webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Seems like someone lost out and has spat the dummy as a result.

Srisuwan Janya has sour grapes because everybody is talking about the new icon of Bangkok built be a revered foreign architect while his name will never be remembered for anything. 

Will a back door be found?   It's ok there we gave him special permission to work from his home country so no Thai laws were Brocken.

Pardon me?   You say what?  Thailand likes to think it's laws can be enforced in other counties.

White devil,  White devil.   Ok so they have a few choices here.

1.  Knock it down and get a Thai to copy the original, (like that never happens)

2.  Let it stand abandoned like so many other projects half done here.  That'll fill  the investors with confidence.

3. find a back door (brown envelope) job done, but who pay's?  aahhh   falang white devil,,,,,, 

BTW  The Sydney Opera House was designed by a Danish man,  Jorn Utzon,   And it's an icon in the country,  Thailand needs to stop with it's in-ward looking crap and join this century.

3 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

Will a back door be found?   It's ok there we gave him special permission to work from his home country so no Thai laws were Brocken.

Pardon me?   You say what?  Thailand likes to think it's laws can be enforced in other counties.

White devil,  White devil.   Ok so they have a few choices here.

1.  Knock it down and get a Thai to copy the original, (like that never happens)

2.  Let it stand abandoned like so many other projects half done here.  That'll fill  the investors with confidence.

3. find a back door (brown envelope) job done, but who pay's?  aahhh   falang white devil,,,,,, 

BTW  The Sydney Opera House was designed by a Danish man,  Jorn Utzon,   And it's an icon in the country,  Thailand needs to stop with it's in-ward looking crap and join this century.

The building itself isn't illegal. The most they can do is levy a fine for hiring an illegal worker. The construction itself isn't faulty or illegal. Many countries around the world hire foreign architects because of the prestige they bring. The Thai activisit would complain if Picasso himself painted something and put it on a wall here or if Jesus turned water to wine.

37 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Ok let remove everything in Thailand designed my a Farang. You go out and collect everything the military has. You go collect all the police stuff. You go get all the computers and IT stuff. You go get all the cars. You go to the airport. Shut it down. You trains. Cellphones. 7/11. KFC. The malls. The BTS. Shut down the Thai cable TV satellite.

I think you missed the point of the news article which pertains to a foreigner doing a restricted job in Thailand. It has nothing to with invention, design or import of goods into the Kingdom - that is dealt with by customs and duties (of which this article is not related to at all).

If you're saying that Thais shouldn't use iPhones because they were designed in the US and produced in China, you're even more backwards than the labor law in question.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

That's nonsense.
The designer can work from home in Europe and create the plans.
The investor buys then only the blueprints.

With that logic, should, for example, not a single computer program run here.
All are designed by foreigners and are used in Thailand.

"With that logic, should, for example, not a single computer program run here." you're right, not a single computer program run here, here in Thailand we run only program copies. (So, they are Thai)

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This was discussed on the other thread.

Loads of farangs doing illegal work as accountants, lawyers and architects (among other occupations) with false job descriptions and titles on their work permits.

I would imagine this will prompt another crackdown that will affect many of us here. 

Again the net tightens on those nasty foreigners.

Can you see what is happening in Thailand yet?

Yes, it has become obvious and my wife and I are leaving in two weeks.  We'll see what the landscape looks like in 3-4 years.

So according to wiki the project was announced in 2009 and it is the tallest building in Bangkok yet nobody in the government or anywhere else seemed to notice the architect was German until just after the light show for it's inauguration a few days ago?  The guy complaining was probably oblivious to it's construction until they lit it up with pretty lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MahaNakhon

"Details on the MahaNakhon development were officially announced on 23 July 2009, with a team including German architect Ole Scheeren, former partner of the design firm Office for Metropolitan Architecture; joint-venture development partners including Thai company Pace Development, David Collins Studio based in London and multinational Industrial Buildings Corporation PLC."

