Survey: More US adults use marijuana, don't think it's risky 

webfact

12 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I find the smoke from each uniquely offensive.

Pot does not bother me, although I do not enjoy the high. Part of it is that the smokers are not puffing away constantly like cigarette smokers. I also really hate the stench of cigarettes. Marijuana, not so much.

My main reason for supporting legalization is that - IMO - no one has the right to tell me what I can do with my own body. It is simple really. I know all the counter arguments, but - to me - this is much more valid than any of them.

2 hours ago, wellred said:

There are several methods of consumption, of which smoking is one. 

It's also a proven anti-inflammatory and can be used to aid athletic performance recovery. Obviously one needs to be careful about how much they are consuming but the evidence is there. 

http://thirdmonk.net/lifestyle/cannabis-athletic-performance-recovery.html

I read your link and it is not exactly a legitimate medical website.

21 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Pot does not bother me, although I do not enjoy the high. Part of it is that the smokers are not puffing away constantly like cigarette smokers. I also really hate the stench of cigarettes. Marijuana, not so much.

My main reason for supporting legalization is that - IMO - no one has the right to tell me what I can do with my own body. It is simple really. I know all the counter arguments, but - to me - this is much more valid than any of them.

As I have mentioned, I live in a State where it has been legal20 months and we are learning still about the pros and cons of legslization.

One thing we have found is that laws are made to protect responsible members of society against the actions and poor choices made by the irresponsible members of society. I have no more interest in legislating what someone can or can't do in the privacy of their own home with alcohol/drug consumption than in what they choose to do in their own bedroom. 

But we have found legslization does have some downsides to the community and some laws are necessary to mitigate that...for me, the worst is are all the people who are choosing to operate motor vehicles while stoned. 

21 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

As I have mentioned, I live in a State where it has been legal 20 months and we are learning still about the pros and cons of legalization.

One thing we have found is that laws are made to protect responsible members of society against the actions and poor choices made by the irresponsible members of society. I have no more interest in legislating what someone can or can't do in the privacy of their own home with alcohol/drug consumption than in what they choose to do in their own bedroom. 

But we have found legslization does have some downsides to the community and some laws are necessary to mitigate that...for me, the worst is are all the people who are choosing to operate motor vehicles while stoned. 

16 hours ago, Credo said:

I think the thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that THC is a drug and reasonably potent one.   It will be helpful for some, not helpful for others.   Some people will have a great time on it, others, less so.  I have a friend who cannot tolerate caffeine.   So the morning cup that keeps many of ready to start the day, is a no-no for him.  

There will be an upsides and there will be downsides.   

I am for loosening of criminal penalties for its use because enforcement is very, very costly and unless there is something that shows there is a huge, drastic affect on society, it should not be a part of the criminal justice system.   

I think you will find that steps toward legalization will come at the cost of increased government and employer surveillance and loss of privacy, which will be upheld in the courts.  The government will claim that use by drivers and those who work in the transportation industry or around heavy machinery (etc., etc., etc.) is a threat to public safety while employers will claim that being under the influence in the workplace can not be tolerated.  You'll end up merely trading one niche in the criminal justice system for another.

All that said, government interference with the legitimate medical use of marijuana is unconscionable.

17 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I hate marijuana smokers. The smell of this filthy habit is much worse than cigarettes which I can tolerate. If you think smoking pot makes you cool and has health benefits, you need your head examined.

Your head can't be examined. It's a closed box.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:31 PM, ClutchClark said:

Not these new hybrid plants. They smell very strongly like pot. Stinky pot. 

No mistaking it for anything else even when the hippy smoking it reeks of clove cigarettes and their hippy abode stinks of frankincense.

Skunk weed did not come on that name accidentally.

I am impressed, Clutch, I didn't realize you were so knowledgeable about pot.   I bet you read really, really a lot of books about it to know so much!

Just now, Credo said:

I am impressed, Clutch, I didn't realize you were so knowledgeable about pot.   I bet you read really, really a lot of books about it to know so much!

I have not read any books on it but it has been a very hot topic in the News back in Colorado for more than a few years. For those that don't know, it was voted on by residents and made fully legal almost 2 years back. Besides, it is now a very lucrative industry in the State at all levels from growing it to processing it into other marketable items, etc.. It is making people rich. As a farmer, I briefly looked at the commercial aspects of turning an equipment barn on my property into a growing operation. There is even great money to be made in renting out warehouse space to those in the business but ai am too far east of the action which is centered along the Front Range.

Pot smells very strong and it actually does smell like skunk. Well, it smells much worse than real skunk. 

But your innueundo did not go over my head. Please do remember that CO has always had a strong pot culture...as John Denver wrote about it in Rocky Mountain High. I have friends that have smoked it for decades. Not fellow farmers but respected members of the community. 

33 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Pot smells very strong and it actually does smell like skunk. Well, it smells much worse than real skunk. 

Interesting that you find it so offensive. I really like the smell. It reminds me of hash which smells good to me also. It is similar to intense before it is lit.

Just now, Ulysses G. said:

Interesting that you find it so offensive. I really like the smell. It reminds me of hash which smells good to me also. It is similar to intense before it is lit.

There are a number of different strains and different odors. Some are very harsh. Some are not.

Next time you drive through CO stop at a dispensary. Its an interesting thing to experience.

7 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

It has been many years since I have smoked pot, but 30 years ago, I liked the smell. However, pot keeps getting stronger?

THC was 6-10 back in your heyday and it now averages 28-30 and it is not uncommmon to see 33-34 advertised in the newspaper. 

