Importers told to remove luxury cars from tax-free zones in 90 days.

rooster59

17 hours ago, trogers said:

And the reason is...?

The loop hole to register a car under "assembled from parts" had been closed. Customs were investigated in the past for taking under table bribes, so many are afraid since the army is in charge.

29 minutes ago, mike324 said:

The loop hole to register a car under "assembled from parts" had been closed. Customs were investigated in the past for taking under table bribes, so many are afraid since the army is in charge.

I don't buy the   '  afraid since the army's in charge  '   idea as it's just as it ever was,   people are only a target when certain criteria fits not simply because they're corrupt.

14 hours ago, Pdaz said:

I was looking at a 2014 AMG on one2car  it's one owner with a few thousand KM. The owner would have paid 5.6mil new. He is selling for 4.9mil.. Unfortunately Merc now sells the updated 2016 model for 4.3mil new.. The guy has no chance of selling.

You can ask what you want. It only takes one fool who wants to pay it.

Anyway, if those beemers are "brand new"  it means they are at least  5y old because they stopped producing that model since 2011.

I have no idea what a Thai climate will do with the oil, fuel, tires, rubbers, paint, etc in 5y but i think it will cost alot for any buyer to get these cars going.

7 hours ago, Foexie said:

You can ask what you want. It only takes one fool who wants to pay it.

Anyway, if those beemers are "brand new"  it means they are at least  5y old because they stopped producing that model since 2011.

I have no idea what a Thai climate will do with the oil, fuel, tires, rubbers, paint, etc in 5y but i think it will cost alot for any buyer to get these cars going.

Exactly my point. I'd rather buy a three year old car that had been running and driven every day than one that had sat idle in the heat for the same time period. But in their ignorance it seems many of the grey market dealers here still consider the car "New" even if as you say the model has been superseded. Most of us from the West are used to seeing the end of year/end of model sell offs. Most dealers in the West give large discounts or packs of 'extras" as an incentive to clear old stock. Not here, Somchai sits smug in the knowledge that he will sell the car for full price and full profit no matter how long it has sat on his forecourt ( in his dreams anyway).  Not saying that some might not take an offer, most Thai prices have a bargaining discount built in as no Thai is going to pay the first "full price", but this is understood. Maybe this stubborn attitude works for real estate where property may actually be an appreciating asset but there are very very few cars that do that here.

Though I have seen some rare models that would make good money in Europe but no chance of profit if paying the full price expected in Thailand.

On 8/28/2016 at 0:39 PM, Caveat Emptor said:

I don't buy the   '  afraid since the army's in charge  '   idea as it's just as it ever was,   people are only a target when certain criteria fits not simply because they're corrupt.

No, its not just as it ever was. I run a business and have imports coming in every month. The bribes that the customs have been asking has been minimal over the past 2 years,. But if you don't think so, then that is because you have never dealt with thai customs. So across the board, most agencies that deals with the government has been watching their backs. From first hand experience, the customs is one of them. They are actually doing their jobs better, getting people to pay the tax. Back then if I import X item, even if I pay the full tax, the customs won't release it if I don't pay under the table. Nowadays, they don't dare ask for under the table even if I pay the full tax.

The only non-corrupt agency that I ever dealt with over 20 years that I've been here was the Board of Investment.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:45 AM, FarangKnowTooMuch said:

All of the taxes and fees are presented prior to shipment. When the vehicle arrives here the fees are significantly more than initially expected. Then try to export the car from this lot? They will not allow it because you don’t have the paperwork you get after you pay the taxes/fees you were expectantly hit with upon arrival.

2 years later Thailand announces they will no longer sell the 91 fuel here. Good luck with running E20 in those!

They won't sell  91, but they will have 95 because its not much of a price difference. So people will still have a benzene option, which will be 95. No need to worry.

17 hours ago, mike324 said:

No, its not just as it ever was. I run a business and have imports coming in every month. The bribes that the customs have been asking has been minimal over the past 2 years,. But if you don't think so, then that is because you have never dealt with thai customs. So across the board, most agencies that deals with the government has been watching their backs. From first hand experience, the customs is one of them. They are actually doing their jobs better, getting people to pay the tax. Back then if I import X item, even if I pay the full tax, the customs won't release it if I don't pay under the table. Nowadays, they don't dare ask for under the table even if I pay the full tax.

The only non-corrupt agency that I ever dealt with over 20 years that I've been here was the Board of Investment.

The grey-import car business is very different to importing normal widgets.

I don't quite understand what you are saying in your post when you state:

1. "The bribes that the customs have been asking has been minimal over the past 2 years"

and then....

2. "Nowadays, they don't dare ask for under the table even if I pay the full tax." 

Are their still bribes or not?

4 hours ago, denkiblue555 said:

The grey-import car business is very different to importing normal widgets.

I don't quite understand what you are saying in your post when you state:

1. "The bribes that the customs have been asking has been minimal over the past 2 years"

and then....

2. "Nowadays, they don't dare ask for under the table even if I pay the full tax." 

Are their still bribes or not?

I import machines and industrial goods. Its really not all that different.

They still demand bribes, but rare. It depends on many variables, sometimes I clear the goods myself, other times I have the shipping company clear it and have them take care of the taxes. There are times where the shipping agents have said the custom demanded bribes from them (which is one of the reasons why its good just to let the shipping agent clear the goods for you and quote you all inclusive rate).

The customs are still corrupt, but a whole lot better than before. In the past you can't even argue with them you pay the full tax,  they would still demand tea money. 

Now you can throw the book at them and they will comply. Based on recent experiences they actually ask me to pay the full tax more often then they try to offer a deal to pay a lower tax. 

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

I import machines and industrial goods. Its really not all that different.

They still demand bribes, but rare. It depends on many variables, sometimes I clear the goods myself, other times I have the shipping company clear it and have them take care of the taxes. There are times where the shipping agents have said the custom demanded bribes from them (which is one of the reasons why its good just to let the shipping agent clear the goods for you and quote you all inclusive rate).

The customs are still corrupt, but a whole lot better than before. In the past you can't even argue with them you pay the full tax,  they would still demand tea money. 

Now you can throw the book at them and they will comply. Based on recent experiences they actually ask me to pay the full tax more often then they try to offer a deal to pay a lower tax. 

Fair enough, and sounds quite complex - I'd be letting the agents handle it as much as possible as you said!

But I still think compared to the grey market auto importers, you have a very different situation. I would hope none of your machines are cut-and-shut, for example.

But overall it is good to hear that the corruption seems to be reducing..... hopefully it will stay that way.

• 2 months later...

They don't want to put the cars up for sale coz that would mean high taxes. 

But then why import the cars if they don't want to sell them because of high taxes? 

Just keep importing cars to store them. You gotta do something with that intelligence, put it to good use or else.  

9 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

They don't want to put the cars up for sale coz that would mean high taxes. 

But then why import the cars if they don't want to sell them because of high taxes? 

Just keep importing cars to store them. You gotta do something with that intelligence, put it to good use or else.  

Of course they want to sell them, they only don't want to have to cover for the import duties for that long.

By the way, the 90 days have passed. Any news on this?