Zika infection in Thailand is not widespread: Disease Control Department

webfact

Zika infection in Thailand is not widespread: Disease Control Department

3008001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Disease Control Department has dismissed as inaccurate a report of the Disease Control and Prevention Centre of the European Union placing Thailand as a country with widespread Zika infection in the last three months.

The department director-general, Dr Amnuay Kajeena, explained on Tuesday that since Thailand had never submitted any report about Zika infection to the European Union, it was assumed that the report might be based on press reports which were not accurate.

He suggested that the EU’s disease control and prevention centre should base its report on the data of the World Health Organisation.

WHO has placed Thailand among countries with scattered Zika infection which also include Vietnam, Indonesia and Singapore, said Dr Amnuay, adding that Zika infection which used to affect 16 provinces has now reduced to six provinces without any new cases.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/zika-infection-thailand-not-widespread-disease-control-department/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-31

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lies, lies and more lies. Anything to protect the golden goose. 

The roads are safe, the police are honest, the taxi drivers are professional, the beaches are clean, there is no terrorism, there is no zika... Disgraceful.

Again again again, opposite statements from other news articles. I never trust Thai PBS news articles and really don't understand TV using them as source. :)

He suggested that the EU’s disease control and prevention centre should base its report on the data of the World Health Organisation.

I think they do :whistling:

Another statement in newspaper says opposite

Big jump in number of cases in Thailand

Between 2012 and 2015, an average of just five people were recorded as infected with the Zika virus each year. But in the first six months of this year, at least 97 people in Thailand have been diagnosed with the disease. And over the past week, new infections have been detected in Chiang Mai, Chanthaburi, Phetchabun and Bung Kan provinces.

Disease Control Department chief Dr Amnuay Gajeena, however, sought to allay concerns yesterday about the Zika threat in the country.
"We have implemented the strictest measures in controlling |the spread of the Zika virus," he |said.

Amnuay added that Thailand had not seen the prolonged spread of the disease in any affected area and the number of patients was not overwhelming.

"Because of mosquitoes, it's quite hard to eradicate Zika virus once and for all," Chiang Mai's public health chief Dr Paisal Thanyawinichkul said.

Big jump in number of Zika cases in Thailand

BANGKOK - The number of detected Zika infections in Thailand has jumped significantly this year compared to recent years.

The number of detected Zika infections in Thailand has jumped significantly this year compared to recent years. Between 2012 and 2015, an average of just five people were recorded as infected with the Zika virus each year.

But in the first six months of this year, at least 97 people in Thailand have been diagnosed with the disease. And over the past week, new infections have been detected in Chiang Mai, Chanthaburi, Phetchabun and Bung Kan provinces.

Full story: http://health.asiaone.com/health/health-news/big-jump-number-zika-cases-thailand

-- asiaone 2016-08-31

2 hours ago, carstenp said:

Again again again, opposite statements from other news articles. I never trust Thai PBS news articles and really don't understand TV using them as source. :)

I think they do :whistling:

Another statement in newspaper says opposite

Big jump in number of cases in Thailand

I noticed my head has been getting larger!

I think is from all the young, beautiful women asking me, 'where you go?'

Then following up with....

"I go with you." ??

While the increase is disturbing, 97 cases out of a population of 70 million is hardly a reason to run up the red flags on tourists coming to a tropical beach, who probably have similar odds of catching something sitting in their damp, cold, rainy homeland.  (It's that "at least 97" that gives me pause)

I suspect 100x as many tourists come home with one of the other STD's.  That doesn't seem to slow them down.

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

While the increase is disturbing, 97 cases out of a population of 70 million is hardly a reason to run up the red flags on tourists coming to a tropical beach, who probably have similar odds of catching something sitting in their damp, cold, rainy homeland.  (It's that "at least 97" that gives me pause)

I suspect 100x as many tourists come home with one of the other STD's.  That doesn't seem to slow them down.

I don't want to be a drama queen, but you do realize, that you can be infected without going to see a doctor . Its only people there has been in the hospitals is tested and properly very sick there is in the statistic. You have to calculate this factor in :)

If this mosquito has been biting 3 or 4 persons, as this type of mosquito does, then its 97*97*97 a bit more people and then new cult mosquito out there will bite again

Edited by carstenp
More comments

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK - The number of detected Zika infections in Thailand has jumped significantly this year compared to recent years.

