Villagers protest against garbage-fuelled power plant in Rayong

snoop1130

Villagers protest against garbage-fuelled power plant in Rayong

general-3-wpcf_728x413.jpg

About 100 villagers rallied in front of Rayong’s Klaeng district office on Friday to protest against the planned construction of a garbage-fuelled power plant near their community.

The protesters said they disagreed with the project because they were afraid that the garbage would contaminate their natural water sources which have been used to produce tap water.

The three-megawatt power plant is to be built in Tambon Sark Don in Klaeng district by Saraburi Power company.

It was reported that public hearings had been held to gauge opinions of people in the district about the project.

After a brief demonstration, the protesters submitted their protest note signed by those who are against the project to a district official.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/villagers-protest-garbage-fuelled-power-plant-rayong/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-26

Do they want a landfill instead?! If it's done right then it shouldn't be any mayor negative effects, I have even seen tests in Sweden where the exhaust was cleaner than the air sucked in to fuel the incineration thanks to all filtration.

One big problem in Thailand is that people don't want change. One other example was the factory employing over a hundred people that wanted to make a new bigger road to connect to the highway but the village people said NO. I hope they move that factory somewhere else so the people in that village Will lose their jobs that is the only way they will understand what they said NO to. Same with the gold mines, one of the mines generated work for over 3000 people when you include the subcontractors and when they all close down there will be tens of thousands people out of work and the same people that complained that the mines were polluting will be complaining that they don't have money to buy food as their families don't have any work.

22 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Why not turn all the cremation centers into power plants.  I just don't get it, why Thailand is so dead set on destroying its environment and endangering it's own people and for what...MONEY. for the 5%. So much for Buddhist principles. 

takes about 50 liters of diesel to incinerate a human so the power returns are not very good on crematoriums. these incinerators are an almost perfect solution. getting power to dispose of garbage. almost seems too good to be true.

In the past I was involved in the building of plants ,waste to energy. There are several out there designed and operating that do not produce any pollution and create energy from the waste. People need to be educated as the alternative of dumps is far more polluting.....

14 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Do they want a landfill instead?! If it's done right then it shouldn't be any mayor negative effects, I have even seen tests in Sweden where the exhaust was cleaner than the air sucked in to fuel the incineration thanks to all filtration.

One big problem in Thailand is that people don't want change. One other example was the factory employing over a hundred people that wanted to make a new bigger road to connect to the highway but the village people said NO. I hope they move that factory somewhere else so the people in that village Will lose their jobs that is the only way they will understand what they said NO to. Same with the gold mines, one of the mines generated work for over 3000 people when you include the subcontractors and when they all close down there will be tens of thousands people out of work and the same people that complained that the mines were polluting will be complaining that they don't have money to buy food as their families don't have any work.

as long as bye products are not discharged into the water system there should be no issue.

37 minutes ago, jaaaason said:

In the past I was involved in the building of plants ,waste to energy. There are several out there designed and operating that do not produce any pollution and create energy from the waste. People need to be educated as the alternative of dumps is far more polluting.....

it would be good to built pilot plants to show people the actual operation. word of mouth education will follow.

20 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I`m sure that you're right, but what do you think the chances are of the plant being built properly with no corners cut to save money?

If I was one of the Villagers I`d be very worried, & some of those Gold mines have poisoned everything around them.....

If its cheaper and easier to pollute then that is exactly what will happen. Big money worldwide rarely ever has problems getting politicians on board, short term gain always wins over long term degradation. Environment departments occasionally can hold things up, but ways are usually found around them, own the politician or bureaucrat, own the department.

In the PC West we feel good that we are now environmentally conscious, however the rape of our countries and the planet continues unabated. Green parties are usually hard left politicians using a new angle, the real agenda is social change, not environmental. We need power, mining etc, however we need to find sustainable solutions or we just pass the mess onto future generations.