Google Drive Sync draining bandwidth

goatfarmer

I have been having a daily struggle with TOT to fix my slow internet bandwidth: ping 500 to 800 ms and download speed as low as 0.5 Mbps. However, the culprit appears to be Google Drive syncing photos. I clicked the 'pause' option in the settings menu and normal bandwidth returned: ping 30 and download speeds around 8Mbps.

This became a chronic problem after electing to compress all of the photos on my Drive account. Google offers unlimited photo storage if you compress your photos to "High Quality". This has been going on for weeks. The solution appears to be: pause the syncing while using the internet. Let it sync at night.

You must have a lot of photos ?

maybe ( if google offers this )  you could  "compress your photos to "High Quality"  before syncing with google... also see if there is a way of limiting upload speed..if you max out your upload on ADSL it kills everything

Personally myself I would just buy a 2TB hard drive and sync to that instead.

Edited by johng

I had a couple of thousand, which is about ten years supply. I also keep them on a hard drive. But after the hard drive failed, last year, I prefer to use multiple options. Anyway, Google was offering this service for free and it seems like a good offer if it works!