snoop1130

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

No big shakes Thailand is pretty near the bottom of the pecking order. Will still have a bit his consulate precence if it's in an industrial estate so be it.

Shhhhh don't let the head Honcho hear you say that! (bottom of pecking order) indeed, bit of AA needed for you, my son!

23 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I put it down to Brexit...the Brits seem to be feeling under the sofa cushions for any loose change it seems.

It's really a shame as like the article says, this site (before the Central Embassy carbuncle) was a gracious bit of old British Raj in Bangkok. I'm just glad that when I lived in Bangkok for a few years at the turn of the Millennium, I was able to attend a few Ploenchit Fairs, ambassordor's open houses and teas, and Armistice Day rememberances, with Ole Queen Vic, at the embassy.

Erm, dont think so. The UK economy is the 5th largest in the World and this money, however big it may sound is peanuts compared to the UK gdp and budget. If what you said was true and the UK desperately needed this money the UK would already be bankrupt,,,

The likely reason is lack of requirement. The UK does not need 9 acres of space in Thailand anymore. The trips to Thailand are steadily declining for most Westerners and other locations are growing. The UK is no longer the biggest visitor to Thailand and it is unlikely it will become so fashionable again.

Thailand is becoming a destination for people in SE Asia more and more, the increase in Chinese visitors will likely continue and other places are becoming more popular for Brits and other Western countries. These are the destination countries for Brits on the ABTA watch list right now,,

1. Austria
  2. Botswana
  3. Cuba
  4. Dominican Republic
  5. Japan
  6. Latvia
  7. La Gomera, (Spain)
  8. Norway
  9. Pacific Coast (USA)
  10. Singapore
  11. The Netherlands
  12. The Peloponnese (Greece)

3 hours ago, swanny321 said:

How very dare you, Sir! Us Brits will need somewhere to escape to after the zombie apocalypse; those who survive!

Have you ever been there?

Imagine "Benny" off the ITV soap "Crossroads" as an extra in a low budget zombie movie.....

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Those are World Bank figures.

It doesn't mean that everyone in Thailand gets that much, wealth distribution in Thailland is somewhat unequal, to say the least.

<snip>

Right. It illustrates the income inequality more than competence to be called a 'developed' country (which it most certainly isn't).

Thanks for the additional info, although somehow that just depresses...

Winnie

There are many reasons Embassies are sold and relocated. Just as you would a home. Many of these buildings are old and outdated. Expensive to keep up. Sadly, in our age, security becomes a major concern. Never been to this embassy, but from the picture, it doesn't look too secure. US relocated a number of embassies, including (if my memory serves), the one in London.

OK. My two cents worth. Cary on bashing the UK. ;)

On 8/30/2016 at 6:23 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

I put it down to Brexit...the Brits seem to be feeling under the sofa cushions for any loose change it seems.

It's really a shame as like the article says, this site (before the Central Embassy carbuncle) was a gracious bit of old British Raj in Bangkok. I'm just glad that when I lived in Bangkok for a few years at the turn of the Millennium, I was able to attend a few Ploenchit Fairs, ambassordor's open houses and teas, and Armistice Day rememberances, with Ole Queen Vic, at the embassy.

Brexit, Brexit, Brexit, this has NOTHING to do with the UK leaving the EU.

Blair/Brown sold off the frontage 10 years ago after years of rumors, but that ended the Ploenchit Fair on site. The fact is really the facilities are very old and there is little reason it should stay where it is. A nice new terrorist proof building out of town would be fine, it will just need some helpful staff to go with it...

:welcomeani:

11 hours ago, dhream said:

Big Embassies are a folly.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

Its not a big Embassy, its always been an orribly small and cramped Embassy, where everybody was jammed into queues listening to some ugly immigration uberbitch making yet another little Thai girl cry her eyes out in public.

Its a nice garden that was open only to the very privileged few except on one day per year and it should be retained and Brits allowed to sit in a quiet spot in the middle of the city.

Maybe if they open it up and let the staff eat their Marmite sandwiches there at lunch time they would be a bit less bilious.

The garden sounds lovely, but is it really a little piece of the Sceptre'd Isle worth paying too mutt to keep for appearances sake, much as we're all about appearances? ...or perhaps not?

There are many reasons Embassies are sold and relocated. Just as you would a home. Many of these buildings are old and outdated. Expensive to keep up. Sadly, in our age, security becomes a major concern. Never been to this embassy, but from the picture, it doesn't look too secure. US relocated a number of embassies, including (if my memory serves), the one in London.

OK. My two cents worth. Cary on bashing the UK. [emoji6]

Oh I never knew the Seppos left Grosvenor Square until now! I spent many a youthful hour discouraging swarthy alien gentlemen from storming that august building, wherein lantern-jawed jarheads were calmly waiting to cut them to pieces.
I love democracy!

9 hours ago, dhream said:

The garden sounds lovely, but is it really a little piece of the Sceptre'd Isle worth paying too mutt to keep for appearances sake, much as we're all about appearances? ...or perhaps not?

It costs nothing to keep it.

They just miss their chance to get their hot little mitts on a bit of the vig that will be pocket change in 20 years.

Imagine how much it will be worth in 50 years, 100 years!

Tempers fuggit an all at Latino stuff.

Edited by MiKT