The number of detected Zika infections in Thailand has jumped significantly this year compared to recent years. Between 2012 and 2015, an average of just five people were recorded as infected with the Zika virus each year.

But in the first six months of this year, at least 97 people in Thailand have been diagnosed with the disease. And over the past week, new infections have been detected in Chiang Mai, Chanthaburi, Phetchabun and Bung Kan provinces.

Full story: http://health.asiaone.com/health/health-news/big-jump-number-zika-cases-thailand

-- asiaone 2016-08-31

Several words worth noting in that press release

Big Jump

Detected

Diagnosed

New infections

These things tend to spread exponentially, the only way to stop it is either with a vaccine or to wipe out the insect that is spreading it, I'm not sure what value mosquitos are to the eco system (I suspect very little to none)  but it is time these disease spreading insects were wiped out, a few years back I thought they had developed a way of genetically altering the male or female so they could not reproduce and introducing these modified species into the wild to effectively eradicate them for good, surely that must outweigh the death toll, maybe big pharma are making too much money developing vaccines and would rather they remained, I wonder how many people have died from the disease these insects spread. I say if there is a way to eradicate them then they should be making every effort to do so.   

45 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Not to worry if you had a vasectomy!

No babies, no large heads!

Just a rash, possible fever for about 5 days.

In time that to will pass with all the hysteria.?

you do of course realise that without the ability to reproduce effectively you would not be here, you have a  rather selfish view on things don't you think, maybe if you had be born with a large head and little else inside but air you might have a different view on things ................................oh wait

12 minutes ago, carstenp said:

I don't want to be a drama queen, but you do realize, that you can be infected without going to see a doctor . Its only people there has been in the hospitals is tested and properly very sick there is in the statistic. You have to calculate this factor in 

If this mosquito has been biting 3 or 4 persons, as this type of mosquito does, then its 97*97*97 a bit more people and then new cult mosquito out there will bite again

True, but it’s a lot like terrorism.   You can get just as blown up in your local cafe in Paris as on a beach in Thailand. 

Zika seems to be making the rounds worldwide and the difference between staying home and enjoying your holiday don’t seem too onerous.  

2 in a million vs 1 in 2 million.  Hardly a criteria for selecting your destination.  Sensationalizing it doesn't keep anyone significantly safer, but it can have severe impact on the economic well being of a destination.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

True, but it’s a lot like terrorism.   You can get just as blown up in your local cafe in Paris as on a beach in Thailand. 

Zika seems to be making the rounds worldwide and the difference between staying home and enjoying your holiday don’t seem too onerous.  

2 in a million vs 1 in 2 million.  Hardly a criteria for selecting your destination.  Sensationalizing it doesn't keep anyone significantly safer, but it can have severe impact on the economic well being of a destination.

I get the point, but if a women there is pregnant want to go on a holiday, and know this Zika is down here. I think she will think twice before going on holiday in a place where Zika is.

5 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Lies, lies and more lies. Anything to protect the golden goose. 

The roads are safe, the police are honest, the taxi drivers are professional, the beaches are clean, there is no terrorism, there is no zika... Disgraceful.

with so much mobility zika virus   is very likely to cross  borders despite the best of preventive measures.the best safety is to stay vigilant and act in case any symptoms show up.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

We have noticed a big drop in the number of mosquitoes in our immediate area both in the house and outside since installing a 100 litre GUPPY FISH POND in a pot. The fish eat the mosquito larvae.

hqdefault.jpg

8 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I remember Thaksin's chicken cooking show on TV and when he lied to EU that there was no Chicken flu in Thailand, hope this is not a similar cover up.

"No heatwave in Thailand" (for the ludicrous reason that there are no deserts) during a heatwave; "No floods in Bangkok, just a water drainage delay" - they are the masters of (completely transparent and utterly stupid) cover-ups.

Rainy season - and a time when mosquitoes are likely to spread, yet the Disease Control Department dismiss a EU report on widespread Zika infection as inaccurate.

