Wastewater Treatment And Fresh Water Reservation Projects Expedited For Koh Chang

Jai Dee

DASTA pushes for wastewater treatment and fresh water reservation projects in Koh Chang

Designated Areas for Sustainable Tourism Administration (DASTA) is expediting the wastewater treatment and fresh water reservation projects for Koh Chang (เกาะช้าง) Island.

Today (November, 23) Prasart Rimchala (ประสาท ริมชลา), manager of the Koh Chang and adjacent areas tourism office under DASTA, revealed that DASTA is expediting the wastewater treatment and fresh water reservation projects for Koh Chang (เกาะช้าง) Island. DASTA has hired a private company to design and a wastewater treatment system for the island and now the company is searching for the location to install the system. The construction is expected to be completed soon.

As for the fresh water reservation project, DASTA has cooperated with the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) to make a small reservoir to solve the island’s water shortage problem. After the authorities surveyed the island, there are two locations in Ban Klong Phrao (บ้านครองพร้าว) and Ban Salakphet (บ้านสลักเพชร) suitable for the reservoir construction designed by RID. The reservoir will provide fresh water to the provincial waterworks department which distributes clean water to local residents and entrepreneurs.

Koh Chang Island has an average rain volume of 4,000-5,000 millimeters per year. The island’s lack of reservoir causes water shortage occurring about two months in every year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2006

Solve the water shortage and then some bigger developments can be built..........ooooops, now that we have these bigger developments we have a water shortage again....solve the water shortage and then some even bigger developments can be built.........oooooops.............

Chownah

On my first visit to Koh Chang, we stayed in Salakphet Bay. How exotic! Until I had a look under the small cottages on stilts :D , all the waste water from toilet and showers was dumped just under your room where the water is quite still, sewage mixed with garbage. The sea water there had become similar to klong water, black and smelly.

Then the snorkelling tour boats would gather up around the same islands. You had better be careful when swimming and approaching boats to avoid the clouds of broken up feces coming from the boats' :o toilets. That day was particularly bad as most people present had been suffering from slight food poisoning.

On my first visit to Koh Chang, we stayed in Salakphet Bay. How exotic! Until I had a look under the small cottages on stilts :D , all the waste water from toilet and showers was dumped just under your room where the water is quite still, sewage mixed with garbage. The sea water there had become similar to klong water, black and smelly.

Then the snorkelling tour boats would gather up around the same islands. You had better be careful when swimming and approaching boats to avoid the clouds of broken up feces coming from the boats' :D toilets. That day was particularly bad as most people present had been suffering from slight food poisoning.

I had just been planning a romantic weekend there with my better half until this post, Tony. :D

Thanks! :o