Conditions of Work Permit for Permanent Residency holder

Hi. I have Permanent Residency of Thailand.

I've heard getting Work Permit is easier for PR holder. But I'd like to know how easy it is.

Usually the conditions for applying Work Permit is that employer's company must have 2 Million Bahts capital for a Work Permit and 4 Thai staff.

Does this rule apply for Permanent Residency holder ?

Or no need to satisfy these requirements for PR holder ?

Thank you very much.

At one time it was 1 million in registered capital and 2 Thai employees for those on PR or married to to a Thai. But in late 2010 or early 2011 they changed the ministerial regulation to 4 Thai employees. The 1 million baht registered capital was not changed.

There are some work permit offices that still follow the 2 employee rule for marriage but not sure about PR.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At one time it was 1 million in registered capital and 2 Thai employees for those on PR or married to to a Thai. But in late 2010 or early 2011 they changed the ministerial regulation to 4 Thai employees. The 1 million baht registered capital was not changed.

There are some work permit offices that still follow the 2 employee rule for marriage but not sure about PR.

When I did my first work permit renewal as a PR last year, I was told that the 1M baht capital / 2 Thai employee regulation would only apply to holders of O visas or marriage extensions and that PRs and holders of B visas or employment extensions that are married to Thai nationals must have an employer company that meets the 2M baht capital / 4 Thai employee regulation.

I am unsure if this is the actual regulation or the interpretation of my employer's Labour office branch, but as the company met the criteria of 2M capital + 4 Thais per WP anyway, I did not push for further explanation. If this is correct, then it is clearly one area where PRs are at a disadvantage to non-PRs.

Edited by Andrew Eldritch
spelling

As I am sure you are aware, the rules are changing all the time regarding Permanent Residency (PR), it's benefits, application procedures, visa renewal implications.

I too was told last year when I applied for PR, that once PR was issued, Work permit (WP)' renewal would become a 'rubber stamp exercise'(sic)

However, checking around, it would appear that it does not apparently offer any benefit at all with respect to WP application & renewal. But...

What it does offer is this - for many of us foreigners who live and work here legally in Thailand, there's still the threat that one day some official we've never seen before will decide that he doesn't like us, thunders into the office and cancels our WP. I've already had this happen once.

If the foreigner is staying here on an extension to his non-imm 'B' visa based on his WP, he now has to leave Thailand immediately(24hrs) or purchase a 1 week extension from his local immigration office to obtain a few days extra to potentially pack his bags and kiss Thailand, his family and his company goodbye. 'Fantastic - what a great way to live' :facepalm:

With PR, if your work permit is cancelled, your permission to stay here is NOT cancelled.  :thumbsup:

Accordingly, with PR, if your WP is cancelled for whatever reason, one takes a very long lunch break down the pub, during which (over the phone) one instructs the  company accountant to immediately apply for a new work permit... maybe even that day if you have all the paperwork handy.

Now then (here's the nice bit) the new WP can be applied for using your RP - you DON'T need to leave Thailand to obtain a new non-imm 'B' visa to support the new WP application. Nice :thumbsup:

Once the new WP application is approved, the labor office issues a WP-5, and with this piece of paper in hand (photocopied, laminated, hung around ones neck with a copy, laminated of your RP at all times) one can apparently return back to work almost immediately. Maybe even the same day if the 'bad Garuda' pounces on you early morning. :giggle:

It's not exactly a rubber stamp exercise, there's still all the usually business paperwork to get together, but you are not thrown out of the country with the task of finding a new non-imm 'B' in the process.

Now I know that many will not see this as not being much of a benefit, but in these days of every increasingly difficulty in obtaining any non-imm visa class,  I think the benefits of PR will appear more attractive as time goes by.  :wai2:

Some more info is available on the following web sites.

here http://www.boi.go.th/tir/issue/200908_19_7/94.htm 

more info... ttp://www.thailawonline.com/en/others/immigration-law/permanent-residency.html

Work Permit application with the PR book... http://www.interactivethailand.com/corporate/thailand-work-permit/

Edited by SteveB2
Spelling mistakes, again!
  • Like 2

Thank you very much all. I first thought no restriction of WP for a PR holder.

It seems the requirement of WP application, half capital and number of staff same to that of Non Immigrant (O) holder.

It is not big privilege of PR as I dreamed of. Nothing special for PR holder except for need no visa.

But being PR without worrying about visa helps me a lot.

And now I understood the condition clear.

Thank you guys. DOMO ARIGATOU ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