Sondhi in good health in prison, Corrections Dept says

webfact

AFTER FIRST NIGHT

Sondhi in good health in prison, Corrections Dept says

The Nation September

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Corrections on Wednesday denied reports that Sondhi Limthongkul, a former media magnate and controversial political activist, was seriously ill after spending his first night behind bars.

"He is still detained in Klong Prem Central Prison and his health is in good condition," a statement by the department said.

On Tuesday, the former media tycoon was sentenced by the Supreme Court to 20 years in jail for forging corporate documents to solicit a Bt1.07-billion loan from Krungthai Bank in 1997.

Two others convicted in the same case who were handed tough sentences, Yupin Chanthana and Saowaluk Thiranuchanyong, former directors and executives of Manager Media Group, have congenital diseases, the statement said. However, their blood pressure was normal, it said.

The department added that the two women convicted in the case, who are detained at the Central Women Correctional Institution, would received medical check-ups by prison doctors later.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Sondhi-in-good-health-in-prison-Corrections-Dept-s-30294718.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-07

These kinds of statements by the Corrections Department usually come just before one of two things happens:

--the high-profile inmate ends up dying of some mysterious disease. or...

--the high profile inmate ends up getting moved to a hospital outside the prison.

Depending, on what kind of high profile inmate they are.

Well while I at least grudgingly applaud him for not fleeing and cowering from justice as certain others have done using/abusing their status, wealth and influence to have done so, I'll also wager he won't be in one of Klong Prem's infamous, inhuman 30 men to a cell, cells but a nice private air conditioned room with all mod cons, hookers, booze, good food on tap. 

11 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

The highest profile you can imagine….he has survived hundreds of M16 bullets and a few grenades lobbed at his car….now they got him.

Isn't it amazing how so many people who have never in their life even met this guy, are so keen to Kick Him When He's Down?

Okay, he's been convicted of a serious but not violent crime. As pointed out, he survived 100+ Bullets and he didn't "do a runner" as others have done when facing jail. I've watched him on TV numerous times and he has always behaved in a thoroughly decent manner. Sure, he's been convicted but WHY do small, mean-minded individuals like to "put the boot in"?  is it because they themselves are such Pure, Totally Honest Pillars of Society, or perhaps they are simply GLAD it was him who was caught.... and not them?

1 hour ago, Torrens54 said:

Isn't it amazing how so many people who have never in their life even met this guy, are so keen to Kick Him When He's Down?

Okay, he's been convicted of a serious but not violent crime. As pointed out, he survived 100+ Bullets and he didn't "do a runner" as others have done when facing jail. I've watched him on TV numerous times and he has always behaved in a thoroughly decent manner. Sure, he's been convicted but WHY do small, mean-minded individuals like to "put the boot in"?  is it because they themselves are such Pure, Totally Honest Pillars of Society, or perhaps they are simply GLAD it was him who was caught.... and not them?

You don't seem to know anything about what this guy has done? You think he's there because of forging some papers for a bank loan? LOL.

Prison refutes rumor yellowshirt founder Sondhi died

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

sondhiprison-resized.jpg

Sondhi Limthongkul consoles one of his co-defendants Tuesday as they were taken to prison to begin serving 20-year jail terms for fraud.

BANGKOK — Former media tycoon and political activist Sondhi Limthongkul is alive and serving his 20-year jail for fraud conviction, despite online rumors suggesting otherwise, director of the Klong Prem Central Prison said today.

He was responding to a rumor circulated on social media Wednesday morning that Sondhi, who’s credited with helping topple two governments and surviving attempted assassination, died of stroke in prison Tuesday night, hours after losing his final appeal of a conviction for fraud amounting to more than a billion baht.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/09/07/prison-refutes-rumor-yellowshirt-founder-sondhi-died/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-08

This story is in Thailand and says this is why he has to go to jail..... but meanwhile in the real world

On Tuesday, the former media tycoon was sentenced by the Supreme Court to 20 years in jail for forging corporate documents to solicit a Bt1.07-billion loan from Krungthai Bank in 1997.

Try search for a story from Asia Sentinel about this

34 minutes ago, carstenp said:

This story is in Thailand and says this is why he has to go to jail..... but meanwhile in the real world

Mafia Tycoon

I heard he only died for a couple of days then got better :coffee1:

50 minutes ago, carstenp said:

Dark years ahead. Expect to see more high profile personalities to be expunged. Finally sweet karma to  those who plotted against the people and democracy.

12 hours ago, Merylhighground said:

Why? he still has his sentence hanging over his head, Running off hiding like a terrified rat overseas doesn't cancel the sentence out you know....

They were enemies, perhaps you can't remember that far back.

Anyway, Thaksin did successfully avoid jail (remember he was allowed to) but his sworn enemy was too stupid to run back to China and  he,  Sondhi,  who has outlived his usefulness gets discarded.

Thaksin is certainly not a terrified rat at all because no country in the world will arrest him or deport him because most foreigners see the case was  politically motivated. Even Interpol would not accept the previous army's request to arrest him so that speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Edited by Hawk

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Anyway, Thaksin did successfully avoid jail (remember he was allowed to) but his sworn enemy was too stupid to run back to China and  he,  Sondhi,  who has outlived his usefulness gets discarded.

Thaksin is certainly not a terrified rat at all because no country in the world will arrest him or deport him because most foreigners see the case was  politically motivated. Even Interpol would not accept the previous army's request to arrest him so that speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Had Sondhi ran, you'd be calling him a coward acting like a typical hi-so elite, not standing up to his crimes. He didn't run, and so you call him stupid.

I've got no time for any of these political criminals, but those who say they are going to face justice and follow through on that promise, are one rung up from those who do the opposite.

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

Politically motivated?. That's what everyone says after they have been accused of crimes. So according to you, all 17 corruption cases cases against Taksin are politically motivated. So granting a huge loan to Burma (without going through Parliament) on condition they buy his satellite equipment is not a crime. Come off it! do you really know anything about the cases that he's been accused of. If you did, you wouldn't make such ridiculous statements.

I have a tale to tell about this A/H.  The year was 1990.  I was an investor and publisher of a trade publication which myself and others had bought from a journalist owner in Hkg.  After paying $150k we realised the deal was a dud.  Much of what had been offered in the S&P agreement had not been delivered on and we the buyers put the heat to the seller as well as refusing to pay the final $50k.  We were told we had to go to BKK to meet the partner, chief of the Manager publishing group.  We were to see none other than the Sondhi you are now reading about.   

I walked into the room to be confronted with a man sitting in a throne-like wooden chair (he looked ridiculous thinking back), he proceeded to launch into a tirade of how he would throw all the legal force at us to force us to pay.  After he finished I gave him a spray and the meeting ended abruptly with me giving him the middle finger and walking out.  

A month later we moved the publication to Malaysia and pulled the curtains on the HKG seller and his dodgy aloof partner Sondhi.  A bully in the true sense of the word he came back at us with all manner of threats to which we told him to bring it on.  Nothing ever happened.

So it with some pleasure I read that this hubris clown, a true prick in every sense of meaning will see his last days out in the Bangkok Hilton.  If his lawyer is reading this, tell him I send my regards and hope he is settling in just fine.  He may just remember me even if it only was for the royal salute I gave him.

Edited by scotchonrocks
Additions