Retirement extension - passport change query

Hi Guys

I hope someone can advise me here. I have a retirement extension here in Thailand and the passport it is in is almost full. I did work in the Oil industry before so had a second passport - I would be most grateful for advice on how to move the visa / extension to my passport with pages left - many thanks guys - Both are UK passports one from 2012 (full one) the other from 2011 - almost empty.

Scotinsiam

Visas are never moved. You could ask your local office to transfer the permit to stay (extension of stay stamp) from the full to empty passport, but I'm not sure they would do it as the passport's still valid and you have a few pages left. It would be better to wait until you renew the extension of stay and get them to put the new permit to stay in the almost empty passport. 

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

You cannot change from one passport to the another one without having your current passport canceled and having a letter from the embassy to support the cancellation. You would want to check with your local immigration office before doing the cancellation to find out if they will do it,

Normally the only way to change passports is to leave and re-enter the country using the other passport to get an entry to the country using it but they might not do the change at immigration since the other one would still be valid.

• Like 1