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

The xenophobia reaches new height levels.

The reason they hired a foreign designer was probably because they wanted it to be properly designed.

....and built properly; the construction company is Bouygues-Thai (Bouygues is a French Construction and Project Management Company). I carried out an inspection in that building about 8 months ago, and most of the principle engineers are European.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

What were they supposed to do hire a Thai architect? They obviously knew that the only way to get this done was to hire a foreigner. So they went with one of the top designers in the world and bent the rules to do so. What are they going to do about it now, knock it down? 

And while they at it, knock down Suvarnabhumi airport also.

Architects: Werner Sobek, Matthias Schuler and Helmut Jahn

Thinking about it more it is just some idiot that filed a petition. It really doesn't matter. There are 21 billion reasons his petition will be ignored. Although they finally built something that is comparable to what is offered in HK, Dubai or London. 

The exact type of thing that may attract some high rollers. I have no idea if it will succeed but it is the closest thing Thailand has to compete for the Sheiks and tycoons. The most prestigious address ever built in Thailand isn't going to stop or delay because of the filings of one insignificant piss ant.

I seriously doubt that any part of the "Working of Aliens Act, B.E. 2551" was violated. The architect probably didn't even set foot in Thailand and the Act only governs work in Thailand. An architect working in Germany or the UK or Canada or anywhere outside Thailand doesn't require a Thai work permit.  I'm sure the developers paid a sizeable professional fee to an overseas architectural firm but the Act doesn't apply to such arrangements.  Mr. Srisuwan and his organisation are looking for a crime where none exists.

He's the guy that successfully shut down $9 billion worth of projects in Map Tha Put. He also needs donations to keep going. His former organization Stop Global Warming Thailand sent many letters to foreign owned business with threats and claims of breaking laws in Thailand and in the same envelope included a request for a donation to his organization. Now that's sounds illegal.

3 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

This is all such bs a British architect built my house and several well known resorts here. Much ado about sweet sod all other than to show the Thais in an increasingly xenophobic light which helps neither them nor their wished for investors. Grow the <deleted> up ..

Dear Sir, thank you telling us that your house was built by a British Architect. Normally must Farang do not tell us.

Because you are honest with us. We will not ask you to demolish the house. We will only ask for 50,000 baht as

a fine. Please pay by this Friday or we will start charging interest @ 15 percent.

thank you, for being stupid ( sorry I mean honest ) !

Some of you have at some time gone down to Penang,

and you would have noticed the tallest building there - the Komtar

It began construction in the late 70's

It was designed, by the rules, according to the original architect, to be 36 stories high.

Coffee money started rolling around, and the Architect found out the contsructors were now going to go to 48 floors.

He resigned, not wanting anything to do with the debarcle, which did eventually occur...

You can see reports via Google, but in 1983 a fire broke out in the unsanctioned levels, the 43rd floor.

The resultant damage destroyed floors, and it was brought down to about 25 floors.

Soon after this, construction recommenced, and by the mid/late 80's, the Komtar reached 52 floors

The last time I went to the top, the upper 4 levels at least were these massive open-space rooms, not attriums,

and boy, does that building sway!!!

Next time you are doing a Visa run, and walk through the afternoon shadows of that building while shopping... hmmmm

At least the Thai Consulate is a long way from the shadow.

Komtar wasn't the only tall building to succumb to bad construction, as yet another was brought down in 1980, before it fell down, along Jalan Kelawei area

The first Penang-Butterworth bridge, was designed and built by foreigners - South Korea, .

When one of it's spans fell into the Straits, they simply blamed North Korea for sabotaging it :facepalm: 

Investigations revealed the towers were built with Non-Seafaring concrete.

When that concrete story made the headlines, local engineers reported "it all okay, and will last for 25 years".

That Report was before 1990 (26 years ago)

For the Thai problem, it isn't really about who's name is on the design, but What Tea Money corners have been cut...