Received warning at Ban Laem checkpoint; Alternatives?

14 hours ago, SEEDGER said:

Why don't you just get a visa! I don't understand you guys and the continually Tourist non sense! Apply for a Non Immigrant B visa and plop down about a grand and then no more hassle. Just border runs every 90 days. This was the least expensive way while I was over there in 2014-2015. And I'm from the US also.

Not very easy anymore.  In your home country you might get a one year non-B with just a business plan if you talk to BOI, or maybe not.  In surrounding countries no chance, you need a Thai company with thai 51 percent shareholder and to show payment of taxes for four staff for three months, then leave and get the non-B.  If you're suggesting that they should form a Thai company and not really employ four staff but only pay taxes for them, thats not legal and you shouldn't be suggesting it on here.  Amity treaty doesn't make any difference, that just means you don't need a Thai shareholder, you still need to employ four Thai's.  (Unless you're married to a Thai, but then you can get an O-Visa anyway).

6 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Nonsense? The UK has just voted for a recession over uncontrolled immigration. Is it now the case that the 'Big White Hunter' is allowed to enter and stay as long as he likes,regardless of the countries immigration policy? The only nonsense is that Thailand has let it happen for so long.

I don't remember there being a vote about a recession?

2 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

I don't remember there being a vote about a recession?

Brexit has caused a recession which is going to get worse over time.  Any possible (unlikely) benefit from Brexit is at least 10 years away, while the short term consequences are happening now.

2 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

Brexit has caused a recession which is going to get worse over time.  Any possible (unlikely) benefit from Brexit is at least 10 years away, while the short term consequences are happening now.

But we did not vote for a recession as "Ronuk" said - we voted to leave the EU, whilst one may be a consequence of the other, it was not as was previously stated.

Just now, muzmurray said:

But we did not vote for a recession as "Ronuk" said - we voted to leave the EU, whilst one may be a consequence of the other, it was not as was previously stated.

The "experts" who you were sick of told you that voting for Brexit would lead to a recession.  Turn's out they were right, so yeah sorry you voted for a recession if you voted for Brexit.

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Fascinating ! The emphasis as  usual is on how to avoid having to go home ! No detail on  why an individual  desires to continue  stay in Thailand and no evidence of any desire to actually  naturalize but seeking to extend  fatuous reason to linger.

So is it any surprise  Thai Immigration  has introduced elements  of notification in the absence  of reasonable  cause?

Perpetually  drunk  and  shagging is beyond the  capacity  of  beaurocratic acceptance now.

What do you know, you superior *****?

"avoid having to go home"?????  I AM home! I designed and built my house and a 20-rai farm, in the northern hills, beside a lake!... I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, and a tractor!... I am home! Where I was born is of no consequence!

"no desire to actually naturalize but seeking to extend fatuous reason to linger"

The concepts you subscribe to are your own affair;  and what do you know of anybody's reason for anything they do, apart from what your own mind produces?

"...reasonable cause"????
Living where I choose, without interference, is reasonable cause enough for me!

"Perpetually drunk and shagging"????
Personally I have 2 or 3 bottles of beer a week, usually after working on the farm all day in the sun... and I've been celibate for 9 years.

So, Mr Spock... what do you know about anybody?

What do you know about yourself?  I suggest you read your own words and ask yourself where they came from.

Fascinating!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JayBeeee said:

"avoid having to go home"?????  I AM home! I designed and built my house and a 20-rai farm, in the northern hills, beside a lake!... I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, and a tractor!... I am home! Where I was born is of no consequence!

"no desire to actually naturalize but seeking to extend fatuous reason to linger"

The concepts you subscribe to are your own affair;  and what do you know of anybody's reason for anything they do, apart from what your own mind produces?

Personally I have 2 or 3 bottles of beer a week, usually after working on the farm all day in the sun... and I've been celibate for 9 years.

What do you know about yourself?  I suggest you read your own words and ask yourself where they came from.

Fascinating!

Naughty, illegal work.  :-)

• Like 1

On 09/02/2016 at 0:04 PM, eskatonia said:

With that kind of inside information, you should be a very rich man (or woman) in about 10 years.

I'll be your friend!

You got the warning for using to many visa exempt entries. (30 day entries)

Fiest of all try going to a Thai consulate to get a Single Emtry Tourist Visa (SETV) from somewhere like Vientianne, Laos or Penang, Malaysia.

It will cost you $ 40 dollars U.S. and will get you a 60 day stay entry stamp on entry to Thailand.

You can then extnd that visa for another 30 days at your local immigration office, for 1900 Bht which will gibe you a total of 90 days stay.

