Suvarnabhumi Airport - I Was Very Unimpressed

h5n1

check in very early on china airlines - woman would have let me walk away without my boarding passes. she was bordering on rude (contract worker, not ci employee).

airport not only does not collect fees included in ticket but from where i entered does not even have machines. so i had to queue with 20 people. one person working desk.

bookshops - few to none and none stock economist magazine, nor did i see the bkk post!

shops looked like every other airport, i was very bored and unimpressed immediately.

the airport is designed in a honeycomb sort of fashion of windows, these are sure to collect dust from day 1 and look dire in a year.

the toilets are hidden -really

there is nowhere to sit outside the prison like conditions of the gate.

when sitting at the gate, it is a dismal affair. overhead is a steel pass which is ribbed and when people drag their carryons across it it makes huge annoying noise - ceaselessly. the manner in which the gate is situated crowds everyone up front leaving huge waiting area to rear. someone thought they were clever ... trying to ensure that people would sit everywhere and when boarding would equate to smoother flow of people. pathetically, they did not account for human nature.

the place is lifeless, steel disaster that in no way compares to changyi or hkg. it is a complete boondoggle for which thailand did not need in the least.

getting to/from appears to continue to be problematic for most.

i REALLY hate the shops but if you look at my last posts i predicted this...maximum shopping, no sitting area despite a new design/airport. given current visa aituation i will look at flying from kl or pnh via sng next year.

up to you

Sorry to hear of you bad experience.

I have travelled through only once, but I feel that things are not quite as bad, plus I expect some improvements in coming months, don't forget, it is not finished yet!

The rudeness you experienced at China Airlines, should be reported by official complaint by letter, if an employee is rude to me, I ask for their name and time the incident.

I experienced the same wait to pay departure tax; but this will not be necessary in a few months.

I admit, I only found one bookshop, but it was well stocked, certainly with newspapers, but I usually buy all reading matter before I arrive at the airport.

I agree; that there are a lot of shops; I am not so interested in buying a Burberry or Rolex at Thailand duty-free prices either.

I agree the design is unusual; rather like a 1990's style English rave club.

The toilets, really are hidden, that will be improved in coming months.

I agree, seating airside is hopeless: see * below.

I agree, waiting at the gate is pathetic, ice cold stainless steel seating, a sharp dip in temperature and so badly lit, one cannot read a paperback book. Plus point: toilets nearby.

* Suggestions re. seating: enter a cafe/coffee shop and eat and/or drink very slowly.

OR buy access to a lounge for a little luxury. GBP 25 and free food and booze. See link below

Lounge in BKK airport

h5n1,

There are a couple of places where you can sit before going to your gate. There is a free THAI economy class lounge on Level 3, concourse B, near the intersection of concourses A,B,C,D. Last I checked, it is open to all passengers, regardless of which airline you are flying on, and has very comfortable cushioned seats. There are also a group of the standard airport seats on concourse A, level 4, also near the intersection of concourses A,B,C,D. Or do as Libya 115 suggested and head to your favorite cafe/coffee shop and buy something while you wait for your flight. The first time you use the airport and go to the gate area and then find there's nothing to do, you may be a bit put-off, but after the first time you should know the score, so it's not really a big deal IMHO. If the gate seating bothers you so much, just hold off going to the gate until it's time to board.

As to the layout of the seats and the gate entrance, I personally don't see what the problem is. Every single airport on the entire planet that I've ever seen has one or two doorways, and it is physically impossible to design a gate area where everyone can sit next to those doors. In all airports the seating nearest the gate usually fills up first. I don't see how Suvarnabhumi is any different and personally don't see the design as being done by someone thinking they were clever. It's just a frigging door and seating. All airports I've ever seen have the same problem of a long queue at the gate once boarding is announced where there are a large number of passengers wanting to get through the gate doors. Please explain how you consider the design to be pathetic as I really don't get it.

There are a couple of places where you can sit before going to your gate. There is a free THAI economy class lounge on Level 3, concourse B, near the intersection of concourses A,B,C,D. (...) it is open to all passengers (...)

