times, although searching TV for the above phrase didn't return any results for me.

I know that officially you need a WP even just to help out teaching local kids English. I wonder how strictly it’s interpreted on that basis of “helping out”.

I went to an informal meeting organised by the Department of Social Development about social problems between Thais with foreign spouses. Interesting as it was, the subject came around to us foreigners helping the community, mainly by helping teach some English to kids and adults.

This was being suggested as an “informal” idea, maybe to be done in the sala, not at a school. I did mention about the need for a WP, which seemed to surprise the organisers.

I had to extend my Non O the next day, so my wife and I made a point of asking the IO about it. As my Thai is pretty reasonable, this was an entire conversation in Thai about complying with the law and not wanting to be seen to break it.

When he realised it was informal, his suggestion was to just get on with it, especially as it was being put forward by the Dept. of Social Development. He was genuinely pleased and did thank me regarding my being interested. I countered that I appreciated his advice, but I was concerned that if some other official came around, they might not take the same attitude.

I know the guy in the labour office who issues WPs (he issued mine in the past). He’s pretty decent, but again, if someone complained to him he would need to investigate officially.

The IO who came to do the home visit the following day gave the same advice as the IO in the immigration office.

you seem to be very well connected  obviously you have done your home work so i suggest that you have to make the final decision  if the mire does hit the fan just watch all your hi up advisers  suddenly disappear  

Sadly, I think your instincts on this are correct. It is unlikely that anyone would come after you, but they could. If you were ever in conflict with someone, they could insist that the law be applied against you, and the maximum penalties are severe. Best would be to get a volunteer visa. I think this obviates the need for a work permit for unpaid work.

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Sadly, I think your instincts on this are correct. It is unlikely that anyone would come after you, but they could. If you were ever in conflict with someone, they could insist that the law be applied against you, and the maximum penalties are severe. Best would be to get a volunteer visa. I think this obviates the need for a work permit for unpaid work.

(1) No such thing as a "volunteer visa".

(2) You need a work permit, even for voluntary work.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Oxx said:

(1) No such thing as a "volunteer visa".

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/34924-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Voluntary-Servi.html

30 minutes ago, Oxx said:

(2) You need a work permit, even for voluntary work.

In general, I accept that this is true. However, I believe those with a Non Imm O visa to engage in voluntary work are excepted from that requirement under some circumstances.

To be specific, what you're referring to as a "volunteer visa" (i.e. Non-Immigrant O for volunteer work) is only available for volunteer work with an NGO or charity organisation registered in Thailand, so is not applicable to the OP simply wanted to teach a bit of English to local kids.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/34924-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Voluntary-Servi.html

In general, I accept that this is true. However, I believe those with a Non Imm O visa to engage in voluntary work are excepted from that requirement under some circumstances.

I’d like to know more details about the exceptions you mention when doing voluntary work.

I think I would be scared to do so, its more important to be with my wife and child, than it would be to teach. Though I would have loved to help children who can't afford to have an English speaking partner to practice with, mainly because it is too expensive, especially when we would just love to help the less fortunate. 

Edited by ocddave

19 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Very naive .

People helping during the tsunami 13 years ago were arrested.

Never ever work illegally.

I'm wondering if all these foreign Tourist Police have work permits? Can they get a work permit if they hold a retirement visa? Or is it one or the other?

On 26 สิงหาคม 2559 at 7:50 PM, bluesofa said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I would be reluctant to try teaching in these circumstances, as has already been said about watching the advisers disappear when the proverbial does hit the fan.

I did think that if someone was willing to sign their name saying I could voluntarily teach English, that might be worthwhile, but then I woke up and realised I’d been dreaming.

It is frustrating that the bureaucratic system just isn’t interested in people helping without dropping themselves in it. Then again those at the top aren’t really renowned for helping the masses in any practical way, even when it will cost nothing.
Lack of common sense - prerequisite for bureaucrats.

If you live in a village where your wife is well known and respected, and even better has a relative in the police, you should have no problem. In the city, I wouldn't. Why chance getting done for doing good deeds?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you live in a village where your wife is well known and respected, and even better has a relative in the police, you should have no problem. In the city, I wouldn't. Why chance getting done for doing good deeds?

Have a very bad argument with your wife or end up getting divorced then the policemen relative will make sure you end up in immigration detention...

• Like 1

1000's of teachers in Bangkok work in schools and get paid and no work permits . Sure it is a risk but not that much from what I hear.   So if you teach some kids up in the village I would say the chances are slim they will come and arrest you.  But up 2 u as they say. 

On 8/27/2016 at 5:17 PM, bbi1 said:

I'm wondering if all these foreign Tourist Police have work permits? Can they get a work permit if they hold a retirement visa? Or is it one or the other?

I would imagine they do, or there are special arrangements for police volunteers.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2016 at 9:14 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I would imagine they do, or there are special arrangements for police volunteers.

Are you allowed to hold 2 different types of Visas? A Retirement visa & also I believe you need a Non-B visa to have a work permit? Is that right?