LED down lights that can be dimmed?

sometimewoodworker

I've, so far, drawn a blank in every shop. All the LED downlight units I've found can't be dimmed. 

The only thing I've found is a down light designed for a standard CFL and dimmable bulbs, and while it could do the job it is nowhere as nice as a proper unit, it will also provide a ready access point for geckos and other vermin into the ceiling area.

so I'm looking for anyone who has an idea of how to get these in Thaiimage.jpegland 

something like this would be good

5 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Just a thought is Lazada, I recently struggled through loads of shops large and small and found zero specialized LED bulbs for my fittings but found them on Lazada delivered the next day for free

You must be better at searching on there than I am. I have tried but so far haven't been able to find anything on it. There are plenty of LED downlights but nothing that I can see that says any are dimmable or not, so I have to assume they aren't 

On 9/2/2016 at 8:42 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

You must be better at searching on there than I am. I have tried but so far haven't been able to find anything on it. There are plenty of LED downlights but nothing that I can see that says any are dimmable or not, so I have to assume they aren't 

Nope sorry, I couldn't find any either  just a suggestion as it's paid dividends for me recently

I've seen dimmable LED bulbs even at HomePro and Thai Watsadu.  However, they don't carry suitable dimmer switches for said bulbs.  I understand it's tricky to get the right type of dimmer, but where (specifically in the Pattaya area would be nice) does one find an LED dimmer switch?

On Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya and Jomtien, I've seen a few shops with large "LED" signs out front, would they be the place to start?  I'm going to do a condo renovation later this year and would like to install recessed, dimmable LED ceiling lights and am trying to stake out my options.

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I've seen dimmable LED bulbs even at HomePro and Thai Watsadu.  However, they don't carry suitable dimmer switches for said bulbs.  I understand it's tricky to get the right type of dimmer, but where (specifically in the Pattaya area would be nice) does one find an LED dimmer switch?

On Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya and Jomtien, I've seen a few shops with large "LED" signs out front, would they be the place to start?  I'm going to do a condo renovation later this year and would like to install recessed, dimmable LED ceiling lights and am trying to stake out my options.

Dimmable bulbs LED are not too difficult to find and Home Hub where I bought 2 different makes to try out have at least 6 different dimmers that work with them, they are marked as incandescent only but the cheapest at about 90baht works OK.

Finding downlight fittings for bulbs is also easy. 

But they are  designed for CFL units so have big openings into the ceiling space around the bulb, perfect for ventilation allowing heat to rise, but also for dust and creepy crawlies to drop down. 

That is why I'm looking for the style I posted. Easily available from China but not, it seems, here in Thailand :(

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• 9 months later...
On 09.09.2016 at 2:43 PM, Gary A said:

You will probably have to order them. AliExpress has a selection of dimmable lights and bulbs.

I have purchased quite some cheap stuff from AliExpress like anybody else I assume, including bulbs on one occasion...

but never never again will I venture in any kind of electrical related stuff like bulbs from AExpress as the quality is horrible, not to mention potention fire hazards....

On 23/06/2017 at 3:38 AM, observer90210 said:

I have purchased quite some cheap stuff from AliExpress like anybody else I assume, including bulbs on one occasion...

but never never again will I venture in any kind of electrical related stuff like bulbs from AExpress as the quality is horrible, not to mention potention fire hazards....

If you buy cheap stuff then that is exactly what you get "cheap stuff " in general the price reflects the quality.

The only problem with all aggregators of suppliers  from china is that they sell both quality products and cheap stuff. 

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you buy cheap stuff then that is exactly what you get "cheap stuff " in general the price reflects the quality.

The only problem with all aggregators of suppliers  from china is that they sell both quality products and cheap stuff. 

Four years ago, I bought four 12 volt three watt LED bulbs from AliExpress. I use one of them for a night light. It goes on when I go to bed and is turned off when I get up. Four years and still working. I have two two sealed batteries from an old UPS that died. I have two of those bulbs in sockets with clips to connect to those small old batteries. Three watts sounds very low but I am amazed at how much light they put out. My wife carries them around wherever  she wants light when the main power is off. Only my computer room is solar powered.

On the other hand, we added on a large living room. I had the wife buy 220 volt 10 watt LED bulbs, about a dozen of them for all the flush mount ceiling lights. They were bought here in Thailand. Four of them died the first month. They must have come from a defective lot because after about two years the rest of them are still working fine.