In other words: I have to be a member of an internet forum, which has a section about the new airport to find out, where I can sit down at Suvarnabhumi? :o

The carseys are a bit grim, thats true.

Difficult to find a cuppa priced at anything like a normal level. Rip off.

well stocked, certainly with newspapers"

Photocopied foreign newspapers (is that legal).

Not the Nation or Post. Heaven's above, they'd have to sell those for THB 20. No way they'd do that. So they don't have a contract. I checked.

Edited by Barney_the_Dinosaur

I agree that the place is very minimalist and sterile, the ceiling looks like it has been removed, exposing AC pipes, rivets and bolts but this is just Thaksins idea of art nouveau.

It lacks imagination and there's nothing about the place to tell you you're in Thailand should you be a first timer upon arrival.

It's all about shopping at the end of the day, a shopping mall with it's own airport.

However, my arrivals since the opening have been a breeze.

I just arrived in Thailand a few days ago and passed through the new airport.

Both my wife and I were very very "unimpressed" with the architecture.

The "warehouse" look has been tried in a lot of places for far less money.

I thought the indirect lighting was too dim

And I noticed that cobwebs were beginning to gather on the homecomb ceiling plates above the immigration cue.

It was...just another airport design.

I was told that the Germans came up with the idea.

All the struts, metal columns and glass looked like something out of a past era.

We had to wait a lot longer to pass through immigration than we recall having to to wait at Don Muang. The line wasn't that long...maybe 20 people but they took a long time stamping everyones passport. But that's an immigration issue and not related to the design.

Dispite the long wait in the immigration line, Our luggage took a long time to arrive .

When we finally got out the first thing our greeting party said was "what took so long?"

Bring a jacket or jumper because on final departure gate temperture as mentioned previously is being air conditioned down very very low-certainly no more that 12/13 centigrade.

Maybe they will rectify this problem shortly.

hi all - seems to be much agreement and i dont want to rant. it is a matter of time before one finds all the small conveniences but what i am struck with is how unfriendly the place is - sterile was used. the design dated to...the 80s?

when i think of changyi airport - lots of sitting space -in fact sleeping area, free plasma tv, free internet everywhere, indoor and outdoor gardens - the list is endless and the airport is old.

so what was thailand thinking about when it built that monster? money. money and getting people in/out and thru shops.

shoeboat: i predicted this as the shops had grown @ dm to a point where passengers who paid b500 departure tax were sitting on the ground. you aer so correct - it could be airport anywhere save for the lamb statue in the middle of the 'shopping mall'

eggeefay: per cobwebs exactly, i noticed as well and these will never be cleaned -sure. what a poor design.

barney: many foreign publications are printed in .th and imported from abroad.

rajah: point WELL taken. i spent a good while walking about. just got bored with it all, found nowhere of serious quiet and comfort save for som nooks downstairs. and if you have to hunt - why bother.

soju: dm used to be really cheap even in depature area years ago. the we had to drop back and punt and eat in the employees mess, domestic side. no problem. the prices and quality of food is standard american fare/crap and the prices silly. also, i dont fly thai (anymore) and while ill get to know the airport better perhaps in future - i just go to the terminal and near the gate. im already up at 3am to catch the flight - lifes too complaicted at that hour.

my point: i simply do not know what the need was for and why a renovation could not have been done. finally, even for those in pattaya, the airport was a 'known' despite the new one being closer.

what we have now is: more hassle, unattractive, higher departure tax (coming), higher transport fees. not a win for a tourist so i am sure this is going to scare away every one that thai govt though new airport would attract -

my 2 baht worth

The rudeness you experienced at China Airlines, should be reported by official complaint by letter, if an employee is rude to me, I ask for their name and time the incident.

My 8 years in Thailand (22 years here overall, on and off) has taught me that complaints, whether official or in-the-moment only elicit one or more of the following from Thai folks:

1. they get offended

2. anger

3. mai pen rai

4. pretend to 'fix' it, but don't.

5. excuses upon excuses

6. saying, in effect, "if you don't have positive things to say, then leave."