Have you looked up a Retirement Visa which were for over 50's I was so relieved when I had one no more Visa Runs, online 90 day reporting you do have to deposit about $25,000 but every country has rules for foreigners the USA has a lot more rules at immigration. You sound like you want to stay in Thailand for long time periods so maybe this is an option? Rules do change so look up the current criteria for this Visa

Edited by AdamTheFarang

1 hour ago, AdamTheFarang said:

Have you looked up a Retirement Visa which were for over 50's I was so relieved when I had one no more Visa Runs, online 90 day reporting you do have to deposit about $25,000 but every country has rules for foreigners the USA has a lot more rules at immigration. You sound like you want to stay in Thailand for long time periods so maybe this is an option? Rules do change so look up the current criteria for this Visa

The rules to apply for an extension obtained at immigration is the same for all nationalities. Not sure where you heard it was different.

On 01/09/2016 at 10:12 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Fascinating ! The emphasis as  usual is on how to avoid having to go home ! No detail on  why an individual  desires to continue  stay in Thailand and no evidence of any desire to actually  naturalize but seeking to extend  fatuous reason to linger.

So is it any surprise  Thai Immigration  has introduced elements  of notification in the absence  of reasonable  cause?

Perpetually  drunk  and  shagging is beyond the  capacity  of  beaurocratic acceptance now.

It's great how people here live in their own little bubble of ignorance and tarnish the world with it.

I personally want to be naturalised as a Thai, I am doing my best to learn the language. The food, music and customs are all quite normal for me. I have been a Buddhist monk, and lived in a temple for over 6 years, even though I am a lay person, I am still very dedicated to Buddhist practise and spend a lot of time in my local temples. I get involved in nearly all the local festivals and events and really enjoy being part of the community.

If I get sent back to the country of my birth (which incidentally I come from an immigrant family so the customs there are also alien to me) I personally feel a great deal of stress as I am not allowed to practise my religion freely, get frequently called racist names (and not in the endearing way it is done here), I will be separated from my wife who has to look after her parents, I will lose a lot of very close friends and family. My place of birth has only some distant cousins left alive, so not much help there.

Before anyone starts complaining about the 'correct visa' a tourist visa is all I am eligible for, we have tried applying for many others and we get very apologetic responses from all the Embassies we have been to, but this is all I can get. I have also been told that without a considerable increase in my finances it will be pretty much impossible to ever be a Thai citizen.

A forum like this allows others who may also be in a similar position find ways to stay in our home, as for a lot of people this is our home.

Edited by chenposeb
  • Like 1

Take a long term look at what you are doing, if you are under 50 then TBH your options are limited (elite card), and even if you were over 50 are you in a position (with qualifying finance) to stay in Thailand, perhaps you should consider taking your lady to your home country and building up some finance that will sustain you and your lady long term, what you are doing now is patch work and is not going to work for much longer, and yes you could of course get married but does that solve everything - again it comes back to money

good luck and hope it works out 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chenposeb said:

...If I get sent back to the country of my birth (which incidentally I come from an immigrant family so the customs there are also alien to me) I personally feel a great deal of stress as I am not allowed to practise my religion freely, get frequently called racist names (and not in the endearing way it is done here), I will be separated from my wife who has to look after her parents, I will lose a lot of very close friends and family. ...

Is your wife Thai?  If so, you could get a 1-year Multiple-Entry Non-O in Savanakhet, Laos without showing any proof of income.  I believe this door is kept open for cases like yours - to prevent the separation of families. 

You would still have to leave every 90 days for a border-bounce (unless paying for extensions), but that should be much less expensive than longer, overnight trips for Tourist Visas, buying a new passport every ~2 years, and less scrutiny on re-entry. 

That visa also opens the door to legal employment, if/when a job providing a work-permit becomes available - either paid or volunteer.  As your visa / permission-to-stay is not tied to the job, you do not get "the boot" the day that it ends.  If you cannot afford at least the minimum for private insurance (~25,000 baht/yr), then the Thai-Health benefit, alone, would be worth trying to get some sort of work/volunteer option happening - for security / staying with your family in case of illness or accident.

On 9/2/2016 at 0:58 PM, JayBeeee said:

Fascinating!

Why not apply for a visa to support your Thai children?

:cheesy: Wonderful outrage.  But as  so often is  is  more reactionary than comprehending.

There  of  course many here in Thailand  who stay of will for whatever personal reason they have and in doing so do so legitimately abiding by and with the requirements.

For those that have exhausted legitimate ways to  meet those  requirements ?

Reverse  the situation a moment.

An individual who would  want to  enter your country of origin and stay indefinitely but has exhausted legitimate avenues too remain? Is the  Government of  that country  not correctly entitled to protect against indiscriminate invasion? If not why the  current global concern over refugees. Or overstayers? The  utopia of a borderless world is denied  by the  affluent.

My comments were directed towards those who come to Thailand and wish to stay for a  lifestyle and do so in defiance of legitimacy.

The current increased focus on the many who have done  so has also increased the difficulty for those  who are  here legitimately. And that holds  true even for those that may consider themselves permanent  after  many years but due to avoiding requirements find it necessary to keep looking over both shoulders.  I apologize for enraging some people who could not  see past the generalization  but I retract nothing from my opinion.

ps.  My wife and I have 1 daughter (recently  married), 1 dog, 3  cats, 2 houses, a successful business, farmland . Oh...and a tractor.

