Extension of stay on Non Imm B: apply how long before visa expires?

I went to renew my work permit today, thinking I could get that “Letter of Approval” so that I can use that letter when applying for a new single entry non Imm B visa next week, since there is only about 3 weeks validity left on my current work permit after the date of expiry of my current permission to stay on Non Imm B visa.

However, I was told that such letter is only issued when one applies for a new work permit, not for renewal/extension of work permit. And since I only have 11 days left on my permission to stay, they could/would not process my work permit renewal application.

One of the supervisor explained that they would process it if I would have a stamp from immigration (Chaeng Wattana) saying that my application for “extension of stay” is under consideration (30 day stamp). So basically he explained that I should apply for an extension of stay on my current visa.

So my question is: would immigration accept an application for extension of stay from me, considering that there is only 11 days or less left before my current permission to stay on Non Imm B visa expires??

I would add that I know that one is suppose to get a first Non Imm B visa and then apply for an extension of stay, based on work. But since my employer cannot provide some of the required documents to support application for extension of stay (due to temporary financial difficulty), I have been getting consecutive single entry Non Imm B visas throughout the past 12 months during the validity of my current work permit. At this point I believe the company would still not be able to produce those required documents, this is why I now wanted to go for a new Non Imm B visa.

The supervisor also explained that another option would be to cancel the current work permit, then apply for a new work permit, to get that “Letter of Approval” and then go obtain a new Non Imm B visa.

In any case, to consider my options, I would like to know if immigration would accept an application for extension of stay from me, considering that there is only 11 days or less left before my current permission to stay on Non Imm B visa expires??

Thanks for any helpful answers!!

25 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

Thanks Ubonjoe !!

I would then ask: will it be a problem, when I apply for such extension of stay, based up on work, when the remaining validity on the work permit is just short of 1 month?

According to the rules the work permit only needs to be valid on the date you apply. But some office will want it to be valid longer.

Since you will be getting a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later their should not be a problem applying for the extension. You will just need to show your new work permit when you go back for the extension stamp.

Thanks again Ubonjoe!

So if the work permit is still valid for say 28 or 29 days, the IO officer will still accept the application for the

extension of stay then.

Will then check what the current document requirements are for such application.

Thanks for your help!!

With reference to my situation in my OP above, I wonder if someone can clarify the following:

1) When submitting application for "extension of stay", do you pay the fee before or after you get the "under consideration" stamp in your passport?

2) When submitting the application, does the IO already thoroughly scrutinize the documents before giving the stamp, or does the IO

only accept the set of documents without thoroughly checking?

3) If immigration considers the documents are not in order, even before getting the "under consideration stamp", does that effect the applicant's

current "permission to stay" (on Non Imm B visa)?

4) If after the consideration, the "extension of stay" is not granted, how much time does one have left before needing to exit the country?

5) If I receive my renewed work permit during the immigration's consideration period, and immigration subsequently does not grant

"extension of stay", can I then just go to a Thai consulate/embassy abroad, with the renewed work permit and apply for new

single entry Non Imm B visa?

Thanks for any clarification!!

47 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

With reference to my situation in my OP above, I wonder if someone can clarify the following:

1) When submitting application for "extension of stay", do you pay the fee before or after you get the "under consideration" stamp in your passport?

2) When submitting the application, does the IO already thoroughly scrutinize the documents before giving the stamp, or does the IO

only accept the set of documents without thoroughly checking?

3) If immigration considers the documents are not in order, even before getting the "under consideration stamp", does that effect the applicant's

current "permission to stay" (on Non Imm B visa)?

4) If after the consideration, the "extension of stay" is not granted, how much time does one have left before needing to exit the country?

5) If I receive my renewed work permit during the immigration's consideration period, and immigration subsequently does not grant

"extension of stay", can I then just go to a Thai consulate/embassy abroad, with the renewed work permit and apply for new

single entry Non Imm B visa?

Thanks for any clarification!!

1, 2  You do not pay the fee until they have thoroughly checked your documents to insure it is acceptable. After you pay the fee it will be checked by the officer who is authorized to sign the under consideration stamp.

3. No

4. If there is a problem with the application during the under consideration period they will not contact you or your employer about it and there will be a opportunity given to resolve the problem.  Very few are not approved and if not approved you will be given 7 days to leave the country.

5 Yes

Edited by ubonjoe
scratched out a typo

5 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

Thanks for the helpful replies as usual Ubonjoe!!

I assume under #4, you mean that if there is a problem, then immigration will contact me or my employer to give an opportunity to resolve whatever issue, right?

Thanks!

I just scratched out the not.