Back in January, we had Dr Wichan Pawan, from the Thai Health Ministry saying "But as this virus is spread by mosquitoes, I would say that, wherever there are mosquitoes, there's a possibility of this virus being found" http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-has-most-zika-cases-in-region

And, it is reported that in the first six months of this year, at least 97 people in Thailand have been diagnosed with the disease. In August, Chiang Mai's public health chief Dr Paisal Thanyawinichkul, said. "Because of mosquitoes, it's quite hard to eradicate Zika virus once and for all" http://health.asiaone.com/health/health-news/big-jump-number-zika-cases-thailand

mosquito swarm.jpg

Surely, DCD's  Dr Amnuay Kajeena is not being untruthful about this?

Edited by waldroj
Too many mosquitoes!

3 hours ago, Kabula said:

Microcephaly and Zika virus .. Educate yourself and do us all a favour 

3 hours ago, impulse said:

True, 97 isn't that many, if the number is true, but you must remember, not everyone seeks treatment, as the symptoms are similar to the flu, or common cold, so the number of people i fe ted is far more than those reported.

5 hours ago, Kabula said:

Zika causes new born babies to have small heads not large heads.

As more is learn't about this disease they are finding that in adults it may lead to brain damage.   

As an adult contracting it *could* result in you developing symptoms similar to dementia or alzheimers, far younger than you may develop them naturally.

I guess if you're already an old bloke then maybe you've got less to worry about.

5 hours ago, carstenp said:

I get the point, but if a women there is pregnant want to go on a holiday, and know this Zika is down here. I think she will think twice before going on holiday in a place where Zika is.

Zika is relatively harmless. This whole Zika thing is a total hoax designed to promote the buying of vaccines, larvicides, GM mosquito's and other chemicals through putting false fear into people and tricking gullible governments and ignorant health departments - it is the larvicide they use to disrupt the mosquito's growth that causes the microcephaly, not mosquito bites!!

Why is Brazil (fumigation with larvicides is heavy here) the only country out of all of those that has Zika outbreaks that suffer from an abnormally high incidence of MC? Go figure!!

Edited by lucky11

58 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Zika causes new born babies to have small heads not large heads.

As more is learn't about this disease they are finding that in adults it may lead to brain damage.   

As an adult contracting it *could* result in you developing symptoms similar to dementia or alzheimers, far younger than you may develop them naturally.

I guess if you're already an old bloke then maybe you've got less to worry about.

Correct, what you're talking about is Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), it will be interesting to see how many people develop this condition which can kill over the next couple of years.

I saw a Doctor being interviewed on TV some time ago in one of the Central American places where Zika has increased massively and he said the number of GBS patients he came across went from one per year to almost one per day, I think he was a neurologist.

7 hours ago, Kabula said:

And the chance of brain capacity reduction, long term memory loss and mobility problems, not things that pass with time, and like Malaria and Dengue, this "hysteria" is here to stay.

6 hours ago, Kabula said:

Where to start, where to start? 

It's hard to know where to start with all these ignorant statements piled up one on top the other.

First, the virus is in the ejaculate, not the sperm.  Whether or not you have had a vasectomy makes no difference, you can pass on the infection through unprotected sexual contact.

Large heads?  Can you even read?  Microcephaly causes small heads because the brain doesn't fully develop.  The result is a baby that needs constant care and if it lives the child and adult will also need constant care. 

Hysteria?  Thy taking care of a microcephaly baby and you will see what all the hysteria is about.  How many are you willing to take responsibility for?

Funny thing about infections, they don't just go away.  Polio was supposedly eradicated but there are still outbreaks almost every year - and there is a very, very effective vaccination for polio and a massively expensive worldwide program to administer that vaccine.  There is no vaccination for Zika so just why is it supposed to pass?

46 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Correct, what you're talking about is Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), it will be interesting to see how many people develop this condition which can kill over the next couple of years.

I saw a Doctor being interviewed on TV some time ago in one of the Central American places where Zika has increased massively and he said the number of GBS patients he came across went from one per year to almost one per day, I think he was a neurologist.

The scary thing is that whilst mosquito control programs (education to stop people leaving stagnant water everywhere, mass fumigation and other actions) have been ongoing in Singapore for probably decades, they still have a significant zika problem.    

If Singapore has a problem then I can only imagine what it will be like in Thailand.