Remote Control Big Boys Toys in Thailand.

kellio

I decided introduce this broad topic as a result of not being able to find much information on buying and using RC products in Thailand and particularly around Pattaya.

I've been flying RC planes (And a couple of Drones) for around 3 years in Australia but since I'm spending more and more time in Thailand, decided to bring a couple with me on my current visit which I'll leave here.

However, finding people who share the interest and where to buy new models or parts here in Thailand has proved to be difficult.

While there are quite a few shops in Bangkok, if speaking Thai is not your best skill, communicating with sales personnel (Particularly on the phone) is almost impossible.
There are couple of hobby shops here in Pattaya but they tend to cater for the lower end of the demand in that most of their stock would only be considered toys rather than serious RC models.

I tried to buy a 2200mah 4s lipo battery here and was looked at as though I was mad. I tried in 3 different shops and none of them was willing to even order one for me although I offered to leave a substantial deposit.

Someone later told me that no one in Thailand stocks that particular battery so I tried again for 3000mah 4s and received the same reception.

Since the carrying of lipo batteries on passenger flights was banned worldwide earlier this year, I no longer have the option to bring batteries with me without risk of breaching International law which would prove very expensive indeed....not to mention putting lives in jeopardy which I would never consider doing anyway but I used to bring them in quite regularly before the ban came into effect..

I guess they have their reasons for creating the ban and those of us who have been using such batteries will be well aware of the dangers of them catching on fire but to my knowledge and experience, this only happens when they are on the charger and is usually the result of human error in not having the correct setting selected on the charger itself.

Nonetheless, the inability to buy them locally is frustrating and because they now need to be flown in (Usually from China) by commercial aircraft rather than passenger, it adds quite a lot to the price.

And...it's not only batteries which are hard to get, it's spare parts and building material as well.

In addition, I know of only 2 places where enthusiasts meet and fly here in Pattaya. One of them is near the Elephant village and the other is near the indoor stadium on Chaiyaphruek 2 Road.

If anyone else is interested in RC flying, boating, cars or anything related, please add to this topic so we can share our passion for it.

Look out for the R/C Action magazine, should be easy to find in any bookshop or decent newstand. it's full of ads that should point you to a shop with what you need.
There's also R/C Flying, but obviously it's only focused on flying stuff, the other one covers the whole range of R/C vehicles.

By the way, unless they released new regulations that I'm not aware of you can carry LiPo batteries on a plane as long as it is in your carry-on luggage and they don't exceed 100Wh total capacity. Of course you should discharge them to a storage voltage level and place them inside a fireproof bag.

• 4 weeks later...

I buy most of my R/C supplies from hobbyking.com. They sell LiPo batteries to Thailand by shipping FedEx who will accept batteries.

A bit expensive but is the only solution I found.

However, when looking for small stuff (I am currently looking for pinned hinges) a local shop will help solve delivery times and costs.