The response we'd like is: look objectively at the issue, and not always framing it in 'farang vs Thai' perspective. We'd also like the objectivity to extend to just plain 'doing the right thing,' and not taking it as a personal affront to Thailand or Thai-ness or a commentary on Thai people/culture in general. Message to Thais: please don't be so thin-skinned and defensive and quick to anger. Look at the big picture: people are people all over the world. There are decent types and rude types everywhere. Let's work hand-in-hand to try and make our quality of life as reasonably pleasant as possible.

ok, I'm sure that's more than enough pontificating.

Photocopied foreign newspapers (is that legal).

Actually, just for the record, they're not photocopied foreign newspapers but printed out PDF downloads sent by the newspapers themselves. They're perfectly legal, as you need special permission from the papers themselves to get access to them, which includes distribution rights. And often these print-outs can be on the shelves in Thailand before they're in many shops in their home countries.

so i am sure this is going to scare away every one that thai govt though new airport would attract -

my 2 baht worth

Actually, the Thai govt decided to build the new airport because Don Muang was practically brim full to capacity, and it could no longer be expanded. Hence the need for the new airport. If this new airport can really scare away any tourist as you suggested, then I'd say you aren't really suited to come to Thailand. Believe it or not, there are even scarier things in Thailand than Suvarnabhumi airport. So save your fragile senstive little soul, and stay away from my country.

I'm 100% Thai, by the way. I know this new airport has some problems, but the new government's trying to get them fixed.

I think it is great...taxi to airport was swift via the tollway, check in to Thai Business class has its own dedicated area and private immigration clearance counter,no queues,no hassles, then straight down into the royal orchid lounge.Love it.

I love the new airport, cool, comfortable. Even when my flight was canceled it was ok because I was not already angry because of the heat. The steel chairs I think are very comfortable and when you first come in are perfect to sit on because they retain the cold air and you sit down and cool off very quickly pressed up against the cold steel. The lighting is like twilight.. and easy on the eyes.. The white noise from the air gives it a quiet almost tranquil environment. The way it’s cooled is energy efficient and works well. The only negative is that the fans way up on top of the building are supposed to come on to blow out the warm air when it gets to a certain temp.. Well they haven’t got that figured out yes or there is a problem because way up on top, in the observation lounge its oven central even at night.. But go down the escalator and your back in that cool space.

This is by far my favorite airport now.. If only for the lighting and the air con and white noise..

:o

Gota admit that the couple of times that I have used it (mostly early morning)just as the sun was coming up it looked...."Absolutely Fabulous"

Great design,well planned,easy layout and cracking lighting installation. :D

The downsides involving the Naff Toilets (bogs-cludgies) rip off restaurants,clatty shops,revolving doors and lifts that keep sticking and subjecting passengers to 40 minutes hard labour are minor problems and i am sure that in time will be resolved.

A visit to Changi is of course a pleasant experience but they have a lot of time and forethought to get it right.

In comparision my visit to Heathrow the other night with its traffic jams, and dingy,ancient and smelly settings and 50s architecture reminded of the poor guys who must have endured /ended up in the Black Hole of Calcutta.... :o

Suwanna WILL be OK....... :D ...song-sam-prung nee....... :D

Getting used to this monolith. Still not hugely impressed, but it works, however irritating and unsettling it is. Made the mistake of using one of the restaurant outlets - Mango Tree (I think?) - two fried rices, 1 Thai fishcakes, 1 iced coffee, 1 iced tea THB 780.00! Yikes.

Why are people using the price of tea or food in the airport's outlets as a weapon to attack it?

Surely it's up to the individual food stalls to determine their own pricing policy and I would imagine they would do no more than apply the fundamental laws of economics to their pricing - ie, charge as much as they can get away with to a captive audience. It has nothing to do with the airport.

Incidentally, I note that the well known chains (Burger King, Black Canyon Coffee etc) are charging exactly the same price at the airport as they do any other location around the country.

Why not blame the price of airtickets on the airport too?

It's the same principle.

