Do you enjoy buffets here?

JJGreen

When I was in my twenties I loved a buffet!

Now, as I am past 40, the charm has worn off… The appeal of gorging myself silly has diminished. I only want to eat as much as I need…not as much as I can cram into the stomach.

If I over eat, and hey, it’s a buffet, it’s what u are there for, I feel bloated for the night and possibly sluggish for a day or two. The entire system could go haywire for a day or two from the mix and quantity of food consumed

Then there is an issue of value. Do you get more value from a buffet situation or more value from a few dishes at a restaurant?

These days, buffets don’t hold the appeal they once did.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP, I reckon if that is your mindset before sitting into a buffet meal, you will never enjoy it.

Ever tried eating as much as you want instead of gorging?

You're not a Chinese 'packager' are you?

OP, I reckon if that is your mindset before sitting into a buffet meal, you will never enjoy it.

I have tried that chrisinth bit temptation gets the better of me...and i invariably overeat

What's a chinese packager?

35 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Maybe it happens, but never seen anyone just fill a small plate (once) and then leave. "As much as you want" is probably a lot more that what you need.

My Thai family enjoy em of course and when my visiting uk family also uk friends come they enjoy buffets here too, it's more of novelty and fun for them l think,  the Chinese restaurant one with the conveyor belt is always a good laugh and you pay by the hour.  

UK family and friends like the ones that are set price too with the cook it yourself burner pots on the table mainly because it's so different to any organized uk ones.

For me it's just occasional take it or leave it situation.

I don't like the concept of set priced buffets.

The answer is Brazilian style, lunchtime 'Kilo Restaurants' They are inexpensive, good food and often wth the addedd bonus of a meat selection cooked in front of you. You pay by the weight of food on your plate so there is no incentive to over eat. Be good to see the concept in Thailand.

My Thai family enjoy em of course and when my visiting uk family also uk friends come they enjoy buffets here too, it's more of novelty and fun for them l think,  the Chinese restaurant one with the conveyor belt is always a good laugh and you pay by the hour.  

UK family and friends like the ones that are set price too with the cook it yourself burner pots on the table mainly because it's so different to any organized uk ones.

For me it's just occasional take it or leave it situation.

Moo krataw joints were a fun novelty at first...but it wears off
Fat and heat from the cooker at close quarters. ..the cooker plate gets food quickly bunt onto it.
Quality of food varies greatly from place to place

One thing I really, really miss here are decent quality INDIAN food buffets.

In Pattaya, there are budget group tour buffets for Indian tourists and in Bangkok there are some special high end weekend buffets (which are excellent).

But I've never understood why there aren't DAILY Indian food buffets with excellent food (doesn't need to be as good as the Bangkok luxury weekend buffets) at mid-level prices for the general public, not only tour groups which rely on budget pricing and thus low quality. 

I guess my more general answer is that yes I would still enjoy buffets if the food is decent quality at a decent price. Not finding many buffets in Pattaya meeting that description. Sometimes I go for the budget Iranian food buffets, but the quality is pretty low. I agree the moo krataw places get boring.

Edited by Jingthing

In Pattaya, there are budget group tour buffets for Indian tourists and in Bangkok there are some special high end weekend buffets (which are excellent).

But I've never understood why there aren't DAILY Indian food buffets with excellent food (doesn't need to be as good as the Bangkok luxury weekend buffets) at mid-level prices for the general public, not only tour groups which rely on budget pricing and thus low quality. 

I guess my more general answer is that yes I would still enjoy buffets if the food is decent quality at a decent price. Not finding many buffets in Pattaya meeting that description. Sometimes I go for the budget Iranian food buffets, but the quality is pretty low. I agree the moo krataw places get boring.

You can get some basic vegetarian indian buffets in indian or Bangladeshi areas of bkk for around 100 baht.
The 600 or 700 baht for an indian buffet in bkk is over the top for me.
I'd pay that for a good seafood or hotel buffet...not Indian

Buffets turn me off…simply because I know that to offer it at that price point they have used the cheapest ingredients with no care or thought.

Some, like the salad bar at sizzler or the buffets at hilton pattaya, are pretty good...

The strategy at buffets is not to try every dish….zero in on 2-3 things you like and have at it.

My weakness is lobster.

Edited by JHolmesJr

I've been eating buffets all my life, starting back in the US.  When you're younger, you can gorge as much as you like and not feel ill effects the day after.  But nowadays, I no longer enjoy porking out to the point of throwing up.  I still go to buffets, but I take small portions of many different foods and never stuff myself like back in the day.  I never worry about trying to "get my moneys worth."  So OP,  you can still enjoy buffets but a bit of control is necessary.  As for value, some of these Japanese buffets are pretty good. 

there are breakfast buffets in just about every hotel i have stayed in in thailand or some 15+ other countries so far - a few, all up!

some are good, some are basic, some are even less. but often there really is no alternative.

outstanding - to this day - the 'Pullman' in Khon Kaen. never had anything like it - anywhere.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Indian food can be suss at the best of times, but I would bet that a buffet gets recycled until it's all gone, even the leftovers on plates gets added back into the mix. No thanks.

For me a Buffet has always been about getting to taste as many different dishes as possible in one meal. Especially for example the Classic Swedish Christmas and New year Buffets and Smörgåsbord.

But the Buffets here in Thailand always come across as a bit washed down and tasteless, always dishes that don't do very well sitting around for hours on heaters. 

But admittedly, a good buffet almost always make you eat more than you need on the occasion.

there are breakfast buffets in just about every hotel i have stayed in in thailand or some 15+ other countries so far - a few, all up!

some are good, some are basic, some are even less. but often there really is no alternative.

outstanding - to this day - the 'Pullman' in Khon Kaen. never had anything like it - anywhere.

Interesting point you raise

When i did the op i really had lunch or dinner buffets in my mind...not breakfast.

That's one buffet i dont mind too much...just from a selection view and i can eat things i dont normally have for breakfast...
But...i still tend to over eat at the breakfast ones..trying as many different items as I can

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I've been eating buffets all my life, starting back in the US.  When you're younger, you can gorge as much as you like and not feel ill effects the day after.  But nowadays, I no longer enjoy porking out to the point of throwing up.  I still go to buffets, but I take small portions of many different foods and never stuff myself like back in the day.  I never worry about trying to "get my moneys worth."  So OP,  you can still enjoy buffets but a bit of control is necessary.  As for value, some of these Japanese buffets are pretty good. 

Youhave beaten me to the punch. At age 69, I love the buffets...but, I go for the variety not looking for quantity. Hmm, guess that might apply to other areas as Iget older and,

perhaps, more discerning.

Edited by wwest5829

Years ago, when I was still working in the US, I would go on a week long cruise in the Caribbean. If you have ever been on one, you know that the buffets are overflowing and constant! Yet, I also came home a few pounds lighter. The secret is small portions and then pushing away from the table. 

Now I live in Chiang Mai and the only buffet I ever go to is the Sunday Buffet at the Shangri-La Hotel. that's because they have Alaskan King Crab Legs. Salad bar at Sizzler is also nice for lunch.

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

Lobster at the buffet Hilton.  Cherry's has equally as expensive items.  Shabshi,  Nikuya Japanese BBQ buffet.  I guess not many people really dine in Thailand on here.

buf one.jpg

buffet two.jpg

buffet three.jpg

buffet four.jpg

Buffet five.jpg

I prefer the Mantra Sunday Brunch in Pattaya. It's B2k, but the extent of the offerings is more than tolerable. I usually start with a couple of Gin Bloody Marys; followed by caviar and pickled shitake on rice cracker and washed down with a jug a sake. I like a dry white with the king crab and a dry red with the Wagu beef. A quadruple expresso and a double Otard neat set the tone for the white chocolate ripe mango and dark chocolate strawberries fondue. A fine cigar on the veranda with another double Otard, and it’s time to hit the bars.

Yes, I enjoy the Sizzler and the Nana Hotel buffet in Bangkok.  

I enjoy the Lek buffet at the Lek hotel on Soi 13 in Pattaya.

There is a Sizzler on Beach Road in the mall  near the McDonald's around  Soi 16 as I recall in Pattaya.

Everything in moderation.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

For me a Buffet has always been about getting to taste as many different dishes as possible in one meal. Especially for example the Classic Swedish Christmas and New year Buffets and Smörgåsbord.

But the Buffets here in Thailand always come across as a bit washed down and tasteless, always dishes that don't do very well sitting around for hours on heaters. 

But admittedly, a good buffet almost always make you eat more than you need on the occasion.

Wrong the Thai buffets that don't come across as washed down and tasteless and old are Hilton,  Cherry',s Shabshi and Nikuya Japanese BBQ buffet and many more I haven't listed.

24 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Wrong the Thai buffets that don't come across as washed down and tasteless and old are Hilton,  Cherry',s Shabshi and Nikuya Japanese BBQ buffet and many more I haven't listed.

Yes, you get what you pay for, just like with anything else.

The last Buffet I pegged out in was four years ago. In Bangkok.  At the Marriott.  In the Japanese restaurant. It was awesome. It even included alcohol.  The girls brought out saki like it was water. The food was good. It was 2200b back then. I would do it again in a heartbeat.  

As someone else said Brazilian style por kilo restaurants are great, the first time I was in one I piled the food high on the plate and noticed most people with smaller amounts, I was getting full about half way through and noticed that everybody else was eating everything on their plate so I thought I'm going to have to eat all mine as well took about an hour and a half and could barely move, I learned my lesson and only put on the plate what I could eat comfortable.