Martial Law May Be Lifted

Jai Dee

Thai martial law may go as "new year gift"

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's post-coup government may lift martial law in most of the country as a "New Year gift" but will retain it in areas where it fears opposition is not dead, a senior official said on Friday.

"The lifting of the martial law will be made in line with what the Army Commander-in-Chief has said, that is as a New Year gift for the public," Winai Phatiyakul told reporters.

"But this is not for the whole country as it will be maintained in some areas. Some provinces are still feeling undercurrents," said Winai, a senior official of the National Security Council, a body formed by the coup leaders.

However, the exact timing appeared uncertain despite coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the first Muslim to head the army in predominantly Buddhist Thailand, telling CNN television that martial law would be lifted by the end of the year.

Sonthi, who led the coup which overthrew prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Sept. 19, said in an interview he wanted a return to normality as soon as possible.

Pressed repeatedly for a timetable, Sonthi said "when possible", "soon" and finally "yes" when asked if martial law would be lifted before the end of the year.

However, Defence Minister General Boonrod Somtat told reporters it could come a little after the New Year.

"It will be clearer in December. At the earliest, it will be before New Year, or at the latest it will be after New Year," he said."

Martial law has not been enforced in any visible way, but coup leaders have said repeatedly they were worried by "undercurrents" stirred by supporters of the ousted Thaksin, who still has widespread backing in the countryside.

The military staged their bloodless coup after accusing Thaksin's administration of rampant corruption and abuse of the law.

The country is now ruled by a military-appointed government headed by Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

Source: Malaysian Star - 25 November 2006

I live in a rural village and the soon to be lifted martial law has no visible effect around here. Who is affected by it and what are the effects?

Chownah

P.S. please no flaming my use of effect and affect....I've tried time and again to learn the right way but frankly I don't care....Chownah

I live in a rural village and the soon to be lifted martial law has no visible effect around here. Who is affected by it and what are the effects?

Chownah

P.S. please no flaming my use of effect and affect....I've tried time and again to learn the right way but frankly I don't care....Chownah

I agree. I live in a small town and see no effects, and nobody seems the least bothered by martial law as it doesn't affect what people do or want to do. Martial law seems to be debated more by foreigners, some NGO representives and politicians rather than ordinary people.

Chownah

It's mainly politicians and demonstrators opposed to the government and media which are affected.

Media has to be very careful what and how they publish, they have very clear guidelines from the government what they can, and what they cannot publish. At perceived infractions they will be called in and reprimanded, as the taxi driver case has shown, where ITV was reprimanded for screening the interview with said taxi driver.

In theory anti coup demonstratons are still illegal, though most are too small for the government to stop them. There were though reports that people from upcountry who wanted to join demonstrations in Bangkok were forcibly turned back.

Edited by ColPyat

Chownah

It's mainly politicians and demonstrators opposed to the government and media which are affected.

Media has to be very careful what and how they publish, they have very clear guidelines from the government what they can, and what they cannot publish. At perceived infractions they will be called in and reprimanded, as the taxi driver case has shown, where ITV was reprimanded for screening the interview with said taxi driver.

In theory anti coup demonstratons are still illegal, though most are too small for the government to stop them. There were though reports that people from upcountry who wanted to join demonstrations in Bangkok were forcibly turned back.

Hi Colpyat.

The effects don't sound any different from the practices of the previous government!

Chownah

I agree. I live in a small town and see no effects, and nobody seems the least bothered by martial law as it doesn't affect what people do or want to do. Martial law seems to be debated more by foreigners, some NGO representives and politicians rather than ordinary people.

Same, same here in these neck of the woods. No real change whatsoever to the daily life for citizens. Historically, as martial laws go, it's a very, very mild version. It's worth noting that Thaksin declared martial law in January 2004 for the southern provinces with far more repressive and restrictive actions. It's encouraging that the current administration is not so paranoid as to crackdown on the few tests thus far to its limits by the few handfuls of demonstrators, nor concerned by the lone, misguided suicide-bent taxi driver who's already faded from public interest. While the demonstrators could have been quite easily stopped, the government couldn't be bothered by their insignificance.

