Thai Fonts In Firefox, Kde Etc.

Shimokitazawa

I'm currently using SuSE 9.2 and want to be able to display Thai. I have installed Thai fonts and they do display, but the system is not displaying the vowels / accent markers (or whatever you call them) correctly. In Firefox and Mozilla browsers they are rendered as individual characters, i.e. not above / beneath the "normal" characters. KDE does a slightly better job but the markers are so far above / below the line that they are often not visible.

OpenOffice does display correctly however.

Any idea which settings I can tweak? I've tried various combinations of fonts in Firefox / Mozilla but to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently using SuSE 9.2 and want to be able to display Thai. I have installed Thai fonts and they do display, but the system is not displaying the vowels / accent markers (or whatever you call them) correctly. In Firefox and Mozilla browsers they are rendered as individual characters, i.e. not above / beneath the "normal" characters. KDE does a slightly better job but the markers are so far above / below the line that they are often not visible.

OpenOffice does display correctly however.

Any idea which settings I can tweak? I've tried various combinations of fonts in Firefox / Mozilla but to no avail.

I've just noticed that in the Mozilla browsers at least, Thai fonts are displayed correctly if the page specifies the font to be at least 12pt and the line height 100%, which helps a little.

At some point when I have time I'll install a more recent distro; anyone have any experience with Ubuntu / Kubuntu with regards to Thai font display, e.g. does it work more or less out of the box?