OK You guys: This Airport has a thoroughly modern design, the principle behind which is: Hide nothing. That costs a lot more than hiding everything and imagining having to get this done with Thai workers... well... it's simply inconceivable. I just built a house and anything like that was a huge struggle.

Therefore, I will say that the design is very nice. I love raw concrete, big steel, the glass looks fantastic, all the engineering that went into this building is exposed. I think it also looks excellent. The cobwebs - well, so what? They will find a solution.

That said, there are severe usability issues which make this Airport a lot less pleasant than others:

- Too few toilets. I went to a men's stall in the GINORMOUS baggage pickup hall. There were a total of four piss stalls! And a long line of course. That's shocking, what were they thinking? It's not like this is the first airport ever constructed. I remember that the comparatively diminutive Airport restaurant in Vienna Airport alone has 20 stalls. 4 is just insanity.

- No free drinking water. Perhaps they removed them to take pressure off the toilets?

- No signs - it's totally unclear where to go most of the time. Again, the principles behind airport signage have all been solved over 20 years ago. It's a shocking omission. Just walk around Amsterdam Shipol for a day, jeez!

- Operational problems - why do I have to take the bus when there's about 20 gates on the main hub unused? I had to take the bus _twice!_. That makes no sense at all but most likely there's commercial reasons behind it, e.g. Thai hogging all gates. They shouldn't be allowed to. The airport is for people, not for Airlines.

- I find it confusing to see a lot of areas that are inaccessible from where I am. Has a bit of a glass prison.

- No sitting/relaxing space. A great lack of it, in fact. There was a nice food stall with about 5 or 6 different vendors - the only problem was, there were only about three tables for all those stalls.

- Space is allocated pretty inefficiently - there are very large hallways that are pretty empty. Cool. If it wasn't for some general areas that are absolutely packed with people and would need more space and more sitting areas.

I don't want to complain about shopping too much - I generally don't go to the "duty free" shops which tend to be more expensive than any shops outside the airport. And I found once nice cake/cafe and some OK food places, like S&P, S'bucks, said Cafe Tate. It's not world-class, but not bad.

All in all, better than some new airports (most notably Munich and Frankfurt which have a similar modern look are just design-disasters). But worse than others.

BTW if you want affordable water, go to Family Mart at the lowest level of the departure hall which is the arrivals area. Normal prices for everything.

Free wireless internet is also currently available but probably not for long, pm me for details.

Edited by nikster

I was pretty happy with it as compared to other major airports around the globe. Seems to me they should get some credit for how quickly they worked the bugs out. I have had way worse experiences in many airports.

I like the design and layout after getting used to it.

so i am sure this is going to scare away every one that thai govt though new airport would attract -

my 2 baht worth

Actually, the Thai govt decided to build the new airport because Don Muang was practically brim full to capacity, and it could no longer be expanded. Hence the need for the new airport. If this new airport can really scare away any tourist as you suggested, then I'd say you aren't really suited to come to Thailand. Believe it or not, there are even scarier things in Thailand than Suvarnabhumi airport. So save your fragile senstive little soul, and stay away from my country.

I'm 100% Thai, by the way. I know this new airport has some problems, but the new government's trying to get them fixed.

Good comment ThaiGoon. I'not used Suvarnabhumi yet, scheduled inbound 22 Dec, so I won't comment on it's facilities etc. But I have just been through Ninoy Aquino (Manila) and will say to the whiners you don't know what you are missing.

Imagine an airport where friends and relatives seeing you off are not allowed even into the terminal building. Just to enter the terminal you pass through a security check and then another security check complete with x-ray machine to get into the check-in area where there is only one set of toilets, four urinals and four Thomas F's, cleverly hidden down a twisting corridor marked airline staff only. A truly scruffy depressing check-in area with minimalistic information boards. Probably the slowest immigration section I have ever experienced, although I am told Havanna is worse. Another security check, x-ray machine, shoes and belt off jobby. I was amongst the first dozen or so in the check-in queue and from that moment to finally emerging air side took an hour and twenty minutes. How the people at the back end of the queue fared but there were staff from Etihad airlines running around the immigration hall fast tracking passengers. :D

I have read all the negative, and positive, comments regarding Suvarnabhumi but will judge it inbound 22 Dec and outbound 26 Dec and will make any comments after that. :o

When comparing Suvarnabhumi to Singapore, HK and even Narita, Suvarnabhumi comes up woefully short.

