When exactly to VISA run?

First, clarify what finishes Wednesday: is it the "enter before" date on a multiple entry visa or an "admitted until" date on an entry or extension of stay? Second, what is your nationality? If you have an extension of stay based on working that expires August 31, and have no re-entry permit for that entry, then leaving Thailand cancels the entry (a land border may be reluctant to let you do this). If you enter Thailand without a valid visa or re-entry permit, most nationalities can receive a visa exempt entry. This is for 30 days if entering by air and 15 or 30 days entering by land (depending on whether you are from a G7 country).

Do you have an a non-b visa from an embassy or consulate or an extension of stay based upon working?

If on an extension of stay it depends upon which crossing you go to.

At most crossing you will able to cross and then re-enter to get a 15 day or 30 day (G7 countries) visa exempt entry without a problem.

It is a working B that is about to finish, I have ended my contract.
The passport stamp says 'Extension of Stay Permitted up to' (stamped 31 Aug).

I have a UK passpot.

So you both seem to think I'll have no problem getting 30 days crossing into Laos for an hour or so.

The reason I initially posted is that whenever I have arrived at BKK in the past I had nothing added to my passport as I had my Non-Imm B.
Or I am making a wrong assumption (never having entered without a Visa), is there nothing added to the passport apart from the entry date and this is sufficient to establish the 30 days?

This is how I interpret your explanations. While, at one time, you will have entered Thailand using a visa, for some time you have been in Thailand on an extension of stay. If you have left and re-entered Thailand, you also have a re-entry permit.

Technically, if you leave Thailand and return before August 31st, an immigration official could decide that your re-entry permit means you should be readmitted until August 31st. However, I think most officials would admit you as a visa exempt tourist entry for 30 days. They may want confirmation that you are no longer working before doing so. It might be wise to have a letter from your employer confirming that this is the case.

1 hour ago, bertiebee said:

It is a working B that is about to finish, I have ended my contract.
The passport stamp says 'Extension of Stay Permitted up to' (stamped 31 Aug).

I have a UK passpot.

So you both seem to think I'll have no problem getting 30 days crossing into Laos for an hour or so.

The reason I initially posted is that whenever I have arrived at BKK in the past I had nothing added to my passport as I had my Non-Imm B.
Or I am making a wrong assumption (never having entered without a Visa), is there nothing added to the passport apart from the entry date and this is sufficient to establish the 30 days?

If you are doing the crossing at Nong Kai or Mukdahan they might ask for a letter from your employer stating the date your job ends. The date must be for or after the date you are leaving. If they ask for the letter and you don't have the letter they might not allow you do the crossing.