Edited by sriracha john

Chownah

Same, same here in these neck of the woods. No real change whatsoever to the daily life for citizens. Historically, as martial laws go, it's a very, very mild version. It's worth noting that Thaksin declared martial law in January 2004 for the southern provinces with far more repressive and restrictive actions. It's encouraging that the current administration is not so paranoid as to crackdown on the few tests thus far to its limits by the few handfuls of demonstrators, nor concerned by the lone, misguided suicide-bent taxi driver who's already faded from public interest. While the demonstrators could have been quite easily stopped, the government couldn't be bothered by their insignificance.

Any other rights and freedoms that you as a foreigner would like to give away on behalf of the Thai people? Have you incidentally overlooked the fact that the Junta has made demonstrations illegal so it's not very impressive to note there hasn't been a crackdown.It's rather more impressive that the PAD rallies before the coup passed off peacefully and without violence.

It's fatuous to say that because daily life hasn't changed much that there isn't discontent.My view is that it isn't of a rabid or revolutionary kind, but rather a dull low level dissatisfaction that the Thai majority has been conned.

Chownah

Any other rights and freedoms that you as a foreigner would like to give away on behalf of the Thai people? Have you incidentally overlooked the fact that the Junta has made demonstrations illegal so it's not very impressive to note there hasn't been a crackdown.It's rather more impressive that the PAD rallies before the coup passed off peacefully and without violence.

It's fatuous to say that because daily life hasn't changed much that there isn't discontent.My view is that it isn't of a rabid or revolutionary kind, but rather a dull low level dissatisfaction that the Thai majority has been conned.

Not noticed any real erosion of my "rights and freedoms" as a foreigner due to martial law, but it's why I made my comment earlier regarding citizens as the local citizens don't seem to have been all that bothered by it as well.

The absent crackdowns I was referring to were the attempts by a few dozen people strong and smaller groups that have protested. They've gone off without incident probably due to the government feelings they were insignificant.

A dull, low-level of dissatisfaction is an acceptable depiction of the situation, but feel it's due to the lack of any real impact on their lives as opposed to having felt "conned."

Edited by sriracha john

Hi Colpyat.

The effects don't sound any different from the practices of the previous government!

Yeps.

Only difference is that the regulations now are far stiffer than under the previous government, and that because of martial law their oppression of freedom of speach is actually legalised, sort of.

This "Pas de deux", this mucho calliente tango dancing, is really pathetic :

-martial law may be, might, could be lifted.

-yesterday, tomorrow, next week and now for "happy new year" as a "gift"...

What's next ? Santa Claus landing with moon boots on the Rama IX bridge and giving away gold ?

Wake up Thailand ! Be serious. We need a real government.

Before the whole mess started we had one. Given, it was far from ideal, actually, a rather bad one. But it was at least a government.

And if it comes to elections next year, then presently chances are that Banharn's Chart Thai will form the next elected government, given the influx of ex TRT MPs into Chart Thai. Which will be a catastrophy, if anyone cares to recall his last shortlived tenure as PM.

Straight back into godfather and backdoor politics...

Before the whole mess started we had one. Given, it was far from ideal, actually, a rather bad one. But it was at least a government.

And if it comes to elections next year, then presently chances are that Banharn's Chart Thai will form the next elected government, given the influx of ex TRT MPs into Chart Thai. Which will be a catastrophy, if anyone cares to recall his last shortlived tenure as PM.

Straight back into godfather and backdoor politics...

You are jumping the gun, there's plenty of other candidates, Somkit, backed by Somsak, or Chaturon backed by the TRT faithful, even Chavalit recalling all his NAP faithful.

Hang on! These are all ex TRT MPs, the ex- government, I thought they were united, an institution, united under the ideals of 'Think anew, do new' under the great visionary.

So quickly are the ideals broken!

The Democrats are the only party in Thailand prepared to be in government or opposition.

