Mystery: One pin on plug overheating

cheeryble

Hi 

Why would one pin on a three pin plug (though cable to 3 pin socket is not earthed) get overheated?

If there was some sort of overload in the microwave it would burn both sides.

A friend said he had the same issue on a two pin and he untried it round it was ok

IS there a polarity issue with the socket?

FullSizeRender.jpg

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

It's probably loose and arcing inside.  Most likely not from over-current.

Yup, that looks like a poor connection inside the moulded plug.

Cut it off and replace with a new plug, you'll probably want to replace the outlet too as it's likely been damaged internally.

No.  AC circuits (almost) always don't care "polarity".  Otherwise, plugs and sockets would be shaped so they only fit one way.  The US actually had a plug like that for certain appliances did want neutral on a particular pin.  But, that's long gone now (I think).

Edit: Now that I think about it... There was (is?) a configuration for appliances needing up to 20 amps where it would only fit in a receptacle capable for that.  (Using a right-angle pin.)  Whatever.

Edited by bankruatsteve

1 hour ago, manarak said:

aaaah... polarity questions with AC current

No + or - but there is Live and Neutral.

Normally not an issue with modern appliances, but still important when single-pole switches (lights) and breakers are employed.

I have an oven that has blue and brown wires and, at the time I installed it, I didn't know which was for live.  So, I guessed wrong and connected the blue to live, brown to neutral.  The oven would not turn on.  Where's the manual?  IMPORTANT... the brown must be connected to live and blue to neutral.  So did that and the oven turns on.  I suspect for the same reason Crossy mentioned: that internally it must be using single pole switches.