Jackie Chan awarded honorary Oscar

webfact

I recall about 20 years ago, wandering down a narrow street in Kowloon on a Sunday morning looking for somewhere to have breakfast, and was confronted by JC leaping out of the back of s furniture van, high kicking, onto foam mattresses. There were several takes, and I lined up my camera but his bruisers wouldn't permit a pic

I've never seen one of his movies so really can't comment on their quality,  but honorary oscar??  Nah.

34 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I recall about 20 years ago, wandering down a narrow street in Kowloon on a Sunday morning looking for somewhere to have breakfast, and was confronted by JC leaping out of the back of s furniture van, high kicking, onto foam mattresses. There were several takes, and I lined up my camera but his bruisers wouldn't permit a pic

I've never seen one of his movies so really can't comment on their quality,  but honorary oscar??  Nah.

What amazes me is how many people don't even know what an Honorary Oscar is for.

While they give them to actors who were unlucky enough not to win one despite numerous nominations, they are also awarded for other forms of contribution in cinema:

The honorary awards are intended to celebrate "extraordinary distinction in lifetime achievement, exceptional contributions to the state of motion picture arts and sciences, or for outstanding service to the Academy".

Jackie Chan's total box office is in the region of $4 billion, which is a measure of the global appeal of his movies,  and his career spans six decades, and still going.

It doesn't get much more exceptional than that!

He is a great entertainer with a long history of success. As stated, the "honorary oscar" doesn't mean he gets it for acting ability, but for other contributions. I remember an interview I saw him do some years ago where he was complaining that nobody took him seriously as a actor. He then went on to detail how everyone when they see him on the street jumps into a karate stance and shouts Jackie Chan!, and then he observed that nobody does that when they meet Robert De Niro, and he said they should also show him that type of respect. In effect, he was comparing himself with De Niro, which I found ridiculous.

Apart from that, he made many enjoyable movies, though would never qualify for an actual oscar.

27 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

He is a great entertainer with a long history of success. As stated, the "honorary oscar" doesn't mean he gets it for acting ability, but for other contributions. I remember an interview I saw him do some years ago where he was complaining that nobody took him seriously as a actor. He then went on to detail how everyone when they see him on the street jumps into a karate stance and shouts Jackie Chan!, and then he observed that nobody does that when they meet Robert De Niro, and he said they should also show him that type of respect. In effect, he was comparing himself with De Niro, which I found ridiculous.

Apart from that, he made many enjoyable movies, though would never qualify for an actual oscar.

There are lots of different oscars.

10 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Next up: a lifetime achievement award for Jim Carrey.

When people cross paths on the streets with DeNiro many of them say to him "you talkin' to ME?"  DeNiro hates it.  So much for Mr Chan's claim.  It's not like he's a dramatic actor anyway.  I think this special award has something to do with the Academy's accused lack of diversity, that a bunch of actors complained about earlier this year.  I'm waiting for someone like Will Smith to say "hey, I didn't mean THEM!  I was talking about ME!"  Also the announcement is timely in that Chan has new movie out in the US.

But back to DeNiro.  There was a Rocky & Bullwinkle movie about ten years ago where he busts out with a self-parody of his famous mirror scene.  Might be worth sitting through the movie just for that.  Well, also Renee Russo doing Natasha, she has the scowl and the voice down to perfection.

Edited by bendejo

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Next up: a lifetime achievement award for Jim Carrey.

When people cross paths on the streets with DeNiro many of them say to him "you talkin' to ME?"  DeNiro hates it.  So much for Mr Chan's claim.  It's not like he's a dramatic actor anyway.  I think this special award has something to do with the Academy's accused lack of diversity, that a bunch of actors complained about earlier this year.  I'm waiting for someone like Will Smith to say "hey, I didn't mean THEM!  I was talking about ME!"  Also the announcement is timely in that Chan has new movie out in the US.

But back to DeNiro.  There was a Rocky & Bullwinkle movie about ten years ago where he busts out with a self-parody of his famous mirror scene.  Might be worth sitting through the movie just for that.  Well, also Renee Russo doing Natasha, she has the scowl and the voice down to perfection.

Yeah, agreed though DeNiro is one of the greatest actors and stars, he is notoriously difficult in public appearances, and well known as one of the most difficult and uncommunicative guests to have on late night talk shows. Recently, maybe mellowing with age, he has been commenting on all the people doing impressions of him and rating them. He rates Alec Baldwin the best impression. Jimmy Fallon seems to be able to draw him out. Another nasty interview personality is Harrison Ford, who unlike DeNiro, is stuck-up just for being a huge star, but not for his acting talents.

Jackie Chan is certainly not a dramatic actor of any large caliber, but is a great movie star and his influence has been huge on cinema, so, kinda like Sylvester Stallone deserves some accolades, even if his acting is second rate.

To the Chinese he was a hero in himself ...not often do you get the macho types combine himself with humour ...he made many Chinese laugh and had a great family time together and these were in the days when China was still largely a third world country

People lined up annually to watch his movies normally launched during the Chinese New Year as it was the highlight

The end credits which shows you the ones where he got injured etc are all examples of a great actor he was in the days minus the CGI BS

Watch some of his earlier movies , like drunken master etc ...compared to the fat asses I see in Pattaya when they are drunk :) this one is a real master !

- plus point for me his Son got jail time for drug Offences and dad didn't come out and try to rescue him , just an apology for not teaching his Son better . That's classy

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect