Thai soldiers kill ‘logger’, injure second

geovalin

One Cambodian villager died and another was badly injured after they were shot by Thai soldiers on Tuesday while crossing illegally into Thailand from Oddar Meanchey province, local authorities said.

Six Cambodians were crossing the border with help from a broker to smuggle endangered rosewood, when Thai soldiers began firing at them, said Sao Buntheng, chief of Dan Tong village in Oddar Meanchey. Four of the smugglers escaped unharmed and made their way back home, but their two companions weren’t as lucky.

The dead man was identified as Ieth Oun, 31, from Anlong Veng district, while the injured man, identified as Dan Tong resident Hean Pol, 26, is still missing in the forest.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/thai-soldiers-kill-logger-injure-second

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 08/09

When the judiciary, the police, and the authorities are willing to do nothing, to stop a practice like illegal logging, or trafficking, or drug running, what can be done? I am not advocating vigilantism. And I am not saying a system like the one put into place by the madman Duterte in the PI is going to work either. A Philippine friend of mine was telling me the other day his brother was shot and killed, in cold blood, in front of his house, with his kids looking on, back in the PI. He was into politics, but as far as any of us know, had nothing to do with drugs. So, they are already using the tactics of the madman, to get rid of rivals, it would appear. Just as I feared would happen. When someone tells Duterte's men he is a drug dealer, what do you think happens?

Vigilanticism does have it's appealing elements. Why involve the police, and the courts, when you know they are always going to do the wrong thing? I am not sure what the solution is.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When the judiciary, the police, and the authorities are willing to do nothing, to stop a practice like illegal logging, or trafficking, or drug running, what can be done? I am not advocating vigilantism. And I am not saying a system like the one put into place by the madman Duterte in the PI is going to work either. A Philippine friend of mine was telling me the other day his brother was shot and killed, in cold blood, in front of his house, with his kids looking on, back in the PI. He was into politics, but as far as any of us know, had nothing to do with drugs. So, they are already using the tactics of the madman, to get rid of rivals, it would appear. Just as I feared would happen. When someone tells Duterte's men he is a drug dealer, what do you think happens?

Vigilanticism does have it's appealing elements. Why involve the police, and the courts, when you know they are always going to do the wrong thing? I am not sure what the solution is.

There is no solution. Just look at Chicago, USA. Sorry about your friends loss. Hope he helps the kids.