A joint would put many old hippies on their butt today.;)

On 9/2/2016 at 1:02 AM, ClutchClark said:

One thing we have found is that laws are made to protect responsible members of society against the actions and poor choices made by the irresponsible members of society.

Do you honestly think that's true? I think a lot of people might disagree, saying that many laws are made with little regard for protecting people, and are instead in place to protect businesses and their profits. Keeping specific to the topic, we all know that at one time hemp was invaluable to the progress of civilization, but once the DuPonts came along with nylon, and therefore a way to use millions of barrels of oil annually in its production, hemp and it's cousin marijuana were outlawed.

Many can clearly see that the big pharmaceutical companies continue to kill thousands of people yearly because they virtually run the FDA, yet laws aren't made to put an end to it. They can't make huge profits on cannabis, so they've used their (illegal?) law-given power to keep it demonized just in case all the empirical evidence showing that it really does have powerful and sometimes superior medicinal value proves true.  

Fortunately, more and more people are being given the choice to pop pills or intake cannabis. IMHO, laws that allow this are the ones that protect -- not the ones that prohibit. 

Edited by Inn Between

Crossing the road in Bangkok is risky, smoking dope will also carry risks. What we as a society need to decide though is whether we choose to make our own choices regarding personal risk, or whether we want government to make those decisions for us. Where does it end?

Psychologists have found that government attempts to remove risk from our lives is actually detrimental to our development, is essence we are being turned into a society of pussies. Pussies fed a diet of false news and hooked on reality TV, good for obedience, but devoid of objective reason.

Why do we resist religions trying to impose their beliefs on us, yet acquiesce to the dictates of bureaucrats and dodgy politicians?

For me, if the guy next door wants to smoke dope or ride a bike without a helmet that is entirely his business. Who am I to judge the road he chooses, what makes me right and him wrong?

4 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

It has been many years since I have smoked pot, but 30 years ago, I liked the smell. However, pot keeps getting stronger?

When I was younger and dabbled in pot, I also smoked some really strong stuff.   At least strong by standards of the day.   I wasn't much of an  aficionado because I tended to get quite paranoid.   I was immobile, but still paranoid.   About 4 years back I was at a party with some colleagues and one of the young Thai men was sort of known to be a bit of a dabbler.   I said, "I heard you smoke ganja."   He didn't say anything but asked for a cigarette.   He then emptied the tobacco out and pulled out a little baggie and filled it with weed.  

That stuff was so strong, I whizzed right by paranoia and landed in happy land.   I could barely find my way home, but I woke up in the morning feeling great!  

So yes, I would have to say it's stronger.   It's also not a good idea to sit in the middle when the joint is being passed back and forth.  

On 9/1/2016 at 4:56 PM, ClutchClark said:

The fastest growing part of the MJ economy in states where it has become legalized is MJ oil or various edible products. 

They are manufactured commercially and sold as a finished baked or candy product.

Come on guys, why does a redneck farmer of around 80 years who has never been a MJ user know so much more about this topic than any of you?

Answer: there are some real business opportunities in this Industry and CO has some major players just waiting to see how the Feds react to States decisions to legalize. 

In a few years these products will be sold by big tobacco and similar. 

Actually it prolly won't be legalized until the big companies have secured the distribution of the product. Home grown will prolly still be outlawed. Where there is a buck to make there is a way... except we will never benefit.

13 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Actually it prolly won't be legalized until the big companies have secured the distribution of the product. Home grown will prolly still be outlawed. Where there is a buck to make there is a way... except we will never benefit.

Big Tobacco and Big Pharma are waiting in the wings to see how the Feds respond. Same with Banks before offering loans.

Small homegrowers will become something of hobbyists not unlike someone with a homebrew set up in the basement...is my guess.

The small grower could lose their licence to grow commercially but posession will remain legal.

It has made some hillbilly hippy millionaires almost overnight in CO.

On 9/1/2016 at 0:46 PM, ClutchClark said:

That runs counter to scientific research about pot, said Dr. Wilson Compton, lead author of the study published online Wednesday by the journal Lancet Psychiatry.

"If anything, science has shown an increasing risk that we weren't as aware of years ago," said Compton, deputy director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Other research has increasingly linked marijuana use to mental impairment, and early, heavy use by people with certain genes to increased risk of developing psychosis, he noted.

------------

Well that is not good news but lawmakers are choosing pot for a new highly profitable revenue stream rather than the science and societies health interests...hmmm....isn't that the complaint about them keeping cigarettes and liquor legal? 

Clutch, I just knew this was going to be you :D I can just see you as Clint Eastwood in remade Gran Torino - the only change is that the neighbors are white. Everything else in the movie remains the same.

32 minutes ago, Neurath said:

Clutch, I just knew this was going to be you :D I can just see you as Clint Eastwood in remade Gran Torino - the only change is that the neighbors are white. Everything else in the movie remains the same.

I have some Hispanic neighbors. Its not all white. 

I was using marijuana, and all my friends, in London, almost every evening for 20 years.

Never did me (or any of us) any harm!

I did limit my cocaine intake though .... lots of people lost control with that.

Smoked a bit of opium, not so often though, great if it's rubbed into the skin of your joint.

LSD ...... once or twice, couldn't cope with that AT ALL.

Edited by MissAndry

52 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I have some Hispanic neighbors. Its not all white. 

Better get working on that wall and the deportation orders then. At least check their papers and keep em off your bloody lawn. And don' let em near that Torino - they'll just pimp it. You gotta treasure that. Never had myself a Torino - did have meself a 1973 Ford Mercury Montego 2 door in duck egg green with vinyl roof. What a beast. Turning circle of 50 yards.