Army commander confirms military’s readiness to keep order in Thailand

webfact

The Thai army chief has given an assurance that the military is able to maintain order and support peace in the country. 

Glad to hear that the RTA commander and chief understands the primary role of his forces and has the confidence that they can perform that role as those forces will inevitably be tested in the not-to-distant future.    Chaiyo!

2 hours ago, baboon said:

In which other of these countries do the army themselves decide what their duties are unilaterally and without any oversight? 

I can only think of Eritrea. In East Africa. The Army rules the Country, its people are not allowed to criticise the government, army etc. There are elections, but only one candidate, who apparently only get 98% of the vote. 

The Thai army chief has given an assurance that the military is able to maintain order and support peace in the country. 

Glad to hear that the RTA commander and chief understands the primary role of his forces and has the confidence that they can perform that role as those forces will inevitably be tested in the not-to-distant future.    Chaiyo!

By who? Oh! You mean the revolution! There's a lot of cake to be divided! I've always been fond of Trat, can I have Trat, uncle?

31 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

By who? Oh! You mean the revolution! There's a lot of cake to be divided! I've always been fond of Trat, can I have Trat, uncle?

No, no true revolution, just the continued dramatic lakorn series of who gets the biggest piece of the pie.  And as you well know, the birthday cake is only shared between intimates.  But it is good to remember the old Thai euphemism for politics, <removed> eat the country.  But yes, as my in-country home is in the once remote rural north, grab Trat if you can. If there are times of trouble a coming then I will feel safe in my village where the population is too small for the RTA to be concerned with.

16 hours ago, kotsak said:

It's funny when you think that the main purpose of the army is to protect the country from outside threats. :D

Having it to keep order in the inside reveals much about the state of the country.

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within.” -- Will Durant

Thank you for reminding me about Afro-Ninja and his pals!

:cheesy:

Edited by Enoon

11 hours ago, jesimps said:

For the people to decide not the military. The military is there to carry out the will of the people via the govt not the other way round.

That is what we would like to believe should happen but then reality kicks in! They are not a first world western nation and never will be.

Applies not only to Thailand. :coffee1: