Corrections Officials Raid A Prison And Confiscate Sim Cards From Officials

george

Corrections officials raid a prison and confiscate sim cards from officials

BANGKOK: -- Heavily-armed corrections officials raided a Bangkok prison for drug addicted in Bangkok on Thursday, confiscating mobile phones and telephone sim cards.

The corrections department acted after being aleted that some inmates trade drug through mobile telephones, Corrections Department's chief Natthee Jitsawang said Thursday.

The armed officials raided the inmates' high-security dormitory in Central Correctional Institution for Drug Addicted at about 3pm.

After the raid, officials confiscated ten mobile phones, mostly new and expensive brands, as well as some sim cards.

Nathee said that the raid was conducted after his office was alerted that some influential inmates managed to do drug business from their cells. The department will investigate how the prisoners smuggled the phones into the prison, he said.

-- The Nation 2006-11-23

George: Any chance you could edit that slightly misleading headline? The article mentions nothing about confiscating SIM cards "from officials". I believe it should read: "...from Inmates"?

No, silly, they didn't take the cell phones. They just took the SIM cards. Most of the prisoners have those old phones, so there is very little reason to take them. The SIM cards, however, you can use for a month before they will cut you off for not paying the bill!

I am puzzled.

Sure a prisoner could use a mobile to order drugs, BUT

how are the drugs delivered, if the prisons are secure??

Do we have porous prisons, like the national borders?? :o

Yep. If you have money; life in the Kingdom's notorious jails isn't as hard as all that.

A lot of the inmates are connected to "influential" drug barons, and warders better facilitate some comm's and drugs for their charges, unless they or their families may get paid a visit on the "outside."

I am puzzled.

Sure a prisoner could use a mobile to order drugs, BUT

how are the drugs delivered, if the prisons are secure??

Do we have porous prisons, like the national borders?? :o

Astral,

I think the implication was that they were managing their thriving business outside the 4 walls will still enjoying the view from the inside.

Having said that, it is a pretty well know fact that mood altering substances are not that difficult to acquire while vacationing at the Monkey House Hotel.