Kuala Lumpur Visa Run

Just did a run to KL to get a non-immigrant B single entry. Here is what I learned so the next new guy/gal can benefit (thanks for people who gave me tips before I went!):

Money: Ringgit are pretty much Thai baht without a zero, 1 ringgit = 10 baht approximately. About 3.65 ringgit = 1 US dollar.

From airport to KL: If you're flying to the budget airport, there are buses run by two companies, Airasia and another, for 9 and 8 ringgit respectively. You can buy a ticket after you get off the plane. Go into the domestic departure terminal, hang a right through the hall next to the Emporium, and go all the way back to the ticket desks. Buses leave every half hour, they go to Sentral station in downtown KL where you can get taxis, buses, monorail. Takes about an hour to get to KL.

Getting to the consulate: Taxi of course, or there's a light rail/monorail stop, Jalan Ampang, about 10 minutes walk on the same street.

At the consulate: Can do application from 9:30-11:30am. We got there at 9:15 and there were already about 20-25 people there signing in. You sign in with your passport number, get an application form, and at 9:30 the office door opens and you grab your queue number. I got 26 and was there til about 10:45 waiting. No problems. Bring a photocopy of your passport plus ringgit to pay the visa fee. They'll take baht or dollars but charge more. Staff can tell you where to exchange money, get copies or do photos nearby if you don't have.

Pick-up the next day between 11:30-12:30. It's quick. The line up sprang up spontaneously at the window at about 11:15 so if you're in a hurry, hang close to the window and line up fast.

Single versus multiple entry: I put down multiple entry just to see what happened but was told immediately I could only get single entry. OK.

The Petronas Towers: Tall frickin' buildings, but not the tallest in the world any more except they are the tallest TWIN towers. They are a subway stop from the consulate stop (Jalan Ampang) at KLCC (KL City Center), or the surface buses go right there, too. We walked in about 25-30 minutes but of course that was hot. Cheap, decent food in the food court at the towers. There's a good bookstore with lots of English language books and movie theater there also.

You need tickets to go up to the skybridge for a view. Tickets are free but limited. We were told they hand them out starting at 8:30am or so and they're pretty much gone by about 10:30 or 11:00. Unless you're going to be in KL for more than the two days for your visa, this timing really doesn't work well.

Accommodations: Can't say much here. Where we stayed was OK but not fabulous. It was close to Bukit Bintang that has some good food and shops, but otherwise, just OK place to stay. Look on-line. We booked by looking up through Lonely Planet.

That's all I can think of. Good luck! People were friendly and super helpful and we had no trouble finding English speakers so we got along there just fine. There were information kiosks in every major location--airport, Sentral station, Petronas Towers, etc. We got only accurate, helpful answers. Nice people.

All the same, glad to be back home! :o

Just did a run to KL to get a non-immigrant B single entry. Here is what I learned so the next new guy/gal can benefit (thanks for people who gave me tips before I went!):

I'm planning my first Visa run to Malaysia and this info is very helpful.

Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Any fresh news from KL about Non Immigrant multiple entry visa (B for example) for a fully register company 7 years old with all correct papers ?

Do they have a single entry policy as Penang or still OK for multiple entry visa ?

Thanks for any fresh news, cause I will go there next week.

Philippe

Hi.

Any fresh news from KL about Non Immigrant multiple entry visa (B for example) for a fully register company 7 years old with all correct papers ?

Do they have a single entry policy as Penang or still OK for multiple entry visa ?

Thanks for any fresh news, cause I will go there next week.

Philippe

Depends on how long you have the work permit, your nationality and how much registered capital your company has.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Depends on how long you have the work permit, your nationality and how much registered capital your company has.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

7 years in January 2007 / I am French / 2 Million Bht Capital registered.... All balance paper / income tax / company benefit tax / witholding tax / Just no VAT because total income/years around 700,000 Bht /

If this can help...

Philippe