Cartoon with quake victims under lasagna angers Italians

rooster59

Cartoon with quake victims under lasagna angers Italians

ROME (AP) — A French satirical weekly's cartoon depicting victims of last week's earthquake in Italy under layers of lasagna has angered some in the country.

The Italian news agency ANSA quoted the mayor of Amatrice, the hardest-hit town where more than 230 bodies were found after the Aug. 24 quake, as calling the cartoon in CharlieHebdo magazine "tasteless and embarrassing." Mayor Sergio Pirozzi said on Friday while he welcomes irony, it shouldn't come at the expense of the dead. He added that he is sure the cartoon doesn't reflect the true feelings of the French people.

The quake in the central Apennines Mountain region claimed nearly 300 lives, injured hundreds of people and left thousands of residents homeless when several towns and hamlets were devastated.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-03

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I am assuming the Italians will be bombing the headquarters in retaliation?

And if some French did, I'm quite sure TVF would not light up with accusations of guilt against all 67 million Frenchmen. (Or French women for that matter).

Edited by GuestHouse

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's offensive.

But they have a right to publish it and people have a right to complain about it.

Life goes on. 

Yes, it is offensive. Plus it serves no purpose whatsoever, thus is just offensive to be offensive.

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But that's part of what many of us value as freedom in liberal democracies. 

Yes, freedom of speech is just great until you are the victim and the one suffering on the end of the worst examples of it. As far as cartoons go, Mohammed is an millennium old character and has no grieving relatives hanging around,  and only last week many Italian families had sons, daughters, mothers and fathers squashed to unrecognisable pulp under hundreds of tons of cement and rubble. I am sure they see the funny side of the loved ones they just buried depicted under tons of pasta. Boy their ribs must be aching. :rolleyes: :coffee1:

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility. If the artist/newspaper concerned did not consider that what they were publishing so soon after the event would not cause untold grief to the already still grieving then they do not deserve the freedom that others died for to give them. The bodies are just cold for goodness sake.

49 minutes ago, bannork said:

I'm going to print a T shirt with ' I am not Charlie' after this very tasteless cartoon.

Good idea. 

That's the marketplace of free expression in action.

They can publish offensive stuff like that, but they have to accept the consequences.

That is, within legality.

Shooting up their offices is too much.