The 90 Day Requirement

Thai Immigration get brand new computer system

Now that immigration has or will shortly get that beautiful big server in BKK, would it not be nice if we were allowed to make our 90 day reports by email or by logging in to a site to do so?. Think of all the trouble and expenses that would saved for everyone concerned inclduing of course the Immigration Department.

Idea: The first time the farang must visit in person, at which time he provides the email adress that he will be sending from and he is given a password. He is then able to register every 90 days by loggin in to a site and filling out a form. No attachments allowed for security reasons. The Immigration Office that is responsible then emails out a 90 day voucher which must be printed and posted in the farangs passport. The money saved by Immigration in using such a system could be used to spot check on some indiciduals on a periodic basis. Hotel copuld link to the system to log in visitors along with resort where a Frang stays more than 90 days. :o

Thai Immigration get brand new computer system

Now that immigration has or will shortly get that beautiful big server in BKK, would it not be nice if we were allowed to make our 90 day reports by email or by logging in to a site to do so?. Think of all the trouble and expenses that would saved for everyone concerned inclduing of course the Immigration Department.

Idea: The first time the farang must visit in person, at which time he provides the email adress that he will be sending from and he is given a password. He is then able to register every 90 days by loggin in to a site and filling out a form. No attachments allowed for security reasons. The Immigration Office that is responsible then emails out a 90 day voucher which must be printed and posted in the farangs passport. The money saved by Immigration in using such a system could be used to spot check on some indiciduals on a periodic basis. Hotel copuld link to the system to log in visitors along with resort where a Frang stays more than 90 days. :o

It'd just be too easy that way Mouse. We couldn't have that now, could we? :D

If I recall correctly someone mentioned a few months ago (maybe six?) that Pattaya was going to have 90 day reporting by internet soon. So perhaps it is really on the (or at least a) drawing board. I agree that it would be a great idea and they could even have a reminder sent so you don't forget.

As I understand it, even though I have a non-B and a WP, I still have to go to the border every 90 days, which most farang I know think is a right pain in the arse. If working farang (those bringing clean money and trade to Thailand) were really 'welcome assets to the country' (or whatever was said in the post about the new computer system), shouldn't we be able to simply report to our nearest Immigration office, and not be forced to make a lumbaak journey to the border every 90 days. From my experiences setting up my Thai business and obtaining all the paperwork etc, I can't see much hospitality (isn't that what Thailand is supposed to be famous for?) in the 'intentions' of Thai immigration/business law. Sometimes it just feels like I'm being held at arms length and milked. So - I'd be surprised if on-line reporting was approved. I think they've still got a lot of explaining to do before I'm convinced that the intentions of Thai law with respect to working farang are truly fair and reasonable. I will post more specific questions in seperate threads when I have more time.

Regarding tourist visas - I've spoken to lots of farang and lots of Thais about this, and nobody can explain (rationally) why it's like it is. So, why all this hassle? Why not just make 'how long do you want to stay (max 6/12 mths)?' part of the original visa application, and charge accordingly on entry? If granted, to retain control, tourists should have to report their hotel/current address/contact information to an immigration office (maybe even electronically?) every 30 days or something (or 90 days for Non-O/:o. Wouldn't that be easier than the complicated 'you get x days on a multi entry, x days on a single, which you can extend x days, x times at x baht a time' rubbish that I saw as a tourist?

Just a thought. Anyway, now I don't have to sit on those awful buses/minivans any more to get to the border, I'll actually look forward to taking a day out of the routine every 3 months to do my visa.