Divorce documentation?

thaibeachlovers

From this forum I have learned that an uncontested divorce requires a translation of my passport. Is a translation provided by a lawyer sufficient, or does it have to be legalised in Chaeng Wattana ( I live near Chiang Mai )?

I need two witnesses to sign the written agreement ( the lawyer can do that ). Do they have to appear at the office? I know I don't have to have a lawyer at the office, but should I?

Are the photos just passport photos?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Girls at office can be the witnesses, too. No need to drag friends into this. Pretty straightforward. Officer recording the document asked me "Are you sure you want to do this?" I said "oooooh yeah..." (Hard to get tone and emphasis in print.)

Yes the passport has to be translated and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, otherwise it is not a legal document to be accepted by the amphur.

No need to spend on a lawyer if it's uncontested,.and yes the witnesses have to appear at the office otherwise they would'nt be witnessing much, would they....lol

The easiest way to get your passport done is take it to a translation shop and they will do and take for stamp and then post to your home address but the question is, is there a translation shop in Chang Mai that offers this service. Maybe if you got in touch with a Bangkok shop they might do it with an email copy???

HL 

I have just done this although I had a court order the first order was for a thirty day divorce I informed the wicked witch but of course she did not front so I then had to wait for the second letter from the court from settlement every copy has to be in duplicate no witnesses required as they use staff to do that it took about ninety minutes and the cost was 20 baht.

19 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Don't trust anyone but yourself or an interpreter to read that carefully before you sign

Don't trust anyone your partner has been able to talk with to interpret, even if a paid professional.

Thai rak Thai.

PP copy certified or not is generally up to if you have anything else formal that you needed a certified PP to be able to get. If you have a work permit, then most Amphurs should be happy to accept that because it has a perfectly valid spelling of your name in Thai in it

But then, that could differ depending on the colour of the day too :)