Central to build three more malls in Thailand, upgrade six existing malls

snoop1130

Central to build three more malls in Thailand, upgrade six existing malls

By Coconuts Bangkok

3100893640_a224407421_o.jpg

CentralWorld shopping mall. Photo: Pok/ Flickr

Mega mall company Central Pattana (CPN) has announced that the company is building three more Central shopping malls across Thailand and renovating four malls in Bangkok — including CentralWorld.

Since shopping and hanging at the mall are Thailand’s national pastimes, it comes as no surprise that by 2018, when the new malls are complete, CPN will own a total of 34 malls.

CentralPlazas are being built in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, Nakhon Ratchasima and Samut Sakhon provinces. Meanwhile, the existing “CentralFestival Phuket,” will get a major expansion and turned into an even bigger "Central Phuket.”

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/01/central-build-three-more-malls-thailand-upgrade-six-existing-malls

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-01

Well if I lived in Nakhon Nowhere a new mall would be most welcome. I remember when they completed the Central in Ubon. It was and still is the best thing Ubon has to offer. They are simply renovating malls in Bangkok so why not? They are already existing there and if they can improve them all the better.

6 minutes ago, trogers said:

I would give such malls another decade of life before e-commerce in Thailand kills them, as they are doing in the US.

That's a very good point.  I was talking to a 12 year old kid from Burma this morning and he mentioned that.  It doesn't take a brain trust to make money in Thailand only the same intelligence of the average 12 year old Burmese kid.  

11 minutes ago, trogers said:

I would give such malls another decade of life before e-commerce in Thailand kills them, as they are doing in the US.

I don't know in dusty little villages up country people need a cool place to hang out. Thais love hanging out in malls it seems. 

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Who does the shopping in these malls, most stores are not busy with customers, supermarkets and food courts being the exception.?

That the shops are empty is not directly the mall owner's problem, since he lives from the rents the shop owners pay. The problem start when the shop owners realize that you can only spend as much as you earn, and stop opening new shops that will generate no income.

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Who does the shopping in these malls, most stores are not busy with customers, supermarkets and food courts being the exception.?

I always find it strange- presumably as a foreigner- why are you concerned? Does this make a difference to you life and general well being?

Central is a vast company- presumably they know what they are doing .

I think this is good news- these malls will provide thousands of jobs- from the guys blowing whistles in the car parks, shop assistants , restaurants, small businesses setting up stalls, construction companies etc etc .

Anything that provides jobs- working in a safe environment cannot be a bad thing. 

43 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Central is a vast company- presumably they know what they are doing .

By far Thailand's biggest retailer, well on their way to the better part of $10 billion in sales this year, and privately held by some very clever people. Yes, I'd say they don't need anybody's concern.

Their Bangkok malls these days look largely aimed at the Asian tourist market, especially Chinese. 

55 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I always find it strange- presumably as a foreigner- why are you concerned? Does this make a difference to you life and general well being?

Some of us look around at the world and try to make sense of it.  When we see malls keep going up and no customers buying things, we wonder how this can be since it defies what most of us have ever known about business.  Perhaps there is something new to learn or maybe there's reason to be concerned.  

What goes on around us does make a difference sometimes.  If someone has moved half way across the world and started a life in Thailand, they might be interested in the economy going on around them.  Some may want to profit from the economy and some may need to protect their life savings from adverse economic happenings.  

For instance, if one were to see signs of a huge credit bubble happening, they may want to change certain aspects of their life, perhaps even including moving elsewhere so as to avoid the fallout of a bubble bursting.  

Are you suggesting that because we're foreigners that we passively just accept whatever comes our way?  We should ignore our own financial well being and-or safety because, hey, it's not our country?  

Some of us look around at the world and try to make sense of it.  When we see malls keep going up and no customers buying things, we wonder how this can be since it defies what most of us have ever known about business.  Perhaps there is something new to learn or maybe there's reason to be concerned.  

What goes on around us does make a difference sometimes.  If someone has moved half way across the world and started a life in Thailand, they might be interested in the economy going on around them.  Some may want to profit from the economy and some may need to protect their life savings from adverse economic happenings.  

For instance, if one were to see signs of a huge credit bubble happening, they may want to change certain aspects of their life, perhaps even including moving elsewhere so as to avoid the fallout of a bubble bursting.  

Are you suggesting that because we're foreigners that we passively just accept whatever comes our way?  We should ignore our own financial well being and-or safety because, hey, it's not our country?  

If you've been in one shopping centre, you've been in them mall...

Sent from my XT1572 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They built one here in Phitsanulok about 3 years ago and honestly, i don't know how the shops in the rented spaces survive. Didn't bring that much with it to be honest apart from the restaurants & fast food outlets. The only McD's in Phits if that is your want.

You can get most of the stuff on sale there in either Lotus, Big C or one of the two Makros here.

Edited by chrisinth
Additional line

4 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

That the shops are empty is not directly the mall owner's problem, since he lives from the rents the shop owners pay. The problem start when the shop owners realize that you can only spend as much as you earn, and stop opening new shops that will generate no income.

Central Embassy is a case in point: a bit like a mega Gaysorn Plaza but seems to have fallen short; already a significant turnover in stores, very few active shoppers, the usual crowds at lunchtime but even then the pickings are thin: no fast food outlets, no supermarket. While these stores operate on huge margin, tiny volume they have to make some sales to stay in business. I suspect that Central has had to lower rents or these places would be forced out .

I am starting to get that mauled over feeling. Are these really business edifices or a/c centres for the old and feeble to go when we have a heat wave. I went to the new Maya mall with much anticipation after it was built. I was confronted by false fronts saying "opening soon on this site" I could not find a TV or a mobile phone in the whole place. I stumbled past the over priced eye glass stores in amazement. Are banks financing these trophy temples where is the money coming from? Of course I ask myself that question every day when watching all the new vehicles flashing by. I guess I am just a child of the dirty thirties when a penny was a fortune. Now they cost more to make than they are worth. Its hard to fore sake these values today. Your a product of your raising. I don't mind lending banks money (for zero return) but I hate borrowing from the SBags.