PR applications can be filed per 1 Sept till 30 December

17 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

just dont see the point of permanent residence. still have to re new it every year. retirement or family visas are just as good and easier to get.

A permanent resident can walk out of immigration with their residence certificate and never go near an immigration office again in their life if they choose.

Travelling abroad requires a re-entry permit though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thedemon said:

A permanent resident can walk out of immigration with their residence certificate and never go near an immigration office again in their life if they choose.

Travelling abroad requires a re-entry permit though.

i have a german mate who got PR after alot of faff. i am sure he said he needs to be in the country at he time of renewal each year. he took a big risk putting down the non refundable application fee and got it but said it is not really that beneficial. maybe some one with PR can clarify this.

20 minutes ago, Junkyarddog said:

How stupid do you need to be to think that permanent residency needs to be renewed every year? There could be a reason they use the word "permanent".

I have had PR. for many years. If you leave for an overseas trip you need to get an exit visa and an endorsement. You must return within one year in accordance with the endorsement. If you never go overseas and you have PR you never need to go to immigration again for the rest of your life. Ninety day checkins are not required. PR has several other advantages as well but would probably not be of any interest here.

If you don't know then try real hard not to post.

I have a permanent residence permit in an EU country and it needs to renewed every five years. No fees, no drama but you lose it if you don't send in the application on time. There, "permanent" means " not renewed yearly". It does carry a bit more weight with banks, employers, etc. 

19 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have a german mate who got PR after alot of faff. i am sure he said he needs to be in the country at he time of renewal each year. he took a big risk putting down the non refundable application fee and got it but said it is not really that beneficial. maybe some one with PR can clarify this.

Just read the previous post and you have your answer, this subject does not need a lot of comments it's quite clear if you read previous post. Good luck

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks

Nice of them to only post the notice on the Bangkok immigration website with no notice on the nationwide one. http://www.immigration.go.th/

Big change giving people more time to apply.

This line is nonsense " In other regions : contact at local or near by Immigration Office/Checkpoint, " Good luck applying at a local immigration office. They will tell you to go to Bangkok.

They should rename the country Bangkok.

• Like 1

You can elect to check-in for (not renew) the visa every year or every five years, it's up to how much you pay. I go every five years to the office on Suan Plu. Other than that you don't need to visit Immigration and it's a lifetime visa. 

If you travel outside of Thailand you need to get a one-year multiple re-entry Visa and endorsement. I think that's 6,800 baht, all total. 

One of the upsides if this current government, and Gen Aunpong in particular is that they treating PR and Citizenship applications seriously. 

Good on them for opening up PR applications for 4 months rather than the usual 2 week window at the end of the year. 

6 hours ago, thedemon said:

Good news for applicants though it would be more useful with some prior notice.

I would think that most applicants planning to apply this year won't have their documents ready yet.

4 months is not enough notice? When I wanted to apply the window was open only a week between Christmas and year end -when many people had their annual vacation out of the country 

Edited by Time Traveller

14 hours ago, samran said:

One of the upsides if this current government, and Gen Aunpong in particular is that they treating PR and Citizenship applications seriously. 

Good on them for opening up PR applications for 4 months rather than the usual 2 week window at the end of the year. 

They are also moving the applications along faster as there were too many delays and backups due to government changes and those in charge not giving a damn in the past. This is what the officers told my friend who got his PR last year. If anyone is thinking of applying, now is the best time. For those who already applied, call your case officer to get an update.

I'd love to apply for a Permanent Residence.But the last time I spoke with an immigration officer she told me that it's difficult for me.Because I need to speak,write,read Thai.I'm married to Thai for 3 yrs.Have 3 consecutive Non immigrant O visa.Plus,I'm not working,just taking care of my son. And can't produce the 95,700 fee:D.So I will stick on every year non-o visa. :)

Edited by Roda07
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TerryLH said:

If you are married, you can now skip PR and apply for citizenship.

The cost is much less, but I think the 3 years working with a WP still applies.

It is best to say if you are married to a Thai and can qualify for PR you can apply for Thai citizenship.

The requirement are about the same,  One is that you must be legally working and can show 3 full years of tax payments.