What astounded me the most is that with all the dud airports and great airports in the world they totally missed the plot. It would have been so simple to pattern the airport after Singapore or HK.

As pointed out by other posters the lack of toilets boggles the mind. I experienced this first hand when hunting for a place to relieving myself. I found a toilet.... just 2 urinals and 2 toilets :o The place was packed, smelly and dirty. All the things most people like to avoid when taking a whizz or a dump.

In my opinion, the waiting area at the gate is a joke. The area does not have the warmth of that I expected. Cold looking steel chairs in the seating area was not something I was looking forward to.

Food

The lower priced food area is at the end of one of the wings. This is somewhat acceptable as, presumably, their rent would be cheaper than one of the more prime locations. But I did feel like they were skimping on the seating, but that could have been my impression and not a fact.

Outside Design

The place looks great and I was impressed!

Shopping

Too much! I hope someone in the know can come on here and let us know the sales figures compared to other airports. I think that would be interesting. One big plus is that there is a Family Mart before you get to immigration. That is really nice as you can get your last snack. But if want something like a Cup O' Noodles, beware that seating in this area is extremely limited.

I read somewhere that people were comparing the opening to HK and that all new airports have glitches. My memory is not too good, but as I recall, the main problem with HK was the luggage distribution system. The problems with Suvarnabhumi seem to be design related rather than a problem with equipment.

Observation Deck

Big, spacious, bright, huge window.... no seats. When I was there, some of the airport staff had were sitting on the floor eating and chatting. At least some bleachers could have been installed to allow flyers to observe the take-offs and landings in comfort.

Overall, I am not sure how much can be improved. Toilets can be added, but realistically what else can be done? Will the steal seats be ripped out and replaced? Will the gate areas be totally redesigned to resemble something like HK with its wide open spaces that give you the feeling of being able to stretch your arms out and fly? Not bloody likely.

For the first time visitors to the new airport, do not expect too much and you will not be disappointed.

Surarnabhumi is just an airport and not a very impressive one at that.

TheWalkingMan

Why are people using the price of tea or food in the airport's outlets as a weapon to attack it?

Surely it's up to the individual food stalls to determine their own pricing policy and I would imagine they would do no more than apply the fundamental laws of economics to their pricing - ie, charge as much as they can get away with to a captive audience. It has nothing to do with the airport.

Incidentally, I note that the well known chains (Burger King, Black Canyon Coffee etc) are charging exactly the same price at the airport as they do any other location around the country.

Why not blame the price of airtickets on the airport too?

It's the same principle.

The price of very ordinary food outlets, (excluding the international chains you favour), is indeed part and parcel of the airport in which market forces have little or no effect, as there are no alternatives. Similarly the overpriced limousine services and the King Power cartel. You may want everyone to say only good things about the airport, or features related thereto, but my reason for writing was merely to point out an experience. In another thread I praised the taxi system, which I noted now runs very efficiently.

The price of very ordinary food outlets, (excluding the international chains you favour), is indeed part and parcel of the airport in which market forces have little or no effect, as there are no alternatives.

Huh?

In the few times I've been to the airport, ,I've seen dozens of food outlets - some international chains, some local chains, some one-man band organisations. By definition, they are competing with each other. Thus, market forces are very much in play.

As any classical economist will tell you, prices of goods and services are NOT set by the seller. They are set by a dynamic interplay of seller's desire, buyer's interest, alternatives etc.

The fact that food outlets are charging high prices tells me only one thing. The market can bear those high prices and a natural price equilibrium has been found.

If those prices were too high, ipso facto sales would drop and the vendors would need to reduce prices to meet their natural level.

It ain't rocket science.