I drink frequently with local neighbours and occasionally with visiting non Thai. I am always aware that this is my annually  permitted home in Thailand but if push came to shove I have a house in my country of origin to which I can retreat.

I generally  avoid the asinine farang clique establishments because Thai bashing is unproductive  and boring.

I hope that  is not viewed as a subtle  farang bash ? :)

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

... The  utopia of a borderless world is denied  by the  affluent. ...

Agree with that point, but not your original generalizations.  The 'women and booze' lifestyle applies to those who are here short-term, and the affluent - both who have visa-options tailored to their needs.  People getting by on Tourist and Ed visas cannot afford that lifestyle.

The 'no desire to naturalize' is a strawman argument, because it is extremely difficult to do so (impossible if retired).  But even using 'naturalization' in the non-technical / legal sense, older folks do have an easy visa option, but in general (I would posit) are less likely to 'go native', and more likely to spend time with other expats (vs Thais) than younger people. 

And as I pointed out before, it is no way "fatuous" for most of us to live here, given the difference in cost-of-living vs quality-of-life, alone. 

Fortunately, we have not expended legal means to live here, as there is no legal limit on the use of Tourist Visas, Ed Visas, and Volunteer Visas.  We are, in fact, expending effort to be sure to comply with the laws in place.  This in no way harms your ability to stay on a Marriage Visa provided, of course, you don't do any of the farming-work without a work-visa.

Edited by JackThompson

My original generalisation was  originally intended  to  be  a pointed one. If I were to be suggesting that  all in general were here  for what I maybe harshly  nominated as fatuous then I would have  to include  myself. My intent was to comment on the number of those  who want to find a way  to circumnavigate legitimate criteria  to stay. Not those  who have as best as have complied.

Under the  current climate involving  IO scrutiny has become a priority and discretion has decreased. And so have the  number of people  appealing for any avenue.

Thus caps on perpetual back to back extensions  for tourist  visas are now applied with variations as to points of entry. Education visas,

Marriage and  retirement visas and extensions have  and are being scrutinized as well.

Much of this is to do with the  centralization of information which has previously  been absent in Thai systems. yes, Big Brother Thailand is  on the way propelled as  much  by  International expectations as  by a legitimate  desire by  Thai agencies.

That  may confuse the conceptions of those  who contradict themselves  with the criticism of systems and then appeal for the  abuse of.

It is that that is the focus of  my issue and the original compulsion for my comment.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of information in this thread, much of it contradictory! UbonJoe, I have a question regarding your comment:

On 9/1/2016 at 11:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

The 6 entry warning is from the main immigration database. It will not help to try another crossing. A new passport does not erase your records in immigration's database since they will link your passports.

This from a companies website that does the runs to Ban Laem that was updated on August 26th.

Source: http://www.thaivisaservice.com/

You probably would of been turned away or denied entry at Poi Pet.

You might be able to use a crossing that does not get a lot of border runners.  Or fly out and back.

Have you been getting 30 day extensions of your entries at immigration?

The thing is, I have been on merely transit visas for the past 6 months. The last time I was on an official Tourist visa was in January 2015 (nearly two years ago!). I spent the next 8 months in my home country. I am hoping that now I will be granted an official Tourist visa from Savannakhet or some other destination,  since it has been so long since I had one.

After that, my employer will be able to grant me a work permit in December.

If I fly out and back, do I have a good chance of obtaining a SETV or DETV? What would be the recommended Out and Back destinations?

Edited by jackspade

I do not think you have been using transit visas. I assume you have been using visa exempt entries. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You will not get a double entry tourist visa anywhere. They no longer exist. Whether you will receive an SETV from any consulate depends, in most places, mainly on their local rules. As a general rule of thumb, "friendly" consulates will usually provide you with an SETV if there are fewer than three prior visas in your current passport issued by them. Known friendly consulates are Vientiane, Savannakhet and Penang. Phnom Penh is usually regarded as friendly when using an agent, but IMHO not a completely safe bet if you have many SETVs in your passport from other locations. There are indications (unproven) that Yangon, Kota Bharu and Hong Kong are friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I do not think you have been using transit visas. I assume you have been using visa exempt entries. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You will not get a double entry tourist visa anywhere. They no longer exist. Whether you will receive an SETV from any consulate depends, in most places, mainly on their local rules. As a general rule of thumb, "friendly" consulates will usually provide you with an SETV if there are fewer than three prior visas in your current passport issued by them. Known friendly consulates are Vientiane, Savannakhet and Penang. Phnom Penh is usually regarded as friendly when using an agent, but IMHO not a completely safe bet if you have many SETVs in your passport from other locations. There are indications (unproven) that Yangon, Kota Bharu and Hong Kong are friendly.

Yes, visa exempt is probably what I've been using. It's the small, purple rectangular stamp. It has been nearly 2 years since I had a Tourist, and was then out of Thailand for 8 months, which is why I think chances are good I would be granted one in Savannakhet, as I have never been there.

Edited by jackspade