Freedom to Marry Affidavit from Embassy

paddy

Hi Guys,

Wife and I are getting a divorce - we have been separated for many years but for unavoidable reasons could only finalise the divorce now.

I have been in a new relationship in those intervening years and wish to marry my new partner once we finalise the divorce etc, my question is what does getting the freedom to marry affidavit at my Embassy entail? What is needed, is it simply just walk in and get a sworn statement and what documents are required? 

Also is my divorce here good enough for the Embassy (Ireland), we were married in Ireland so will that be a problem? 

Thanks, Paddy 

A divorce in Thailand is legal worldwide, same as the original wedding was.

And the Embassy (UK) just needs to see your divorce certificate and then they will issue you with your affirmation to marry. However in your case I imagine your certificate will be in Thai, so you will need it translating into English first and maybe??? stamping at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, I am not sure about that. Hope this helps.

HL

You do have to make an appointment at the British embassy. I had one for tomorrow morning to do my affirmation so I could get married. The UK embassy called me this afternoon and told me that at the moment the Thai government or Ministry of Foreign Relations is not accepting their affirmation form. Not only the UK. Several countries. They are trying to resolve the issue. I had to cancel my appointment and am waiting for them to get back to me. I posted a thread on here but so far nobody has been able to elaborate further regarding this.