I have used new airport twice this month on my way to and from Europe.After being a regular reader of this forum before my trip,I was not sure what to expect.On my first visit,we arrived very late at night,there were not a lot of other flights in,and most of the bays were empty,but we ended up at the far end of concourse A. It was a shock to discover we had to go down steep steel staircase with our hand luggage and wait in the humidity for a bus to take us to baggage hall.Very difficult for the elderly and those with young children who were offered no assistance from any employees.However we passed through immigration very quickly and our baggage was already waiting on the carousel when we arrived ,which was super fast.Therevwas a lot of confusion in the arrivals hall,no one seemed to be able to tell us how to get to Novotel.After a brief stopover we headed back to airport to resume our journey.It is indeed a huge structure,but seems to completely lack any soul or personality.Apart from couple of Thai statues just inside immigration it could be a concrete glass and steel building in any city of the world-I would love to see more of the Thai culture and personality on show .Even the staff in the numerous(and expensive) shops in the terminal appeared disinterested ,even bored-Quite different to the normal Thai friendliness and enthusiasm.My main complaint is the lack of seating,horrible hard steel seats,(when you are lucky enough to find any)scarcity of the toilets,which are very well hidden and poorly finished-many were out of order or had cheap broken fittings,and above all the huge distances you have to walk to reach your boarding gate.I have limited mobility and had to stop and rest many times before reaching the end gate on concourse C. On my return journey a couple of days ago,we actually pulled into a bay ,which was so far out it made taking the bus to the baggage hall a much more appealing idea! it was a very long poorly sign- posted walk from our gate to immigration.Baggage once again appeared very quickly-the amount of people in the arrivals hall is quite overwhelming after a long flight,but this time we headed straight for door 4 to pick up shuttle bus to novotel,and were in our room and showered less than an hour after landing!The next morning check in was very smooth,once again the long walk past numerous bored shop assistants and we foung burger king to sit in while we waited for our flight-much more comfortable seats than the hard steel .At no time do Thai inform you they have a lounge available to economy passengers.I am glad to have experienced the new airport,but because of the long distances and lack of facilities I dont think i will be in a hurry to go back-Changi gets my custom next time i fly

As any classical economist will tell you, prices of goods and services are NOT set by the seller. They are set by a dynamic interplay of seller's desire, buyer's interest, alternatives etc.

The fact that food outlets are charging high prices tells me only one thing. The market can bear those high prices and a natural price equilibrium has been found.

If those prices were too high, ipso facto sales would drop and the vendors would need to reduce prices to meet their natural level.

It ain't rocket science.

It's called a CARTEL: an agreement among two or more firms in the same industry to co-operate in fixing prices and/or carving up the market...particularly common when there is an OLIGOPOLY:

when a few firms dominate a market. Often they behave together as if they were a single monopoly...., or they may collude informally.

In any case, I was simply stating what it cost me for some items on a menu at a restuarant in the new airport. Whether THB780 is high for the items mentioned is of course up to individual means, and certainly in many major airports, of which Suvarnabhumi is one, these prices are on a par. Compared to prices in downtown Bangkok, they are highly inflated, and I've no doubt the differential is greater than say in London city, and a London airport. I did not have the choice of going back to downtown Bangkok, having checked in; I am merely making an observation about prices. If you see that as a criticism of the new airport, which you have repeatedly inferred you do not agree with, then so be it. Let's agree to differ, as I see from other threads you're like an attack dog on anyone who makes any criticism, (constructive or otherwise) of any aspect of the airport.

• 2 weeks later...
And I noticed that cobwebs were beginning to gather on the homecomb ceiling plates above the immigration cue.

Looks like somebody else noticed the cobwebs, too:

''I am sad. Two months have passed and [problems]remain the same. Nothing changes or improves. I order AoT to improve it in a week, especially cleanliness in the airport,'' Adm Bannawit said.

He gave the one-week deadline for the completion of tasks such as getting rid of cobwebs on the terminal ceiling and adding lights in the ground-floor space where luggage is sorted. He also complained about poor ventilation and insufficient toilets for staff.

Source: Bangkok Post, 13 December 2006

--

Maestro