Chownah

I lived in a rural village for over a decade and rarely saw any "law" at all. The only policemen we saw either arrived after a serious crime, usually murder, had been committed in the tamboon (sub-district), or when my pal Ai Deng would show up in uniform drunk while visiting family. What little government presence exists in the villages I am familar with, excluding the local kamnaan, tended to be teachers and the occasional "development" or health outreach worker.

You are jumping the gun, there's plenty of other candidates, Somkit, backed by Somsak, or Chaturon backed by the TRT faithful, even Chavalit recalling all his NAP faithful.

Hang on! These are all ex TRT MPs, the ex- government, I thought they were united, an institution, united under the ideals of 'Think anew, do new' under the great visionary.

So quickly are the ideals broken!

The Democrats are the only party in Thailand prepared to be in government or opposition.

I think you are confusing something here :o - i have never claimed that TRT is a unified organisation stiffly organised under Thaksin. I though that was the claim of your pals, who compared Thaksin with Hitler, and therefore had to be brought down with not exactly democratic means.

I have always stated that Thaksin was only masterfully balancing the different groups of vested interests that found themselves together in TRT. And, if left alone, would have dug his own grave. You can't keep completely opposing fractions together forever.

The Democrats presently are prepared for nothing other than being a void. Abhisit is excelling by his utter absence, leaving Chuan to make political comments.

And as there are about 40 million voters who get to hear nothing from the Democrats, no policies, or anything, i have difficulties to see them as anything else than a small party in the opposition after the next elections, getting votes from the southerners and a few people in the cities.

Would have been different if the coup would not have happened and the Democrats would have been given the time to formulate policies that might have been an alternative to TRT populism.

But no, i might be mistaken, since last week they have 'sapha joke' again on TV, and Abhisit was represented. :D

And yes, Chavalit & Co are setting up their parties, but presently they will be nothing else than coalition partners for the biggest party, and then fighting over control of profitable positions. And we will be right back into the inoperable governments of the 90s.

Or, who knows, maybe the junta will allow Thaksin back in, and the mess starts again. Wouldn't make that much of a difference anyhow, as the present government has so far followed almost every Thaksin policy to the letter.

...may lift martial law

Will free press and freedom of speach re-established? Can they handle criticism?

I am not quite sure re-established is the right word. Re-established to how they were when? Most international measures of freedom of speech and meida rated it as quite low under the previous government. If I remember correctly it was probably at its freest during the Chuan governments or even the Banharn one. Under these governments the Thai media was seen as the freest in the region. Unfortunately that slipped quite badly under Mr. Thaksin, and is now obviously controlled even if quite lightly in comparison to what would normally be expected under military rule.

It would be good to see Thailand get back to the freedoms it enjoyed 6 years or so ago.

Martial law in Thailand to continue in some areas

Defense minister General Boonrawd Somtas said martial law would be lifted next month in all of the country's 76 provinces except for seven -- four in the north and three in the troubled south, the English-language daily Nation said. The general said the junta would maintain martial law in Thaksin's stronghold in the north because some groups were "still active in politics" and kept close contacts with the ousted premier, the newspaper reported.

"We have to maintain martial law in those four provinces in order to prevent these groups of people from trying to make political moves," the defense minister was quoted by the Nation as saying. The general argued that these groups were active "in the belief that Thaksin will soon return to Thailand and re-enter politics," the daily said.

Thaksin was in New York during Thailand's September coup, which toppled his government. He then spent a month in London, where he has a home, and has since circled Thailand in travels around Asia, including visits to Beijing, Hong Kong and Bali. The post-coup government has said Thaksin should not return home until a new government is in place following elections slated for next year.

Earlier in the month, the Nation reported the junta had detected "secret cells" in Thaksin's stronghold in the north that aimed to destabilize the post-coup political situation. Thaksin, a self-made billionaire, was Thailand's fourth-richest businessman before the coup. Populist measures during his time in office, such as pouring money into rural economies, boosted his stock with the poor in the north.

The junta would also keep martial law in the three Muslim-majority southern provinces of Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani on the border with Malaysia, the newspaper reported. More than 1,600 people have been killed in the restive region in near daily violence since January 2004.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 November 2006