puukao

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Not to mention not understanding the difference between satire and humour!

And not understanding the difference between satire and trolling.

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. - Google

2 minutes ago, rijb said:

And not understanding the difference between satire and trolling.

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. - Google

You're way too late I'm afraid, you needed to understand that earlier and quoting an uncredited quote (!) from Google doesn't strengthen your case one iota.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

And continuing your push in the wrong direction you now post a racial slur, against forum rules, more importantly you've become mean spirited, why is that! The OP raises a point that is worth debating academically, why spoil it.

I did not take his post in the way you did at all.

He was providing a reason some old timers are angry.

I am angry about this myself.

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

I did not take his post in the way you did at all.

He was providing a reason some old timers are angry.

I am angry about this myself.

It's a vague after the fact link, I don't believe for one second that was the intent at the outset.

11 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You're way too late I'm afraid, you needed to understand that earlier and quoting an uncredited quote (!) from Google doesn't strengthen your case one iota.

If you weren't so bitter you would realize I'm playing with you.  Don't you understand humor/humour?

BTW:  Google provides definitions.  Credit goes to Google.

I'm not. I haven't seen much of this behavior. I wouldn't call them "bitter", but rather just nasty human beings. I don't think age has made them this way. I suspect they've always been like this. Sadly, the few times I've seen such bad behavior, the men have been British. I'm not saying all British men in Thailand are like this, just an observation. 

As an aside, I think there is something a little odd in all us expats. Not bad just different. Not sure what....

1 minute ago, rijb said:

If you weren't so bitter you would realize I'm playing with you.  Don't you understand humor/humour?

BTW:  Google provides definitions.  Credit goes to Google.

Well go play with somebody else, I'm not interested.

16 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

And continuing your push in the wrong direction you now post a racial slur, against forum rules, more importantly you've become mean spirited, why is that! The OP raises a point that is worth debating academically, why spoil it.

Racial slurs are a stock in trade with this one.

Must be "beer-thirty" already.

1 minute ago, ddavidovsky said:

The stereotype is that the elderly get genial and soft - like Godfrey in Dad's Army.

Victor Meldrew - One Foot in the Grave

Basil Fawlty - Fawlty Towers.

Captain Mainwaring - Dad's Army

All show a different and grumpy 'old man' stereotype

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

And that's the other thing, Americans don't do satire and I could never understand that, they think that everything is serious unless it's qualified as a joke either before or afterwards.

What?  Even more superiority/elitism?

British can do satire...Americans can not understand satirical humor?

So...what we have here is the "Looking down their noses at us" from the Brits...once again.

Where is that poster that said Americans feel Superior???

1 minute ago, MissAndry said:

Add:

Albert Steptoe  and Alf Garnet, the picture in my head is that the OP is referring to the "Albert" model although it will likely be different for each of us.

Just now, slipperylobster said:

What?  Even more superiority/elitism?

British can do satire...Americans can not understand satirical humor?

So...what we have here is the "Looking down their noses at us" from the Brits...once again.

Where is that poster that said Americans feel Superior???

We've done that loop SL, go read the rest of the thread to understand context!

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I've seen that first hand, country music just gets to people, I think Americans must be given something at birth that allows them to tolerate it and then actually get to like it, strange. :cheesy:

you'd be surprised how many Tchermans, old folks like me and youngsters, love country music.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

you'd be surprised how many Tchermans, old folks like me and youngsters, love country music.

You see, you've lived in the US too long, it's rubbed off! I lived there for almost fifteen years but I took the antidote everyday, heavy doses of AC/DC, Zeppelin and Aerosmith, it's very effective treatment. :gigglem:

21 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Basil Fawlty? John Cleese was in his late 30s when he played him. Hardly an example of an 'old man'.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

There's a rule with U.S. Social Security retirement pension that a divorced spouse can receive a monthly pension worth 50% of the value of the ex-spouse's pension if the marriage lasted for at least 10 years.  Receiving the "divorced spouse pension" doesn't affect the amount of the ex-spouses pension.  All that a divorced spouse needs to have to apply is details of their divorce decree and the ex-spouses full name and Social Security number.

It's not uncommon for divorced women to apply for this pension, but many men don't think to do so.  After some pushing and prodding, I encouraged two men who had worked their lives in jobs where they didn't pay into Social Security, but their wives did to apply for the divorced-spouse pension.  It's amazing how prideful these guys were about not wanting to apply, even though their ex- didn't even have to know they were receiving the pension.  It's just "found money" and an example of one situation where divorced men are treated the same as divorced women.

I can assure you that would never happen with  Centrelink  in Australia. Different rules entirely. Possibly the weirdest is that you can live in a multi-million dollar house, and still qualify for a full age pension, as the family home is exempted from the assets test.

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I know it's only Monday; but that is the most ignorant statement I've read all week.  You ever hear of Orwell, Bradbury, Huxley, Twain, or Vonnegut?  Or maybe you have owned a television and watched South Park, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, or even Green Acres?  You may be eating shepherd's pie, but you're talking pure cow pie. 

Er - Orwell ( real name Eric Blair )  and Aldous Huxley were British.

3 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Your life sounds great ..... but I would like to point out a normal sex life for a 75 year old British male would be NONE AT ALL (with another person in the room anyway).

I guess Australians must be different. I play golf with a 79 yo American who still gets it on regularly with his GF. Mind you, she is a honey.

But that's true of a lot of Thai women.

2 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

I guess Australians must be different. I play golf with a 79 yo American who still gets it on regularly with his GF. Mind you, she is a honey. But that's true of a lot of Thai women.

Normal Australian men live in Australia with Australian women. Once a man is out of his home country and living with a foreign woman (half his age?) you are waaaaay beyond normal.

Edited by MissAndry

14 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Normal Australian men live in Australia with Australian women. Once a man is out of his home country and living with a foreign woman (half his age?) you are waaaaay beyond normal.

Completely agree.:D. What's so great about being normal?

5 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

well...my favorite was the Cherry Bombs..."How do you kiss the one who chewed your hass out all day long".   

(real song mods)

It is satirical....so even brits would enjoy it.  So you would think !

Edited by slipperylobster

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

You see, you've lived in the US too long, it's rubbed off! I lived there for almost fifteen years but I took the antidote everyday, heavy doses of AC/DC, Zeppelin and Aerosmith, it's very effective treatment. :gigglem:

wrong! my generation grew up in Germany with country music (all variations) broadcasted by AFN - American Forces Network Europe.

AC/DC, Zeppelin and Aerosmith

= :coffee1:

51 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

me same same but different. normal Tcherman men live in Germany with German women. i live with a foreign woman (whom i married 36 years and 10 months ago) neither in my nor in her home country. and no, she is not half my age :P