Work Permit as a "consultant" for a thai restaurant

Hi all,

just a curiosity, as i was reading some threads which described this legal work around or whatever you want to call it, to get a WP by using this title, does anyone knows the feasibility or some real life example for it, apart from engineering/architecture's jobs.....

4 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

do you have a degree in cooking consultancy ??

It doesn't seem that the architects working as "consultants" had a degree in "consultancy", this is not regarding my particular situation, but as i wrote, just a curiosity, also, for some jobs doesn't seems that holding a degree for that specific field it's really required, sometime a degree it's not even required for that matter.

Whatever you claim the position is in you'll still have to prove your have a degree and sufficient experience.  Do you have any skills which a restaurant could actually use as a consultant?  if not then you will have a hard time getting the ministry of labour to approve a work permit.  Everything has got much harder in the last two years and the current administration is being very strict on visas and work permits.

8 hours ago, eskatonia said:

Whatever you claim the position is in you'll still have to prove your have a degree and sufficient experience.  Do you have any skills which a restaurant could actually use as a consultant?  if not then you will have a hard time getting the ministry of labour to approve a work permit.  Everything has got much harder in the last two years and the current administration is being very strict on visas and work permits.

that would be very new to me that it is compulsory to have a degree to obtain a work permit, unless you want to work as a teacher or similar. I know many people working legally in real estates, for example, who don't have a degree but got a work permit

• Like 1

Forget consultant. Go for either Business Development Manager or General Manager. Those two job roles are readily accepted for work permits. 

You do not need a degree to get a work permit in a restaurant, however if you don't have a degree you need suitable and appropriate skills for the job description. 

The fact that a degree was not a compulsory requirement for many activities, it's something of common knowledge, there could however be a whole thread to discuss the absurdity of holding a title which has absolutely nothing to do with the job it will be used for....anyway, i seems to remember that there was some sorts of financial requirement for the businesses hiring an alien, but i can't confirm 100%, if that was the case, it would deter many businesses from hiring, as the classic "holes in the wall" which notoriously don't have great resources at hand....

Can anyone more up to date than me either confirm or deny this?