K.l. Or Penang, Which Is Best For T.v. Right Now? And Other Questions :)

Hi all,

I'm about to do my first Visa run and it seems from what I've read that either Kuala Lumpur or Penang would be my best choices for a single entry 60 day tourist visa.

My question(s) to you is: at which would I have a better chance of getting the Tourist Visa? I've done my best to search the forum but as you all know the amount of info on here is staggering.

As this might help in terms of giving perspective on my chances of whether I'll get a tourist visa in either of these locations, I'm American - I've had 1 - 60 day Tourist Visa issued in the USA, plus 1 30 day extension issued here in Bangkok.

Will I need to have a ticket showing a flight out of Thailand for the time at which the new Visa would expire?

Also, in the city that you suggest - would you recommend a (cheap) hotel and whether or not I should use a agent or not?

Thank you for any help!

I suspect a single entry should be available at either location. KL has been better for double entry however.

You might want to indicate price range for hotels and how much dirt you can take. I found anything below 600 baht in Penang to be something to avoid but others might not feel that way. I am sure at age 20 I would have been less discerning than I am today.

you wont have trouble in either place. penang is the ritual stop and im sure youll use it often in future. why dont you take the bus from kb or penang to kl? its a new city but has much to offer for a few days walkabout. im sure youll only get a single in penang -loy percent!

penang has many clean guesthouse for 25myr if you know where to look. i take a dorm myself for 16.

Edited by h5n1

You might want to indicate price range for hotels and how much dirt you can take. I found anything below 600 baht in Penang to be something to avoid but others might not feel that way. I am sure at age 20 I would have been less discerning than I am today.

It's seeming then the main question regarding deciding on which city to spend time in is which I'd prefer to be in for a few days. Which do you prefer?

I can afford from 1,000 Baht down, though of course less is better. Before I found a serviced apt in Bkk I was staying at the "Bed and breakfast inn" over near MBK which was tiny and super clean for 500 a night - which was perfect for me.

I can totally relate, as I'm becoming older small comforts mean more and more to me :o

Thanks for your help! :D

its not which is prefered - they are both worth visiting for different reasons. its too bad penag is so neglected, it could be simply charming - but its a bore. it does have big malls to while away the hours while waiting for visa in a/c comfort replete with cinema. lots of great indian food in penang. stuff to see/do outside the city as well.

kl is a bustling city that might be a bit daunting at first or by the time you sort it out, youll have your visa - but its def worth a visit although by nation capital standards its a bore. also expensive and hassle coming in from airport.

malaysia is often given a pass, there is lots to see and the language is super easy.

kl is a bustling city that might be a bit daunting at first or by the time you sort it out, youll have your visa - but its def worth a visit although by nation capital standards its a bore. also expensive and hassle coming in from airport.

malaysia is often given a pass, there is lots to see and the language is super easy.

This is making me lean more towards KL as I'm not a fan of malls at all and I've got a friend in KL who has offered to show me around.

Though I'm going to have to consult google to see if there are any good beaches on Penang :o

Thank you very much for your help and input, I had been in the process of responding to your original post but the flood control setting made me wait a bit and you beat me to the punch.

dude - if you have a friend, that makes all the difference.

penang only has decent beaches if you are coming from nakon nowhere that has no beach. i rail about thailand often, but it does have nicest beaches overall in the region.

try to speak the language, its so easy and youll get a bit more hooked on the country. also, you can use the language in indonesia as well. it is not tonal and written in western script.

salamat jalan pak!

There are beaches on Penang and the city of Georgetown has retained a very colonial look making it very interesting to walk or cycle tour. The old large trees full of birds in the evening are worth the visit. It is more than a normal city.